Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Nano Battery Life

Options
  • 30-09-2005 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Anyone got one?

if so, what do you think of the battery life? out of full battery i find after 1 hr of play the battery goes to bout half! i thaught it was meant to have 14 hr battery life???

someone enlighten me plz! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Like with any MP3 player, mobile phone, digital camera, or anything with a lithium-ion battery, it'll take a little while before you'll get the full potential battery life out of it - and to do so you'll have to charge it fully and let it discharge fully a few times. Give it a while and wait and see if it improves for you.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bard wrote:
    Like with any MP3 player, mobile phone, digital camera, or anything with a lithium-ion battery, it'll take a little while before you'll get the full potential battery life out of it - and to do so you'll have to charge it fully and let it discharge fully a few times. Give it a while and wait and see if it improves for you.

at the risk of both maligning and misunderstading bart:

don't do this!! :eek:
    This advice is based on old Ni-Cd batteries and similar.
    It is actually bad for Lithium bats to do this. Google it.
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

On the original topic, the bars are often a bad indication of how long
    is left on the battery. Charge it fully and see how long you get, it
    depends on what type of file you are playing but if you get less than
    10 hours return it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've heard that using the 'shuffle' function wears down the battery faster...

Could this be true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've heard that using the 'shuffle' function wears down the battery faster...

Could this be true?
    shuffle function sucks the life out of the battery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

Thanks 4 all the info :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

daveym wrote:
    at the risk of both maligning and misunderstading bart:

don't do this!! :eek:
    This advice is based on old Ni-Cd batteries and similar.
    It is actually bad for Lithium bats to do this. Google it.
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery
    Jaysus, that makes interesting reading! I guess i'll be changing my recharging habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Correct: you shouldn't always fully discharge and then charge. But if the Li-Ion battery is new or there appears to be an issue: then do it once or twice. (And do a full discharge every so often-although, chances are this will happen anyway..)

The suffle function of the Nano shouldn't drain as much power as HDD based music players-but it will drain a bit more than normal/sequential play..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

DONT but new gadgets!!
    Wait for the world to test them and find all there faults, then decide whether its worth paying WAY to much for something :rolleyes: . I would be VERY careful of that screen, thousands of people are sending them back as the screen cracks liketinfoil :eek: . There are also loads of people complaining about the battery life on them.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/28/technology/personaltech/ipod_nano/index.htm?cnn=yes

Crisis, before you all rush out and buy 1 of these, trawl the net a bit :eek: . These things have some major flaws. People reckon you just stare at this thing hard enough and it will break :p . Very flimsy, your gonna have to handle this thing like a sheet of glass :cool: .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

This posts are actually starting to scare me! I bought a nano last week but now i'm starting to re-evaluate my desire for it

Actually i hoping something does go wrong as i want a ipod mini instead :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

No need to worry at all lads, have a read of this:
    Stress test
    To simulate everyday accidents that could result in a broken iPod, we came up with a few situations that we felt would ultimately leave the nano lifeless:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

This is how apple estimate the battery life.

-Fully charge
    -Turn off back light
    -Change play mode to [Repeat 1 song]
    -Play a song

- see how long it lasts

Obviously it doesnt need to search the hard drive for more songs, buffers the same one over and over so it lasts long.

:rolleyes:

No need to worry at all lads, have a read of this:
    Stress test

Weird. There are 2 guys on steam forums, they reckon they where opening the packaging and the Nano fell on the floor. It broke open on contact :rolleyes: . There have already been hundreds sent back due to the screens cracking. They say you should not even sit down with this thing in your pocket or the screen may crack. I dont think all these peeps are making it up :confused: .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

FFS stingy bastards are still not using li-polymer. Probably so they can charge you 100's to open it up in 2 years and replace it with another sh ite battery.

Advertisement