Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP White v1.5

• 30-09-2005 10:24am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got a White PSP V1.5 from Singapore for €150 - brother was out there and got 2. Also got a couple of 1gb memory sticks to boot. Cant wait to get it tonight and fire it up.

Any advice as to what to put on it first

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

damn you.

i want one.

i reckon umd emulator o.8c is pretty useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

It's unlikely to be a v1.5 if it's a white one. I think they were all made as v2.0. Mine arrived from Lik-Sang on Wednesday and was definitely a v2. It's a v1.5 now though!

I'm still waiting on Play to deliver my games, so all I have at the moment is a lovely white emulating machine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Oh its a 1.5 all right - already been checked

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

what are the extra features on the whitey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Whiteness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

lardboy wrote:
    It's unlikely to be a v1.5 if it's a white one. I think they were all made as v2.0. Mine arrived from Lik-Sang on Wednesday and was definitely a v2. It's a v1.5 now though!

I'm still waiting on Play to deliver my games, so all I have at the moment is a lovely white emulating machine.

Did you get charged tax/customs ordering from Lik-Sang?

It's good to know they're downgradeable :)

Whiteness.

I read in a mag that there were some better feature,not only software but hardware too. But I cant remember what they were..
    I wasn't looking for a sarcastic answer.. :mad:

Hakko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The square button has a different design and the buttons along the bottom have been raised slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

There is no hardware differene. I'm a games journalist and unless something's gone seriously awry I'd have noticed and reamed sony for it. The main difference is whiteness, the secondary ones are directly above.

I'm a rocket scientist and there is a hardware difference with the White PSP.

dsc006287yu.jpg
    The buttons are clearly higher than the black one in the pic and when I compare it to my one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

My name is Big Ian, and I dispute your so-called ‘photographic evidence’. Everyone knows black makes things look slimmer.
    I wasn't looking for a sarcastic answer.. :mad:

You'll have to get used to that kind of thing if you're staying around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The buttons are clearly higher than the black one in the pic and when I compare it to my one.

The buttons on a black PSP are actually transparent so probably look smaller then the white ones which are not transparent and just solid white.

There is no difference between the machines [execpt the colour]. I seriously doubt they would have changed anything within a year of launch. And if they had done then every games website and blog would have had something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

You are also looking at them in different perspectives.
    A tad stupid if you ask me.

monument wrote:
    My name is Big Ian, and I dispute your so-called ‘photographic evidence’. Everyone knows black makes things look slimmer.

You'll have to get used to that kind of thing if you're staying around here.

I suppose, it wasn't the first time i've seen awful sarcasm here..
    anyway not trying start a row or anything so enough..

Hakko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

white psp's clearly look better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

why did they release these after everyone got the black ones?

to make you want both ?

no idea, look at silver ps2 , also slimline.
    rumour has it [engadget] that they are thinking of releasing psp with a harddrive soon, to compete with ipod etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Mossy Monk wrote:
    why did they release these after everyone got the black ones?
    so people will go "whoa" and want a white one...

anyway, lots of people are case-modding their psp's. some quite snazy ones out there if you look it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I like the white one ... would look better with the white earphones that you get.

The rumour about the Hard Drive was just a blog ranting by someone. If you have ever seen inside a PSP you will know how little space there is to spare inside it, so the chances of actually fitting in a hard drive, even one of the 1" ones are slim to none for a few more years until they can make the internal components even smaller, if thats even possible at this stage let alone economicly sound.

For a hard drive I can see only one ofd two possibilities, a external USB hard drive that runs through the USB 2.0 port on the top of the PSP, or some sort of external hard drive that runs through the MemoryStick Duo slot.

There has already been some bits of homemade stuff to use a similar technique. I know of one which ran a ribbon strip from the MemoryStick Duo slot into a pcb board which had a Compact Flash reader built into it. The PSP reportedly took a 4gb Compact Flash card no problem, iirc.

i think they already have a 6gb hitachi drive working with the psp.
    il post link monday, in my work email.

• Advertisement

anything is possible with electronics. things can be made as small as possible but it probably wouldn't be worth it costwise...could they not use flash memory instead of disk.?

Hakko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

That's what I had thought. If you could use a usb a to b cable then someone could make a handy bit of homebrew to make peespy (tm) read direct from a USB key?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

netman wrote:
    Did you get charged tax/customs ordering from Lik-Sang?

It's good to know they're downgradeable :)

Yup. Got stung by a €93 charge by the UPS man. That completely negated any saving on the PSP and 1gig memory stick that I ordered, which was a bit galling, but it's a lovely piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The only difference with the white one (apart from colour) is the square button, it looks the same but they've moved the contact underneath the button so it feels better and eliminates any chance of the sticky square button that plagued the first batch of PSPs. I'd imagine new Black ones have had the same redesign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

lardboy wrote:
    Yup. Got stung by a €93 charge by the UPS man. That completely negated any saving on the PSP and 1gig memory stick that I ordered, which was a bit galling, but it's a lovely piece of work.

I hate customs. They made me CRY!

Saw this post and thought of this thread ;)
    http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showpost.php?p=626519&postcount=118

"Apart from cosmetic differences there are more changes which make it better than the black PSP (imo). First of all the square button is fixed, Sony denied for a long time it was broken and it was "designed that way", but they've changed the design so it's infinitely more responsive then the black PSP. Secondly all four face buttons (X, O etc) stand out more, offers more feedback and the responsiveness is better. Thirdly the analogue nub is improved, it allows for greater accuracy in it's control; and finally the D-Pad is far, far improved, it's much easier hitting the diagonals (perfect for emu's) and overall just feels nicer."

And from someone else in the same thread.
    "The raised buttons seem a little strange, there does seem to be a lot more movement because they are raised on the rubber holders.

As others have said, build quality does seem to have been improved, the UMD drive doesn't rattle like it did on my first gen black PSP and the shoulder buttons also seem to be improved."

Advertisement