Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinda technical - messed up BIOS on a router

• 30-09-2005 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

This is a long shot, but does anybody have any inspiration re: the following problem:

Basically, I was flashing the firmware on a ZyWall 35 when my piece o crap Dell box, which had gone the last 3 weeks without a crash, decided to reset itself. I don't have a clue how far along the upload process was.

The LAN ports, and the RS232 round the back, are completely unresponsive. The WAN ports seem to be alright, but I can't test them as ping/remote admin/etc on the WAN side is disabled by default.

Am I now in possession of a large paperweight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Better post here. Maybe a better audience?

I would've thought that with an RS232 port you can force a flash over TFTP?
    I've no experience with that router though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Were you trying to flash the ZyWall over the web interface, in-band telnet or via a VT100 serial connection?
    Most routers have 3 levels of flashy ability, the top-level/browser, then the IP telnet/serial port and then there's the bare-bones-we're-fúcked-recovery-method. I usually go for the latter as the other two are unreliable.

Advertisement