Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net 1 Wireless broadband

• 30-09-2005 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Does anyone use Net 1 wireless broadband ?? I see they are expanding in the north west region and I was thinking of signing up with them. For €50 bucks a month you get the following : -

HOME/SOHO

Price: €47 (£29) inc. vat

Download/Upload: 1100/1100

Contention : 25:1

Download limit :NONE

Pretty good IMO. you could get a VoIP phone with that and get rid of your Eircon phone bill. So what does everyone think ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

i was living in Julianstown for a while and they quoted me €300 for installation:eek: So needless to say I did not sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I'm a net1 customer.
    One of their install team was without a doubt the thickest rudest brute of a man that has ever walked the earth and I know there's a lot of competition for that accolade.
    I pay them €99 p/m for 2mb/2mb service
    I get about a quarter of that on a good day.
    i don't have many good hours let alone days.
    I have pings so bad people think I'm making it up so therefore no VoIP even though they advertise a VoIP product on their website.
    I'm assured in a few months when they dump IBB and head to another provider it will improve.
    the two blokes in the tech support office are great guys, after that no commment (plenty of comments but profanity should be avoided on a family forum)
    If it doesn't improve (and since I don't have any alternative providers in my area) I will consider engaging the services of someone who will make them listen to me by whatever means necessary and I'm not joking here.
    Wait a few months and see if the change of attitude by their supplier improves things.
    Anything you specifically want to know ask away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

wow, thats pretty hard hitting !! Im seriously thinking twice of even talking to them. The thing is I place an order with Digiweb back on the 27th July and Im still waiting for a technican to install it. Sounds like Net1 arent much better.

If the speeds reached are really that bad i wouldnt bother

Maskhadov wrote:
    wow, thats pretty hard hitting !! Im seriously thinking twice of even talking to them. The thing is I place an order with Digiweb back on the 27th July and Im still waiting for a technican to install it. Sounds like Net1 arent much better.

If the speeds reached are really that bad i wouldnt bother

No talk to them by all means.
    There's worse to deal with, I got fed total fiction by digiweb and no matter how much people love them I would have nothing to do with them.
    Do realise the problem is Irish Broad Band and that until they're sorted out by Net1 cannot improve rather than will not.
    And that brings us back to the lumbering troglodytes of comreg who are so slow when dealing with all the bureaucracy they insist on inflicting on everyone.
    In their favour they have good tech support and unlike IBB actually notice what is happening on the network.
    I can say that the installation team were really nice barring the one bloke and I'm simply not the type who will take it, and especially not in my home and when it's my property.
    Talk to either of the tech support people, (ring the landline number rather than the free phone is my suggestion) and you will get an accurate idea from them about how long it will take before IBB are sorted.

Btw by my standards that was a tame outburst.

Thanks a million for the post vampyre, very helpful. I'll do some more investigation.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Net1 they got some allocations under the group broadband scheme which means in those areas their connection charges etc are lower. However because those grants were made in batches it is very tough going to get everything done in the short time frame the dept insist on (even for bureaucrats this is fairly weird). They did connect me quite quicky and any full blown outages were storm damage and an esb failure. In time, and hopefully sooner than later I imagine they will provide a good service. And from what I hear from other people the villans of the piece are as usual comreg that exist only to prevent any progress for everyone everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

vampyre wrote:
    I'm assured in a few months when they dump IBB and head to another provider it will improve.

Oh Dear , tell us whan they escape the dread clutches of IBB !!!!

I don't know what their game plan is but unlike some companies they are not deaf to customer complaints so I have faith that they will do something to remedy things. One thing in their favour in imo is that they're not squandering their resources on massive advertising campaigns unlike other companies we can mention. Their resources appear to go where they should.
    And Sponge Bob your sig about the postal service just makes me want to weep. How can it take 16 days for a letter to get from one end of Co Meath to the other? Who knows how long to deliver to a pineapple under the sea?

The postal service is a pathetic joke. The fact we dont have postcodes alone is humilating.

I really hope Net1 gets its act together and provides what it says it does. Im waiting since the 27th of July on Digiweb and I might just go with NET1 instead (providing they contact me back, I have just been getting their answering machine)

vampyre wrote:
    I'm a net1 customer.
    One of their install team was without a doubt the thickest rudest brute of a man that has ever walked the earth and I know there's a lot of competition for that accolade.
    I pay them €99 p/m for 2mb/2mb service
    I get about a quarter of that on a good day.
    i don't have many good hours let alone days.
    I have pings so bad people think I'm making it up so therefore no VoIP even though they advertise a VoIP product on their website.
    the two blokes in the tech support office are great guys, after that no commment (plenty of comments but profanity should be avoided on a family forum)
    If it doesn't improve (and since I don't have any alternative providers in my area) I will consider engaging the services of someone who will make them listen to me by whatever means necessary and I'm not joking here.
    Wait a few months and see if the change of attitude by their supplier improves things.
    Anything you specifically want to know ask away.

Hi vampyre. Has your service improved much in the last few months ? A net1 technican is supposed to call out to me in the next 10 days, I was just wondering what the service is like now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Maskhadov wrote:
    Hi vampyre. Has your service improved much in the last few months ? A net1 technican is supposed to call out to me in the next 10 days, I was just wondering what the service is like now.

You might find this thread useful:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054860438

hello there Maskhadov
    like many net1 customers I am awaiting the big change over to c&w which I hope is only hours away. Since all service issues are IBB related I hope that everything will improve once they are out of the picture.
    I had technical problems that were not ultimately net1 but I had to start somewhere and got great help, in fact he who usually posts on their behalf is a veritable prince among men if he happens to be reading :p and to be fair they have kept their existing customers fairly well informed of what's (at times not) happening. I assume once all this is fixed up and running smoothly they can focus on other aspects of the business.

thanks for the post there. i think Net1 will get their house in order so Ill defintely get the order in. Its just the Irish Broadband thing that is worrying. Roll on C&W

IBB will be history within days at most, but more likely hours. Will update on the new and improved service when it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Yeah, i`d be interested in hearing your update then too.
    Ive signed up on the website form thing for the Lite package. Its sdesperate hard to get the engineers on the fone, as its them you need to talk to, cause the woman that answers doesnt know much about broadband and takes your details to be called back, which doesnt always happen from my experience.

ps: Whos this C+W crowd?

C&W would be cable and wireless.
    I have never spoken to a woman from net1 but I have tortured one poor soul so much he probably needs therapy by now.

vampyre wrote:
    C&W would be cable and wireless.
    I have never spoken to a woman from net1 but I have tortured one pooe soul so much he probably needs therapy by now.

Cable and Wireless have fibre along the N2 , it comes from Armagh to Monaghan to Dublin, been there 10 years or so and is not massive capacity IIRC but better than IBB , probably :p

Thanks vampyre. Hopefully it will mean more regular broadband speeds.

Did the service improve yet ?

tracert www.net1.ie

• Advertisement

Damned if I know :D:D
    Certainly didn't happen at the expected hour but then what does and last night there was a esb power failure in Vampy Land. It seems to be switched across but perhaps this is a temporary system. I do not know but at least I'm able to say there is an improvement but I'm not trying to do anything today anyway. Besides it only ever acts up when I want to download music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm a long-time (well... nearly two years) customer of Net1.ie and I've stuck with them all this time, even though there were quite a few rough patches, because, well - a few reasons: - there isn't much choice when it comes to wireless broadband in the north east ... when I signed up with them I was living in Ardee and they were looking for test sites in Ardee at the time (so I wasn't charged for installation or my first few months rental... nice!) - they're a nice bunch of lads and I always found them to react pretty quickly to any support issue - and they're not that expensive.

Now that their connection with Cable & Wireless has gone live (today) and they've managed to leave their Irish Broadband woes behind, things can only get better. I noticed a huge speed improvement today myself.

Where I work, we're agents for Irish Broadband, and we sell their "RipWave" product..., but still I find myself recommending Net1 to customers again and again because they've simply got better coverage, better service and a more reliable connection than IBB (now that they're not reliant on IBB as an upstream provider, of course!).

Bard wrote:
    I'm a long-time (well... nearly two years) customer of Net1.ie and I've stuck with them all this time, even though there were quite a few rough patches, because, well - a few reasons: - there isn't much choice when it comes to wireless broadband in the north east ... when I signed up with them I was living in Ardee and they were looking for test sites in Ardee at the time (so I wasn't charged for installation or my first few months rental... nice!) - they're a nice bunch of lads and I always found them to react pretty quickly to any support issue - and they're not that expensive.

Now that their connection with Cable & Wireless has gone live (today) and they've managed to leave their Irish Broadband woes behind, things can only get better. I noticed a huge speed improvement today myself.

Where I work, we're agents for Irish Broadband, and we sell their "RipWave" product..., but still I find myself recommending Net1 to customers again and again because they've simply got better coverage, better service and a more reliable connection than IBB (now that they're not reliant on IBB as an upstream provider, of course!).

Indeed there has been a huge improvement today and without IBB it has to be much better. Hopefully it's going to stay this good :) and certainly even now the north east has very little choice and eircom being even more useless than usual so net1 should do well out of that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

Bard what package are you on? Im on the 1100mb/sec and these are my speeds:
    The test page loaded in 6.203 seconds, indicating a throughput of 569kbps.

This is the Net1 speedtest page: http://goldenmonkey.net1.ie/speedtest/

What speeds are you getting?

57k ? seems a bit on the low side for a 1100mb line:(

is that number might actual download speeds ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

That seems like a crap test site. Try this one. Download from the european server.

Advertisement