Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful intel when considering a vid card upgrade

Options
  • 30-09-2005 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Considering the stickies and the number of threads about videocards, I thought this link could prove useful and informative -

Anandtech BF2 shootout

Mods, feel free to lift the linkie and sticky it if appropriate :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Doesnt say what pc its running on or did i miss it, i installed bf2 on an x300 and it runs 800x600 t about 50 fps with some tweaking.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I don't think it's particularly relevant - it's meant to be a comparative study of graphics cards' respective performances with BF2, using the same PC, I believe.

I could be wrong, but (i) it's Anandtech and (ii) I don't think it would make much sense to compare the same BF2 graphics configuration between a P4 1.6 GHz with an X300 and an AMD64 3400+ with a 7800GTX, kinda-thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ambro25 wrote:

I could be wrong, but (i) it's Anandtech and (ii) I don't think it would make much sense to compare the same BF2 graphics configuration between a P4 1.6 GHz with an X300 and an AMD64 3400+ with a 7800GTX, kinda-thing ;)

Exactly people with x300s wont have a p4 HT or Amd 64 so it is relevant what the pc is especially ram wise.

Btw Pc i was on had sempron 2800 and 512 32oo ram.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Well, OK...

All the same, I thought it was useful, as it answers a lot of 'what ifs' when Boarders are considering one graphic card or the other.

In all honesty, when you're considering a 7800GTX, you're hardly going to try to marry that with a PIII 750 and 128M of RAM, are you? I mean, people still have to do a little homework before shelling out, re. what can their MoBo take, what are the game's requirements, etc, etc.

ATi 9700 Pro (non-O/C) 2nd-hand w Zahlmann VGA cooler, AMD64 3k+, 1GB DDR RAM (2700) here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Well, the lack of a PIII chipset with PCIe support might be an obstacle in that case anyways...

• Advertisement
Advertisement