Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**** nas

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I thought rakim invented it or someone earlier than nas. Anyhow noone really invents these things they just borrow and evolve something already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I guess Kane and Rakim were the fathers of rap(although no doubt they got inspiration from others),Nas built upon there style extensively and there can be no doubt that the likes of Mobb Deep,Jigga copied Nas's style to a great amount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

When Half Time dropped Nas was something like 20(I think) and it (Half Time) was completely Peerless as far as style is concerned, Nas listed Rakim and Kane as influences but his style differs from theirs, that said Nas a guru sound very similar, but then again the've known eachother for something like 25 years, it's bound to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭hiphopfanno1

I don't think Nas is a s*** rapper or anything,because God knows, he certainly isn't s*** but I think S.D was very weak and for those of you who say he isn't pop thats not true I know some eleven year olds who sing his songs. I Can and Bridging the Gap were pop songs and he was in Jlo's pop song 'I'm gonna be alright' the remix. 50 is pop sometimes-Candyshop, but he admits it

Orizio wrote:
    I guess Kane and Rakim were the fathers of rap(although no doubt they got inspiration from others),Nas built upon there style extensively and there can be no doubt that the likes of Mobb Deep,Jigga copied Nas's style to a great amount.

How so, i dont think mobb deep sound anything like nas at all and their style is in no way simular. Compare mobb deeps first albums and nas's there totally different. Jigga is also fairly different from nas I dont see how he coppied his style either but id have to say mobb deep are nothing like nas in anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Kristok wrote:
    How so, i dont think mobb deep sound anything like nas at all and their style is in no way simular. Compare mobb deeps first albums and nas's there totally different. Jigga is also fairly different from nas I dont see how he coppied his style either but id have to say mobb deep are nothing like nas in anyway.

Prodution wise no doubt,but lyrically and technically?Mobb Deep and Jigga(who admittedly changed somewhat over the years) used the same literate thug/street poet style that Nas pioneered on Illmatic.

Production wise mobb deep do their own if nas sounds like them its because havoc did production for nas. On his first album production by primo, pete rock et all was so different from the erie production on the first modd beep album. Lyrically nas and mobb deep talk about totally different things. I dont think nas ever tried to be a thug he talked about what happened but mobb deep talk about how they are thugs. Id personally look at it like early nas was like a reporter telling a story and mobb deep are people bragging about how they did things. Neither where the first to talk about the street they both went at it from different angles. Technically nas is a hands down better rapper prodigy on his best day cant hold a light to nas but he has his own style that again is totally different to anything nas does and havoc well hes not worth mentioning, excellent producer not so good rapper. I just dont see how if you compare both The Infamous and Illmatic you can say mobb deep got any inspiration from nas they just sound totally different in every way. Well to me anyway.

Jigga I can maby see where your coming from his first album was excellent and perhaps inspired by what nas did but id say more akin to what big did. Hes sorta a combination of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

50, IMO, is absolutly rubbish, right along with Jay-Z, Ja Rule, some of Snoops stuff, Puffy, Kayne West, R Kelly and most of those other RnB rappers. The all copy the same stuff, there lyrics are always about the same things. The only way they shift there god-awful music is by appealing to the lowest common denominator, sex appeal, guarenteed to get the girls going nuts and rushing to buy there albums. The only reason that I would actualy watch there music videos is for the girls, it is the only good thing on them.

Would it kill them to come up with some decent, origional themes for there music without having to resort to sex to shift there songs off the shelves. Eminem has always had mostly decent origional music and his earlier albums were the best. I have not heard of anything by NaS, but 2Pac was an excellent rapper, and he was by far the best out there.

As people have said, commercial success is not a measure of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You haven't heard anything by Nas but then claim 2pac was by far the best out there. What leads you to believe Nas isn't better than 2pac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

2Pac was by far the best out of all the ones that I heard. And in my opinion he was one of the best rappers before he was shot. That said, I dont want to say weither or not NaS was better until I here some of his music, particularly the songs of his mentioned on these boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

1. i can't believe this thread was ever started!

2. i can't believe people use Nas and 50 Cent in the same sentence!

3. not sure who made the comment about people who bought 50s Get Rich when it tirst dropped knew him from mix-tapes. Lets face it, its only really real hip-hop heads that are buying mixtapes. 50s album sold a hell of a lot of copies, 17m or something. there are not 17m people out there buying mixtapes who can push an underground album to number 1 worldwide. its all about creating a commercial Hip-POP album that will sell to 14 year old white kids with baggy trousers and bandanas who want to be "Gangsta"

4. Illmatic is a hip-hop classic, i don't like everything Nas has put out, but he has created music that will stand the test of time. In ten years time 50 cent is going to be the MC Hammer of current times (I hope!!!)

Advertisement