Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dialup without phone line

• 30-09-2005 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

My friend is living in Sallins and needs internet access for college work. There is no phone line in the house and she does not wish to pay for a phone line. She doesn't think she needs broadband and can't afford it. Her course requires her to dial in two evenings a week. Is there any affordable option available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

wireless.

ibb and digiweb

google em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Also Clearwire. I have them in Naas, Kilcullen road but don't think they reach Sallins. Very good, I have to say.

www.clearwire.ie
    or ring them on 1800 882 333

They will even come out to your house with a "modem" to make sure it works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Irish Broadband does a range of always on dial-up services. I don't think they're that much cheaper than the broadband services offered by other companies, though.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Irish Broadband does a range of always on dial-up services. I don't think they're that much cheaper than the broadband services offered by other companies, though.

ROTFLMAO :)

Almost correct Blaster, Although IBB do offer dial up services, their not always on.

So maybe, "nearly always on, nearly dial-up services are offered by IBB" would be a better representation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ripwave, broadband speeds out of the box, and dial up speeds when in use. :D
    all for 18.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

and the one thing people seem to be forgetting is that any and all dial up services will require one important thing which she does not want to have to get.

a phone line. you can't have 'dial up' internet access if there's no phone line in the house, unless you plan on using a mobile phone to connect, which is goign to be a lot more expensive than the cheaper broadband option, even if she's only using it a little bit.

I think O2 or Vodafone now do a 1c per 1kb GPRS option, but I think you have to purchase it in bulk and/or be on a high end business tariff. you'd have to check that out though.

If she can't afford broadband and doesn't want a phoneline then her options are severely limited.

If she has a wifi card in the laptop (€20 or so off ebay if she doesn't have one) she could wander down to either stepohens green shopping centre or the airport (only two I know of that are free) and avail of their free wifi services to connect to whatever she needs with the only cost being the initial cost of the wifi card if she doesn't already have one. assuming she has a laptop of course.
    [align=right]13.16.137.10[/align]

Sparky_S wrote:
    ripwave, broadband speeds out of the box, and dial up speeds when in use. :D
    all for 18.99

lmfao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

vibe666 wrote:
    and the one thing people seem to be forgetting is that any and all dial up services will require one important thing which she does not want to have to get.

a phone line. you can't have 'dial up' internet access if there's no phone line in the house, unless you plan on using a mobile phone to connect, which is goign to be a lot more expensive than the cheaper broadband option, even if she's only using it a little bit.[align=right]13.16.137.10[/align]

Urm..she's probably using VPN rather than dialling into a modem in the uni. It's not the 1980's anymore.

eth0_ wrote:
    Urm..she's probably using VPN rather than dialling into a modem in the uni. It's not the 1980's anymore.
    and from a mod, you should be ashamed of yourself.

it can really help things along if you read the original post.
    joolsveer wrote:
    There is no phone line in the house and she does not wish to pay for a phone line.
    without a phoneline in the house it doesn't matter if she's using a VPN or ESP, she's still not going to be able to use most of the broadband options being offered. :rolleyes:

vibe666 wrote:

without a phoneline in the house it doesn't matter if she's using a VPN or ESP, she's still not going to be able to use most of the broadband options being offered. :rolleyes:

dude you got plenty of help in the subsequent text to your original post!

investigate!

all roads led to WIRELESS !!

go figure

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    dude you got plenty of help in the subsequent text to your original post!

investigate!

all roads led to WIRELESS !!

go figure
    why are you telling me what I've already said like it's supposed to be news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

My friend has now signed up to have eircom install a phone line and is thinking of going for an Imagine package which costs about €10 per month for 20 hours usage. There is a router rental charge of €2.99 as well.
    Has anybody tried this? Is there a better value option?

DON'T GET IT.

Unless she KNOWS that she won't be using more than 20 hours. She will HAVE to turn off the modem EVERYTIME she is finished using the net, as even if she's not using her computer, if it's turned on it will still send the odd message out. Totally normal but will eat into your time.

Would also suggest not renting the router off them. It is throwing money down the drain. Would be better off buying a cheap second hand router somewhere. I'm sure you could pick one up cheap on the for sale forum here or buy and sell. Then it's hers.

ditto on the 'whatever you do don't go for imagine' sentiment.

they're a bunch of robbing so and so's, and in a market populated by the likes of €ircon and 'bend over' BT that's saying something.

if she's really only going to be using it for like 30 minutes twice a week then she's better off going for one of the free dialup options and making do with that and deciding after a few weeks of that's enough for her, or if she wants to get some form of broadband installed.

she really should have checked to see if she had other options before just signing up for an eircom line though. if she is in a Smart Telecom enabled area (I honestly wouldn't know Sallins from Sligo, sorry!) she might be able to get broadband with line rental included for only slightly more than eircoms line rental charge on it's own. the best option if she's going for a phone line anyway.

ditto on the 'whatever you do don't go for imagine' sentiment.

they're a bunch of robbing so and so's, and in a market populated by the likes of €ircon and 'bend over' BT that's saying something.

if she's really only going to be using it for like 30 minutes twice a week then she's better off going for one of the free dialup options and making do with that and deciding after a few weeks of that's enough for her, or if she wants to get some form of broadband installed.

she really should have checked to see if she had other options before just signing up for an eircom line though. if she is in a Smart Telecom enabled area (I honestly wouldn't know Sallins from Sligo, sorry!) she might be able to get broadband with line rental included for only slightly more than eircoms line rental charge on it's own. the best option if she's going for a phone line anyway.

where is Sallins BTW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

IrishTLR wrote:
    Would also suggest not renting the router off them. It is throwing money down the drain. Would be better off buying a cheap second hand router somewhere. I'm sure you could pick one up cheap on the for sale forum here or buy and sell. Then it's hers.

There's no choice about the modem if you're on the limited hours - the modem takes account of the time that you're connected, so you have to use it. Buying that modem might be one option but....

...don't do it. I'm in my 5th day of BT broadband, 1Gb option. I was paying €24 pm for rental & €10 pm for 30 hours UTV dialup. I'm now paying €30pm for broadband and €10pm for rental. Full time BB costs me €6 pm extra to what dialup was costing. And I've got my wireless modem working now with my laptop, so its all rosy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

vibe666 wrote:

Don't dare tell me I should feel 'ashamed'. If *you* had bothered to read SUBSEQUENT posts you'd see people had been suggesting wireless internet which is widely available in Kildare.

She can use wireless broadband, or get Smart Telecome if it's available. Or go to an internet cafe. I don't really care. But she has options.

ye know, i had this big smart reply taking the p1ss out of certain people for their attitudes and levels of muppetry and the general lack of attention paid to the initial request, but it's really not worth it if nobody is going to pay attention, and i really just can't be bothered arguing.

in any case it looks like the OP's friend has decided to take the plunge, so everythings changed now anyway.

Advertisement