Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

170Mbps through an electrical socket demoed

Options
  • 30-09-2005 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

This from Yahoo news
    Friday September 30, 02:01 PM

170Mbps through an electrical socket demoed
    By Colin Barker, ZDNet UK

Matsu****a showed off an exceptionally high-speed Internet through an ordinary electrical socket at a Japanese trade-fair

Matsu****a Electronics has claimed a breakthrough in powerline broadband by running an Internet connection through an ordinary electrical socket, using a new chip. At a tradeshow in Japan on Thursday the company demonstrated a network capable of running at 170Mbps over the electrical network.

Companies have been able to demonstrate data running on powerlines before, but only at speeds up to around 10Mbps and with strict limitations on the length of the cables.

The main problem is that the signal will dissipate through the cables over any distance more than about 150m.

Matsu****a, which trades as Panasonic, told the Associated Press that by using new products with the new chip embedded in them, users can access a broadband network simply by plugging into the electrical network.

The aim behind Matsu****a's strategy, as it demonstrated at the show, is to use the electrical network as an alternative route for an Internet connection, and also as a replacement for Wi-Fi. The company pointed out that while almost all houses have electrical power not all have broadband, or even an Internet connection, so by using this system anyone can access, download and watch high-definition movies and other content in any room in the house.

Matsu****a also hopes to sell refrigerators, TVs and other products with the chip already installed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And _ANY_ form of signally with harmonics above 20KHz (i.e. Power signalling should be limited to about 9600 Baud) should be illegal.

If my neighbour was to install such a system I'b be on phone, email and letter to Comreg about illegal transmitter.

Mains wiring is NOT a twisted pair (which reduces radiation of signal) nor sheilded.

Even the 10Mbps systems are totally irresponsible in RFI generated.

Don't even get me started about ESB outdoor "broadband" over mains schemes. Total insanity when good well engineered Wireless systems exist.

IMO even CAT5 should be screened for use above 100MBit and as much as possible I use screened CAT5 for any 100Mbit. Earth screen at one end only (switch / patch panel).

Just because something works doesn't mean it is sensible.

I think the limit to signalling on mains cable might even be 1Gbps using COFDM. But at a high cost to users to radio spectrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Would such a system actually cause interference when used indoors? I assume it's very low power.

Yes. Apart from havoc to your own gear.

Typical sensitivity on aerial socket for readible audio is only 0.5 micro Volts.

I've no idea what effect on newer Digital things like DTT, DAB, DRM and Worldspace.

Dunno why folks worry about phone masts (the more of them the safer the mobile beside your ear is, and mobile beside your ear at least 100 times power in brain compared with standing under a mast (inverse square law, 20 degree omni directional radion from aerial of mast etc).

Some Energy saver lamps can't be legal. Check if you can get Radio 4 in the house on Long Wave, if not change the bulb and take it back. Some intermittantly totally wipe out R4 LW over 100ft away through several walls. Real florescent tubes are even more energy efficent, 1/4 cost to replace tube and if proper design fitting less interference.

Good energy saver bulbs don't affect R4 LW at all.
    Some dimmer switches are absolutely more RF than a mobile mast in the garden!

Certinally ESB power line Broadband is _NOT_ the solution to Irelands Broadband woes.

Probabily handing out more Wirelss Licenses with _INSISTANCE_ that telephone services are available too, and a certian percent achieved as a condition of keeping licence.

Also forcing LLU and commercially viable access to exchanges for competiter's gear. Serius mistake not to sort out Broadband, flat rate internet and LLU _BEFORE_ the State sold off Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Oh I would totally agree with you about powerline broadband not being the solution to Ireland's broadband problems, or any other country for that matter, but I would have some reservations whether such a low power, extremely short range indoor system would cause any real interference.

Part of that is that we used to have a baby monitor that worked in the same way years ago, and I do not recall that causing any interference to shortwave or other radio reception.

I am almost tempted to go out and buy one of the indoor 14MB systems and test it out...

• Advertisement
Advertisement