Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos on a girl-yay or nay!

Options
  • 30-09-2005 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I am thinking of getting a tattoo (a small one that will be easy to hide, possibly a butterfly on my hip) and am wondering what you think of tattoos on a girl? Can they be pretty or do they make a girl look cheap/tacky/butch? We've all seen Pamela Anderson's vile tattoo of barbed wire around her arm...

Nala

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I love tattoos on a girl as long as they aren't above their arse crack (where every girl has one) AND they aren't a celtic symbol or whatever it is that half of Dublin have on their hip.

But a personal tattoo which means something to the girl is very sexy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

to be honest I think they are grand. i don't particularly like then when they are clichéd as they just look like they have no meaning etc etc... i think tats on tanned girls can look hot...

Shrimp wrote:
    to be honest I think they are grand. i don't particularly like then when they are clichéd as they just look like they have no meaning etc etc... i think tats on tanned girls can look hot...

Yeah, to me getting a clichéd tattoo is less independent/rebellious/whatever than having no tattoo at all.

Chinese symbols...
    Celtic things above the arse crack...
    666 behind the ear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

dublindude wrote:
    Yeah, to me getting a clichéd tattoo is less independent/rebellious/whatever than having no tattoo at all.

Chinese symbols...
    Celtic things above the arse crack...
    666 behind the ear...

haha. Yeah, tattoos are seriously generic these days. I can't stand them on girls, they're a real off-putter.

On the more serious end of things: I feel sorry for the rockers guys who cover themselves in tattoos; they've built up this identity for themselves for years and you can't just decide one day to leave that behind you, get married, have kids, be respectable. There's a lot of funked up people that wear tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

on topic:
    if your any good at art at all(or even if your not) spend a good while coming up with an interesting design or style for your butterfly, that way it will mean more to you and you will be less likley to see other folk with the same one.

off topic:
    another famous and inspirational person with a butterfly tatto is Henri Charriere, a safecracker from Montemarte in Paris who was wrongly convicted of murder and sent to a penal colony on an island off the coast of south america. He wrote "Pappillion" about his experiences in prison and his eventual escape and "Banco" about his time living in south america afterwards. both exellent books and well worth a read. in fact i think papillion which was his nickname means butterfly as he had a big tatto of a butterfly on his chest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

it'd be so funny if someone got a tattoo on their scalp saying "Secret Tattoo".. ha..

A girl I know actually has the British flag tattoo'd on her arse.

She's Australian.

Even she doesn't know what the **** she was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

nay, nay and nay. imo tatoos are a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'd say 'nay'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Should this be in tattoos/piercings?Oh well....Butterfly on the hip....sounds familiar...maybe its because whenever i mention tattoos to anyone in my school theres always the "Well id like a heart or a butterly on my hip" reply.Im not saying you shouldn't get it because its up to you but you should know its very common.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

as with everything it depends on the individual, they look good on some, bad on others.

the tats above the crack are a huge turn off though, so common gugh.

If you saw an extremely hot girl with a swastica tattoo on her wrist, would it turn you off her?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Don't get something for the sake of getting a tattoo, get something personal. It'll be there for the rest of your life, don't get a butterfly tattoo'd on there just so you can say you have a tattoo, if it doesn't mean anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I personally wouldn't have the guts to get one done as I'm too much of a wuss. I have nothing against tatoos (but dislike the over-tatooed look) but I don't really like it on girls. There's no real place to hide it. I abhor the random syombol on the base of the spine look. My younger sister has 3- a cross on the base of her spine, stupid chinese symbol on her hip and 3 small stars on her foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Moved from FAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Only if its unique. Quite fed up of excited teenagers coming out with the same ****ing tattoo EVERY girl has, on the EXACT same spot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

dublindude wrote:
    If you saw an extremely hot girl with a swastica tattoo on her wrist, would it turn you off her?

Not at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Butterfly on your hip :rolleyes: , aint the most original idea. It would seem like you where doing it just for the sake of it. The tatoo should mean something to you.
    My bro is a graphic designer, he has been designing me 1 for about 3 years now :), iv just given him all my ideas and what i would like it to represent and so far its looking really cool.
    Not actually sure if ill ever get the guts to do it :o , or if im willing to break my moms heart like that, haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Only if its unique. Quite fed up of excited teenagers coming out with the same ****ing tattoo EVERY girl has, on the EXACT same spot..

LOL, yup. Iv actually seen 2 chicks with the exact same bloody tatoo :eek: , SHOCKING. Put a butterfly on your hip and you have a huge chance that sum1 has the exact same pic :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes, and lots of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

Once their small and on sexy areas then yea,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Why bother getting a tattoo if you are going to hide it and why get a butterfly? They are so cliched - like dolphins and fairies.

If you love tattoos just get one done! Don't flirt with the idea or ask people who have no experience and come out with the usual crap about regretting it when you are older!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭_sara_

maybe you should a big butterfly on your leg!!! there's about 4 girls in my skool that have shown me a butterfly on their hip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

....My bro is a graphic designer, he has been designing me 1 for about 3 years now :), iv just given him all my ideas and what i would like it to represent and so far its looking really cool.....

:eek: - Scary image of Endurance Man's poor brother incarcerated in the cupboard under the stairs, sporadically being fed coco-pops through a funnel for the last three years.

- Butterfly tats should only be worn with tacky gold sovereign rings the size of a €2 coin on some Enger-land 56yr olds saggy, orange-crepe-paper cleavage.

- Do you like the look of scumbag lads with their knuckles inked?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nay, nay and trice nay.

They all look horrible, cheap and tacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Nala wrote:
    a small one that will be easy to hide, possibly a butterfly on my hip
    Small butterfly or heart would be hot :) But dont get a big gawdy looking one, theyre a turn off :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 squiiish

dSTAR wrote:
    Why bother getting a tattoo if you are going to hide it

Because when you have some thing like a tattoo or piercing complete strangers feel entitled to come up and give you their opinion on it or touch it.
    I have two large tattoos running from hips up to my ribs. I love them but I chose to have them in a place where unless I show some one, they don't know. There are just some days when you don't want to have to deal with Joe Bloggs and his opinions on your tattoos.
    This way I get to have the tattoos I want and not have to worry about whether it's going to affect me getting a job or whatever.
    Odd as it may seem some people get tattoos for THEMSELVES and not just in order to show off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

squiiish wrote:
    Because when you have some thing like a tattoo or piercing complete strangers feel entitled to come up and give you their opinion on it or touch it.
    I have two large tattoos running from hips up to my ribs. I love them but I chose to have them in a place where unless I show some one, they don't know. There are just some days when you don't want to have to deal with Joe Bloggs and his opinions on your tattoos.
    This way I get to have the tattoos I want and not have to worry about whether it's going to affect me getting a job or whatever.
    Odd as it may seem some people get tattoos for THEMSELVES and not just in order to show off.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dfitzer

I was under the impression that every Irish girl was held down and tattoed by their parents between the ages of 14 and 20. They are as common as Celtic Jerseys ie muck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

squiiish wrote:
    Reminds me of a tattoo quote;
    The only difference between someone with tattoos and someone without is that the person with tattoos doesn't care if you are tattooed or not.

Who cares what other people think?

I am not sure about you but I don't have people constantly coming up to me asking about my tattoos or wanting to touch them.

Ain't you lucky!!

If you are afraid that you won't get a job because you have a tattoo you need to start looking for another type of job. Jobs that judge you by appearance don't generally value you as a person or value your skills.

There are plenty of people who work in the corporate world who are COMPLETELY covered in tattoos and still manage to retain their jobs!

To those who think that tattoos are only for lowlifes and criminals you need to get with the times or look outside your own little world...

Advertisement