Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT broadband firewall

• 30-09-2005 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Recently subscribed to BT broad band, and delighted with the BB experience so far. Somewhat belatedly thought to check my security. I'm running windows XP SP1, and assumed ICF would be running automatically, as it is for my old modem connections.
    The network connection ("LAN or high speed internet") has the option frustratingly greyed out.
    Should I be able to enable this, and if so, how?

The h/w is zyxel prestige 600 via ethernet.

While I'm bolting doors with horses disappearing out of sight, any recommendations for other security yokes I should be using (I've always been a bit lax wrt anti-virus et al, making sure I could always walk away from my PC, but I guess I should be more diligent now).

TIA, apologies if this has been answered already but I can't find a search option on this forums page.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

there are some open source firewalls and antivirus, but ive forgotten the names, im sure our other boardies will be able to assist you.
    i think one of them is AVG firewall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Zone Alarm basic is free and is recommended by numerous publications.

As far as I know it is not recommended to run two software firewalls at the same time so that would be a substitute for Windows built in firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

If you run Windows Update and install Service Pack 2, you'll get a slightly better firewall for free. You could also try the free version of Zone Alarm which allows far more control if needed.

You should have some Anti Spyware software (As necessary as Antivirus these days) just in case. Have a search for ...

Spybot: Search & Destroy
    Lavasoft Adaware
    Microsoft Antispyware

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Thanks for the replies - I installed SP2 and the firewall is up and running.

Advertisement