Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 98 Favorites

• 09-09-2001 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Basically no matter how many times I delete it the "Links" folder kepts regenerating itelf.
    Does anyone know a way to disable it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

I have no idea....I just noticed it now myself. What's utterly stupid about it, is that it should be bleedingly obvious that yes all the stuff in the Favourites directory are LINKS.

What idiot at MS decided that one? Do they expect people to have ONE C:\Windows\Favourites\ subdirectory called Links and have all the Links in that?

It's right up there with "My Computer" in imbecile territory. Yes I know it's my goddamn computer.

Sorry I can't help though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Links is a system folder of sorts, used for the Links toolbar. I guess an option is to change the name of the folder in the registry to something you actually use. I can't remember the name of the key though, sorry.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

TweakUI is what you want, I think.. let you fiddle with loads of things.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui

Also mentioned on that page is Powertoys, another fiddley app you may find useful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nah, TweakUI will let you change the location of the Favourites directory, but not the Links one. Links is the same as "My Pictures" and all those other crappy things designed for newbies (and morons). Learn to live with it or whip out regedit and strut your funky stuff.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

/rant
    [aside]
    Windows 98 had detected you have moved your mouse, you will have to reboot for the new settings to take effect
    [/aside]
    /rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Have you tried right-clicking the IE toolbar and deselecting Links

Then going and deleting the Links folder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Only thing I could find on MS site (page was removed,this was in the description)
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer Data type Range Default value REG_DWORD 0 | 1 0 Description Removes the Display Favorites item from the Start Menu Settings box. As a result, users cannot add the Favorites menu to the Start menu. This

Also try right clicking on the bar just below the start button and select properties. Might be on the advanced tab?

you could also try the policy editor.

Last thing you could do is map your favorites directory to a directory called "NUL". This should trash the favorite as soon as it's written but I don't know what effect this would have on your system.

Ignore my last post, tried it and it didn't work

But this tip should sort it:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/help/tips/story/0,2802,e7107107,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think he's talking about the start bar favorites and not the IE favorites.

You're talking about the Favourites folder, he's talking about the Links folder within the Favourites folder

Hiding the Links folder as per the ZDNet tip means it will be hidden on the start menu as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement