Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First credit card (student credit card)

Options
  • 30-09-2005 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Got my first credit card today - the standard student one from Bank of Ireland. I just have a few questions as I was busy all day and wasn't able to call into / ring the bank. I hope they are easily answerable but I understand if some of them are specific to my account.

1. What happens if I try to buy something which costs more than my credit limit (which is €400)? Or if I buy several items with a combined cost that is greater than my limit? Will the card be rejected or ... ?

2. The limit is €400 per month, is that per calendar month or is it something specific to my account?

3. Let us assume I have bought something for €100 with the card. I have a 16.8% APR. If I was to not pay the balance when it was due, does the interest work like this (assuming I pay 1 month afetr the due date):

Balance: €100
    Annual Interest (if unpaid): €16.80
    Balance due 1 month after due by date: €100 + €1.40
    The €1.40 being 1 twelfth (i.e. one month) of the interest due per year.

Or have I made an erroneous assumption?

Many thanks.
    Bob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Bob wrote:
    1. What happens if I try to buy something which costs more than my credit limit (which is €400)? Or if I buy several items with a combined cost that is greater than my limit? Will the card be rejected or ... ?
    You wont be allowed buy the item.....just make sure you have enough cash in the CC before you buy something so if you want something for €1000 just put €500 into the CC account - sign up to online banking it makes paying your bills easy and fast and adding funds as well becomes easy.
    Bob wrote:
    2. The limit is €400 per month, is that per calendar month or is it something specific to my account?
    Calendar. But it doesn't matter just add more funds to the a/c
    Bob wrote:
    3. Let us assume I have bought something for €100 with the card. I have a 16.8% APR. If I was to not pay the balance when it was due, does the interest work like this (assuming I pay 1 month afetr the due date):
    Pay off the CC as soon as you buy something and pay no interest at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'd love a credit card but I'd go mad with it on the net so it's best I steer clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Nala wrote:
    I'd love a credit card but I'd go mad with it on the net so it's best I steer clear...
    Go for it I have not payed a penny for it and I've had it ages - it's brilliant! Simply restrict purchases to things you require and can pay for immediately and you will never go wrong :D

Advertisement