Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom delaying rollout of Schools BB?

Options
  • 30-09-2005 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

According to informed sources Eircom, who only got the contract to supply routers under the Schools BB scheme, have installed only 80 out of 3000 schools.

Is this a case of sour grapes holding up the benefit of BB for our kids?

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

More like not being able to organise a pi** up in a brewery than any malevolent intentions tbh :)

John

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is no commercial advantage in delaying, probabily the reverse. I'd say shortage of installers and possibly equipment. They seem to "run out" of even ISDN wall boxes regularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

jwt wrote:
    More like not being able to organise a pi** up in a brewery than any malevolent intentions tbh :)

John

Having worked in there, thats for sure the reason. We couldn't get a phone or ISDN installed into one of their own buildings. Telephone house. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

surely the contract they signed with the Department would have specified a timescale for the installs? It would be common sense to have a clause which says x% by Sept, x+y% by Dec and x+y+z% by Mar where the latter equates to 100% of the schools.

If such as clause is in place is it being enforced, if it is not why not? If there is no such clause why not?

The one thing which I'm still not clear on regarding the Schools BB program is whether the 3 years which the Government is paying for is from when the contract was awarded, or from when the schools have an actual working BB connection.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Its nice when your school is reliant on eircom for schools project.

As far as I'm aware my school just had Digiweb (Metro?) installed, but they only installed the connection, not intergrate it to previous networks.

Haven't got a chance to play around with it yet. Odds are it will be left to me to plugin to the network. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Mr_Man wrote:
    surely the contract they signed with the Department would have specified a timescale for the installs? It would be common sense to have a clause which says x% by Sept, x+y% by Dec and x+y+z% by Mar where the latter equates to 100% of the schools.

If such as clause is in place is it being enforced, if it is not why not? If there is no such clause why not?

The one thing which I'm still not clear on regarding the Schools BB program is whether the 3 years which the Government is paying for is from when the contract was awarded, or from when the schools have an actual working BB connection.

M.
    I remember having once flicked through a quite lengthy document on the DCMNR website, regarding the details of these procedures, but don't want to go searching for them now.
    The cynic in my says: The later the technical connections for schools are functional, the later it will become evident, that the content side of things (curricular integration of the Internet as a tool) is not in place. Having a physical Broadband connection for schools is only half of the job.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Throwing broadband at the schools without a supporting infrastructure in place does lessen the effectiveness of the technology. However not having the technology available is frustrating in the extreme for those techers who recognize its potential and are willing to put their own time and effort into integrating it within their teching.

I know a number of teachers in this position, and the bizzare behaviour of some of the Eircom staff who turned up to do an install and then left again without doing it, is really annoying. The reason Eircom gave for refusing to do the install was that the Head Teacher was not around, even though Eircom never told anyone that they required their presence, and the head teacher had arranged for the school to be opened and a member of staff present on the day Eircom scheduled the install. Complete BS.

M.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

One headteacher I know wants them to hand over the following or they wont sign for it

1. a working console cable , demoed, and hyperterminal set up on the Ht's laptop
    2. the enable password :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement