Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving drawing close, should i dump my girlfriend

Options
  • 01-10-2005 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

The leaving is drawing closer, and I need more and more time to study. My girlfriend and I really care for each other, but i think our end is nigh. When we're together, all i can think about is how I'm wasting study time, and what I'll study when i go home. She's always texting me on Friday and Saturday nights about "spending time" together, and she gets annoyed when i don't text her back because i'm deep in study. Does she not realise the importance of the leaving cert?

How should I break it off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Er, its not even October yet. You need to get your priorities straight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The "importance of the Leaving Cert" should not be your life, but part of it. Since you can't seem to fit this girl into your hectic study sceduele, I'd imagine you are breaking up with her for other reasons besides the Leaving Cert.

But really, dumping a girl because of an exam that's eight months away... pathetic...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Firstly, have you tried talking to her about it? Is she in 6th year too? I know when I was in 5th year I went out with someone who was doing his LC in another school and I did get annoyed when we didn't spend time together, purely cause he'd say we couldn't meet cause he needed to study only for him to tell me later he couldn't got motivated and hadn't actually done anything. If he had been studying those times I would have understood and been happy to spend less time together during term, so talk to her first as she might just not get how important it is to you.

Secondly it sounds like maybe you're not that happy with her anyway? If you're doing a reasonable amount of study yet you're still thinking of other stuff everytime you're with her thats not really fair on either of you.

Also the Leaving is stressful, you do need breaks, you don't want to wear yourself out too early in the year so you should go out some nights and enjoy yourself, whether it be with her or friends or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If your really doing it for the right reasons fair enough.
    Are you sure you're just not using the exam as an excuse to break up?

I broke up with my girlfriend so that she would study for her leaving. She got her exams alright. I did it for the best. Boy was she píssed at me!

It worked out in the end, we got back together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

The leaving is drawing closer, and I need more and more time to study. My girlfriend and I really care for each other, but i think our end is nigh. When we're together, all i can think about is how I'm wasting study time, and what I'll study when i go home. She's always texting me on Friday and Saturday nights about "spending time" together, and she gets annoyed when i don't text her back because i'm deep in study. Does she not realise the importance of the leaving cert?

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. :eek:

* It's October 1st as of today, over 8 months to go
    * There is alot more to life than the leaving cert
    * If you really cared for your girlfriend why are you even contemplating dumping her over an exam?
    * The best medicine for suceeding in your exams is to have fun and be relaxed throughout 6th year not being locked up in a room on a Saturday night studying.

She is better off without you not the other way round since you've got all of your priorities completely upside down. I don't want to sound mean but dumping your girlfriend over a exam which is 8 months away is very sad and pathetic. The only thing I can think of why you have come to this drastic conclusion is that your not happy in your relationship not the LC. Unless you can get your priorities straight, the relationship is better off dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

that would just be so stupid to dump a girl over study, its actually ANTI-SOCIAL , im in 6th year and during the week i do all homework study etc but from 4 o clock on friday until sunday evening i dont study, i go out and relax and have fun:P the leaving cert isnt the end of the world .... chillout a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

You really are insane! Breaking up with your girlfriend because of the leaving cert is obviously not a good reason! Its not as if you will be studying 24/7..If she's doing the leaving this year then you'll both be in the same boat and she will understand..You should try and see her at least once or twice a week even if its just for a few hours...Do you not take breaks from studying? Speaking as a girl I know for a fact that the Leaving Cert wont be a good enough reason for your girlfriend...Be a man and tell her the real reasons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Have to agree with the other posters with this one.

It really is too early to be dumping your girlfriend over the leaving cert. Not to be a a smartass or anything but if you really cared for her you probably wouldnt be considering this, but I suppose it all comes down to a personal choice at the end of the day.

Simple if you are not willing to make time for her and prioritise studying over her at all times, then finish it as it really isnt fair on the girl.

My 0.02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

She is in my year in school, and I do like her. It's just that the leaving is number 1 in my life right now, and i really don't have time for a gf. In school it is fine, we sit together in any class we have together and also in supervised study after school, she is a good student and we help each other out. That is when our relationship is at its best.

But after school/study she becomes a different person. She doesn't want to do extra study or even talk about studying. She wants to talk about shopping/sports/friends and other nonimportant stuff, she also wants to do things I don't have time for, like go to the cinema/drink with friends and spend "private time" with each other. Last year and during the summer I enjoyed doing that stuff, but now we have a VERY important exam ahead of us, and I really don't need that stuff cluttering my brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 asia3lodz

You must be joking! If you`re too busy for a girlfriend now when it`s just LC what will you do when you`re at collage (you are planing to go to collage i supose). If you wont find time for your friends, one day you`ll wake up as an old lonely man. I`m sorry for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I reckon dump her - for her sake. She is free to get a decen boyfriend then. You need people close to you in times of stress....you don't get rid of them. You really are a strange little person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

asia3lodz wrote:
    You must be joking! If you`re too busy for a girlfriend now when it`s just LC what will you do when you`re at collage (you are planing to go to collage i supose). If you wont find time for your friends, one day you`ll wake up as an old lonely man. I`m sorry for you
    Hahahahaha.....college?

God you really have no idea what college is like.

Dump her if you want, its up to you, obviously if you'r aiming for something like 600 points then you have to dedicate the year to it and it has to be your no.1 priority over everything, but sheesh, you'll need to relax or your mind will explode.

I got 530 in 2003 and if I wasn't able to unwind on friday or saturday nights my mind would have melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I disagree with Sangre, I got 590 in LC 2004, and for during 5th year and 6th year i was with the same guy, saw him any friday and saturday i could except when he was busy. Do you genuinely think for 8 months you're not going to spend time with friends, talk about things that aren't school/study....... genuinely you need breaks or you'll end up not working as efficiently as you can by the end of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kenshi

Dump her. You don't deserve her the way you spoke in your second post. You'er a loser! You talk about non-important stuff. There is nothing important NOTHING!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

But after school/study she becomes a different person. She doesn't want to do extra study or even talk about studying.

People don't especially like talking about school or studying. It's boring. It hardly racks the emotions.

And if she doesn't want to do "extra study", then that's her problem, not yours. Deal with it.
    she also wants to do things I don't have time for, like go to the cinema/drink with friends and spend "private time" with each other.

You're in a relationship. Do you honestly think that that ends after the school bell rings? What do you think people do in relationships?!

What about a social life? Do you spend all your free time studying?

Really, you need to relax about the Leaving Cert, it's not something that you need to completely give up nine or so months of your life for. Making something the number one priority in your life is very counter intuitive, as you will soon burnout by the imbalance. You need to manage both recreation and education into your life.

You might aswell break up with her due to your nonchalance, but I'd say she will completely lose respect for you dumping her due to an exam. It's such a petty excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Your a complete loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

imo i think she's better off without you if you're talking like this! the leaving cert isn't the only important thing in your life! tbh its only a test at the end of the day...dont get so stressed out about it! You're letting it rule your life...letting it rule you...STOP RIGHT THERE!!! it's stupid and more important it's unhealthy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 funkymonkey2006

Dude, you shouldnt break it off...

Ya should ****ing kill yourself you ****ing dry****e.

No seriously, wise up and be glad you have a girlfriend.

You sound like the type who'll be ordering discount amputee russian brides in the not so distant future if you dont pull up your socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

You should break it off straight away, you need precious study time. Especially since the Leaving Cert is practically next week. You say you care for this girl yet you so candidly use the word 'dump'! Brilliant tbh! I say dump her and let her get someone better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Oh god, this thread is classic. If you would seriously dump your girlfriend 8 months before the leaving cert. because you want to study on weekend nights you should cut out the middle man and hang yourself right now.

Otherwise in 25 years time somebody is going to find you hanging from the roof above your cubicle because you'll have lead the most depressingly boring life ever.

It sounds like the only reason youre even with your "girl friend" isbecause she helps you at school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Unless you have got other issues with this girl, don't dump her just because of the leaving!!!

You do need a life outside study you know and spending time with your girlfriend would be a good way to unwind. The exam isn't your life man, just make sure you get in an adequate amount of study and when your happy with that go out and relax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

My GOD man! What the HELL are you ON!? When I was in 6th yr, I had 4 different girlfriends over the course of the year (okay, i'm not great at long-term...), and still got 550. If all you're lookin' for (which, by the sounds of it, it is) is a study-buddy, then fine, let the poor thing go and find someone who truly cares about her! If you want a relationship, then damnit be happy with it! She sounds wonderful, tbh! But be honest as to why you're breaking up with her - cuz you don't want HER. I'm sure if it were Natalie Portman, or somesuch famous, beautiful AND intelligent (NP has a Psych degree from Harvard), you wouldn't be having such a crisis, would you? Get over yourself, and learn to use the weekend to unwind with someone you apparently care about! Afterschool study time is for studying, after that, if needs must, but weekends should belong to relaxation! It's the only way to do well - else you'll burn out by the mocks, and then where'd ya be?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Kenshi and Cheesedude banned for a week.Less of the personal attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Allowing that the original post 'may' not be a troll....

If you are having issues with your girlfriend, be a man about it and tell her it's not working for you/break it off...Do not use the impending Leaving Cert. as an excuse.

The Leaving Cert. is like a token you have to get to enter the bigger game out there, and part of the bigger game is points and college and 'good' jobs, but the biggest part of the game adults play is family and relationships, and to be fair, judging by your posts, you need to look at your attitude to the latter.

There are lots of very lonely people out there who never quite 'got' how to play the relationship game - try not to become one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Lol, funny thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

im currently a new 1st year in college!! back to share my wisdom!! i met my bf the summer b4 6th year and we're still together now so it is very possible to keep a bf/gf!! theres like a million different ways into college so dont give up your life all together!! ive seen ppl do that and get nowhere....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

errr....tbh I sort of know what you mean. I'm repeating this year...and am intent on study...study...study after what happened last year. But at the end of teh day mate you're not going to be studying at 10 O' clock on friday or saturday nights. Make time for you and her then...you'll be grateful for the relaxation time and it'll give you something to look forward to during your hours of hard slog.

Keep up the hard work...but make time for YOU aswell...whether that time involves her or not is up to you but don't wear yourself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Op - obviously has a very focused mindset but its too focused. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. I can't believe you want to break it up with your girlfriend because the leaving cert is drawing closer.

I think u should tell her how u feel. But her reply will be something similiar to the replies you've been recieving so far in this thread. The amount of negative replies should indicate to u, how wrong u are about "dumping her".

You've asked 'should i break it up?' but u have only argued for it. For yourself i think u should think of all the positives of being with her, then all the negatives. See which outweighs the other.

Do u mind me asking how long have u been going out with this girl?

Advertisement