Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Broadband Wireless Setup?

• 01-10-2005 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I'm with Utv now and i'm sick of them for a number of reasons so i'm leaving. I have 2 options, NTL or Metro,At the moment i have a Netgear Wireless Adsl Modem Router which supplies a wireless internet connection to my Mac Mini and Laptop and is connected directly to my desktop pc.How would i continue to keep this setup? How would the Ntl Modem or Metro Modem integrate with my system? Is it just a simple procedure like connecting them to my Router???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

mickger wrote:
    I'm with Utv now and i'm sick of them for a number of reasons so i'm leaving. I have 2 options, NTL or Metro,At the moment i have a Netgear Wireless Adsl Modem Router which supplies a wireless internet connection to my Mac Mini and Laptop and is connected directly to my desktop pc.How would i continue to keep this setup? How would the Ntl Modem or Metro Modem integrate with my system? Is it just a simple procedure like connecting them to my Router???

Is the router cable/ADSL? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Is the router cable/ADSL? :confused:

Its just Adsl so i would need a Cable/Adsl modem/router.It doesn't matter now anyway because my area is not upgraded yet to receive NTL Broadband.I ended up going with Metro instead but i'm still wondering how the Metro modem will fit in with my Wireless network :confused: Anyone able to enlighten me on how it would work?????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mickger wrote:
    I ended up going with Metro instead but i'm still wondering how the Metro modem will fit in with my Wireless network :confused: Anyone able to enlighten me on how it would work?????

You'll need to get a new wireless router, the ethernet from the metro modem will connect to the WAN port of the wireless router, which will share your internet connection with all your computers.

What router?
    Any from the following page:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Category.asp?catid=2&l=1&cnL1=NTL/Telewest&PcatIDL1=2

Note these routers are advertised as suitable for NTL cable, but they are also suitable for Metro as long as they have a WAN port.

Advertisement