Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Chelsea Round Two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

the league is a marathon not a sprint. its still too early to be looking at the table in any great detail.

i've been a fair bit dissapointed with the results so far, but i'm happy in the knowledge that there has been improvements. a realistic expectation would be for liverpool to win the league in maybe 2 years at least.

the squad has a good spine to it, but theres far too much dead weight being carried by the better players.

if it makes anyone feel better i think liverpool will be the team closest to chelsea in the next few years and i think their in a better position as a club than arsenal and united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

el rabitos wrote:
    the league is a marathon not a sprint.

Using that analogy, Chelsea are about a kilometre ahead. Liverpool are struggling to find a gap in the crowd and seriously run the risk of not getting a good sprint in until its too late. The (four-tiered :p ) podium is even looking like a difficulty.

Using that analogy, Chelsea are about a kilometre ahead. Liverpool are struggling to find a gap in the crowd and seriously run the risk of not getting a good sprint in until its too late. The (four-tiered ) podium is even looking like a difficulty

Using that analogy, the rest of the field left 2 minutes ahead of liverpool because pool have 2 games in hand which if won will put us into 7th in clear site of ur 4 tiered podium

el rabitos wrote:
    Using that analogy, the rest of the field left 2 minutes ahead of liverpool because pool have 2 games in hand which if won will put us into 7th in clear site of ur 4 tiered podium

good point, i usually use a full stop too when i've been zinged

as for "IF" we'll just have to wait and see wont we.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

el rabitos wrote:

I've never understood the sense of this "games in hand = points on the board" mentality.

thats because its more like "other teams have played more games than us = more points on the board for them"

The "other teams" in question being Chelsea, United etc... and having 14 and 7 points (in one game more) more than Liverpool respectively.

The full-stop wasn't my point by the way, highlighting the word "if" was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Im pleased enough with the results gotten by Liverpool so far. Four of their six games have been against some of the toughest opposition they will face this year: United and Chelsea, as well as both Boro and Spurs away from home. As has been said, it is nothing short of idiotic to be looking at the table in too much detail when a team has only played six games.

Liverpool don't face another "big" side until the New Year. Probably their toughest away tie until the New Year is Everton at Christmas, after that probably Man City. A lot of Liverpool's upcoming games are against opposition of an inferior standard on paper than that already faced. Address this situation in ten more games, I'm fully confident that the results will come.

Having said that, performances at times from some players have been very poor. And on the goal scoring front there is no doubting that gross improvment is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Need help. Just got home from the game to see that the poxy ntl digital froze on saturday nite , so i have 4 hours of a still picture recorded. Did anyone record it? I'd reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally appreciate a copy. cheers.

PS Theres a programme in it for you.

• Advertisement

No doubt they'll recover, but 4th place won't be a gimme. Plus, don't Liverpool usually suffer after mid-week CL games (Sunday: Case in point??)? That'll have to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

God GET OVER IT!!!

Liverpool have played 8 games in total 3 of them was against Chelsea twice and Man U and have lost one!! The team have to adapt to having
    a new goalkeeper (who prob still only has very little english)
    a new and young left back (in Warnok)
    new players in mid-field like Sissoko and Zenden
    and a new striker Crouch.

Also they have to adapt to a new system which Rafa is trying all this takes time for players to settle and know their roles. One loss from 8 is good, ok there may be to many draws, but in time players will know their roles and get results. Look at Essien he hasn't come any where near his best yet for Chelsea! Arsenal with there new players also are taking time to settle in!

Rafa is a good manager and knows his stuff i have every bit of confidence that in January he will sign a good Central defender and Right Winger which will give Liverpool a line up like this:

Renia

--Finnan-Carrager--??????---Warnok

--??????--Gerrard--Sissoko--Risse-

Cisse

Crouch

If both ????? turns out to be good player thats a very good line up

Although i think Cisse and Rafa have had a bust up he wont play him to often, i hope it will be sorted out soon as i think Rafa signed Crouch knowing the partnership of Crouch and Cisse would be a good one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A significant result for Chelsea in terms of their title aspirations, not that I had any doubt before this match. A disasterous result for Liverpool in terms of their aspirations to claim 4th place. Liverpool played 4-2-3-1 again, this time with Garcia on the right and Riise on the left supporting Crouch. As in the recent CL game though, linkage play between the front 4 players just didn’t work out, and although Liverpool created more attempts at goal (11-8) in the game than Chelsea, they failed to create clear openings that could be capitalised upon.

0-1
    The first goal for Chelsea was unfortunate for Traore. His clearance hit Drogba at close range and the ball kindly dropped to Drogba who with more momentum gained control and drew a tackle from Traore. Drogba “played” for the penalty and it was duely awarded. There was not much quibble about it.

1-1
    Liverpool’s equaliser from Gerrard came out of little, a corner knocked on or not met properly by Carragher, who competes well in the box, the loose ball was raced onto by Gerrard who’s powerful angled drive from the right rifled along the deck into the bottom left hand corner, a rare goal against Chelsea’s defence although any defence can be unpicked by a deadball situation, such are the dynamics akin to pin-ball.

1-2
    Chelsea’s second goal was due to the lack of defending capability by Hyypia who got skinned by Drogba. Hyypia’s lack of pace, surprise surprise, let him down. Drogba passed off to Duff who had not been picked up in the box, Alonso perhaps could have done better there, and perhaps Reina should have been out smarter to smother the shot.

Liverpool started the 2nd half brighter, and knew they had to chase the game if they were going to get anything out of it. A fairly brave approach given Chelsea’s capability on the break. Liverpool created a few chances (I was listening to Radio 5).

1-3
    Liverpool were playing the ball out from defence and the ball was won in Chelsea’s half by Del Horno. He threaded through a perfect ball to Drogba who ghosted between Carragher and Finnan. Most unusual that both players were caught semi flat-footed and short on pace to chase him down, whereby he faced Reina, he easily passed the ball across to Cole for an easy tap-in. Perhaps this goal was indicative of the game in general where Liverpool seemed to have much less energy than Chelsea, contrasting to the energy levels in the CL match.

Then, a glimmer of hope for Liverpool. First Riise skimmed the roof of the net, and then a long-ball in and Crouch, yes Crouch, managed to juggle the ball over and past Carvalho, only to sky his shot from 12 yards over the bar. Liverpool changed their formation then, to a back 3 it looked like, although difficult to tell from MOTD2 patchy coverage, and were taking more risk as a result.

1-4
    Chelsea’s 4th goal came out of nothing, a long throw from the left hand side on the half-way line, somehow went past Finnan and found Drogba some yards ahead of him, Finnan was badly caught out and although Carra tried to cover back, Drogba put in a cross, it was scuffed by Cole with Riise trying to cover in behind him, and the ball carried on to the far post to Geremi who had a simple tap-in due to Liverpool’s lack of (ie: 3) defenders.

Lessons
    Liverpool’s energy levels, eg: Finnan were poor. Tos game coming on the back of the CL game, where Liverpool matched Chelsea physically, was case of being over-powered. Drogba was giving all in the defense a hard time. Hyypia, a player with a known weakness in terms of pace, was in this match caught out. Something waiting to happen as we all know. The penalty was just an unfortunate chain of events. Liverpool’s formation is not working, and didn’t create enough up front. Chelsea’s 4-3-3 did a lot better. Perhaps, a 4-4-2 from Liverpool would have been better.

The 1-4 scoreline was perhaps flattering to Chelsea (the penalty came out of nothing, the 4th goal was due to Liverpool’s risky formation), but overall, Chelsea deserved to win this game. A 1-2 or a 0-2 scoreline might have been a more reflective measure of the game. Goals can change games of course, demoralising one team and pumping up another, and this seemed to be the case with the first penalty goal and perhaps even more so with the Chelsea 2nd goal. What was a bit frightening for Liverpool fans is that this match was at Anfield. If it was at the Bridge, you could say ok, but at Anfield, such a loss and with so many goals is rare and indeed unheard of in recent times. Indeed, Gerrard was particularly downbeat after the match. There is a gap now for the players to recover, although many will be on international duty and wont get much, such as Gerrard.

redspider

Its ironic to hear Alonso's comments today that Liverpool need new players and also advising people not to look at the table!

For one thing, Liverpool have just been through a transfer period and signed players and sold/gave away players, so Liverpool have had their chance to strengthen the team, as much as Man U and Arsenal have had (note: Chelsea are on a different level as Abramovich and his henchmen are running the club at a collosal financial loss!).

Liverpool have dropped points in several games long before this game against Chelsea, pts below target of what a team aiming for 4th should be getting. It is painful to look at the table, and for a team like Liverpool, being in such a positon may not have the correct type of emotional effect. Many of the Spanish players do not seem up for the struggle as shown last season, and this season will be no different. The signings have been weak, such as Zenden, and obvious to the blind-man as the saying goes before the player was signed.

Here are a couple of ways of looking at the table, and none are very appetizing from a Liverpool point of view.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Hi Redspider. Just curious as to why you are presenting the league tables in this way? Personally I don't get any real meaning from them as 'points dropped' is completely relative to whom you've dropped points against.

Also Alonso has a point re their current position. You cannot read anything from the league table until you're about half way thru the season ie when everyone has played each other once (more or less).

TBH if you wanted a fairly accurate barometer of where teams are going this season you would overlap this seasons results over last seasons to see the pts change. I think in that case Liverpool would actually be up by a couple of points and likely candidates for 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigman II wrote:
    TBH if you wanted a fairly accurate barometer of where teams are going this season you would overlap this seasons results over last seasons to see the pts change. I think in that case Liverpool would actually be up by a couple of points and likely candidates for 4th.

I know what you're getting at but would that not mean Spurs or Charlton would be more likely contenders for 4th spot? If I was a Liverpool supporter I'd be more concerned with Spurs taking it.

B.

what makes you think liverpool will be aiming for 4th place??

i think 2nd is a realistic position for liverpool to be aiming at, we've picked up points where we lost them last year already. as it is liverpool have improved on last seasons results.

el rabitos wrote:
    i think 2nd is a realistic position for liverpool to be aiming at

Ha ha!! :D

Second where? The Carling Cup?

B.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

el rabitos wrote:
    what makes you think liverpool will be aiming for 4th place??

i think 2nd is a realistic position for liverpool to be aiming at, we've picked up points where we lost them last year already. as it is liverpool have improved on last seasons results.

OMG!! Seriously wake up. Liverpool are a very average side who did unbelievably well in Europe but there true level is shown in the league. they will be no where near second and I would put Spurs ahead of liverpool at the moment. they have the better players and are playing the better football.

Fair play for winning the Champions league but I think it has tricked Liverpool fans into thinking they are something they are not.

• Advertisement

Exactly. They couldn't make 4th spot last year and now they're aiming for 2nd? Ha ha!! How many points were they off the top last year?

B.

i dont recall saying liverpool WERE going to finish 2nd so i dont know why everyones knickers are in a twist.

ANY club with the resourses of liverpool, arsenal, man utd and even newcastle should be aiming for a top 2 or 3 position every season. if they werent then none of those teams would have the fan bases that they have.
    they will be no where near second and I would put Spurs ahead of liverpool at the moment. they have the better players and are playing the better football.

now i dont know what ur smoking because spurs have done nothing, ever. spurs have a good young side with potential, but if you can point out 1 team in history that won ANYTHING with potential, feel free to let me know.

arsenal and man utd are not really in any great shape to be beating chelsea, so liverpool beating both teams to 2nd spot wouldnt shock me tbh

Pigman II wrote:
    Hi Redspider. Just curious as to why you are presenting the league tables in this way? Personally I don't get any real meaning from them as 'points dropped' is completely relative to whom you've dropped points against.
    Also Alonso has a point re their current position. You cannot read anything from the league table until you're about half way thru the season ie when everyone has played each other once (more or less).

The first ladder is just another way of looking at the league and more easily depicts for humans the gap in pts. As can be seen, Chelsea are way ahead.

The 2nd ladder shows pts dropped, as that value takes into account the number of games played. Just another way of looking at the same data. A more reflective table might be average pts dropped per game played.

I agree to some extent that the table at any one point in time is but a snapshot, and does not necessarily reflect the difficult games teams have played. But as someone else pointed out, Chelsea have played probably the most difficult games of all so far of any team yet are at 100%. Hmmm. Only one table counts, and thats the final table, but try telling that to Everton fans.

Last seasons results shouldnt be compared with this, and they shouldnt be used as a barometer. Just because Liverpool played ****e last year against Birmingham and lost, getting a draw against them is NOT a sign of progress. Last season it was 3 pts dropped against target, and this year its 2 pts dropped against target.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone else see this? It might explain a few things.

Mike.

Pigman II wrote:

Jesus, and I thought I was an optimist......

el rabitos wrote:
    thats because its more like "other teams have played more games than us = more points on the board for them"

That's because they ACTUALLY HAVE THE POINTS!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

el rabitos wrote:
    now i dont know what ur smoking because spurs have done nothing, ever. spurs have a good young side with potential, but if you can point out 1 team in history that won ANYTHING with potential, feel free to let me know.

LOL. I am purely basing my opinion on this seasons league form and this seasons alone. Liverpool ahve been very average in most games where, although inconsistent at times, Spurs have been quite good playing good attacking football and their current league position reflects this. Anyway that is going off the point.

All I want to say is that because Liverpools success in Europe last season everyone thinks they are a really good side and will be challenging for the league or the top spots when in reality that is not the case. Liverpools fans have got to get their heads of the clouds after that success and realise the team has a long long way to go yet before you can talk about the things your currently talking about

That's because they ACTUALLY HAVE THE POINTS!!

what age are u?? can u read a league table ffs. liverpool havent had the opportunity to get as many or more points than the other teams! i'm not saying liverpool WILL get the points, they might not! but they havent even had the chance to yet.
    LOL. I am purely basing my opinion on this seasons league form and this seasons alone. Liverpool ahve been very average in most games where, although inconsistent at times, Spurs have been quite good playing good attacking football and their current league position reflects this. Anyway that is going off the point.

every season it seems people get the notion in their heads that THIS is the season spurs will challenge for top postions. i'm not holding my breath tbh. i quite like spurs aswell, but appart from maybe 3 or 4 players the rest are all just potentially good. davids is past it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

el rabitos wrote:
    . liverpool havent had the opportunity to get as many or more points than the other teams! .

except for one game in hand they have had the opportunity , they just didn't win their games, thats why they don't have the points.

and Spurs have won things in the past, in the 50s and 60s mostly, but not never !!

Mike 65: had to laugh at the hyppia interview , I'm not making excuses BUT this is my excuse lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Kingp35 wrote:
    OMG!! Seriously wake up. Liverpool are a very average side...
    Whereas Man Utd and Arsenal are amazingly superb teams in the form of their lives, right?

and Spurs have won things in the past, in the 50s and 60s mostly, but not never !!

Jaysus dude, i'd rip appart ur arguement but i can see ur clutching at straws as it is

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    what age are u?? can u read a league table ffs. liverpool havent had the opportunity to get as many or more points than the other teams! i'm not saying liverpool WILL get the points, they might not! but they havent even had the chance to yet.

Liverpool have had the "chance" to get 18 points, they have 7.
    In your previous post you seemed to imply that wasn't so bad because they have 2 games in hand (on Chelsea). If they can only win 1 game from 6, what makes you consider the 2 games in hand as bankers? At the very least you seem very optimistic about these games in hand.

If you count Premiership and Champions League group games (I'm sure you'll forgive me for discounting the CL qualifiers as a formality) Liverpool have played 9 games and won 2. That is abysmal by anyone's standards, never mind a team that wants to be considered title contenders.

PiE wrote:
    Whereas Man Utd and Arsenal are amazingly superb teams in the form of their lives, right?
    And how many points behind Arsenal and Utd. did Liverpool finish last year?

25 behind Arsenal and 17 behind Utd. in case you were wondering. And yet they were and still are considering teams in decline at the moment.
    Oh, and they finished 37 points behind the champions!
    el rabitos wrote:
    arsenal and man utd are not really in any great shape to be beating chelsea, so liverpool beating both teams to 2nd spot wouldnt shock me tbh
    Well tbh, it would shock most of the footballing world.

el rabitos wrote:
    And what exactly have Everton won recently? Yet somehow they managed to finish ahead of Liverpool last year.

growler wrote:
    Mike 65: had to laugh at the hyppia interview , I'm not making excuses BUT this is my excuse lol
    LOL. Was thinking the same thing!!

B.

Wahey!!!! My 2000th Post!!! :cool: (And look at the time I posted....Spooky!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Kingp35 wrote:
    All I want to say is that because Liverpools success in Europe last season everyone thinks they are a really good side and will be challenging for the league or the top spots when in reality that is not the case. Liverpools fans have got to get their heads of the clouds after that success and realise the team has a long long way to go yet before you can talk about the things your currently talking about

Can you please find me a post where a liverpool fan has said we have a good chance of winning the EPL.

horseflesh wrote:
    Liverpool have played 9 games and won 2. That is abysmal by anyone's standards, never mind a team that wants to be considered title contenders.

Oh dear god. Did you factor into account the oppisition?

el rabitos wrote:
    Jaysus dude, i'd rip appart ur arguement but i can see ur clutching at straws as it is

ok i admit to a semi-troll like spurs-baiting off the cuff comment,, I couldn't help it I'm a chelsea fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

BaZmO* wrote:
    25 behind Arsenal and 17 behind Utd. in case you were wondering. And yet they were and still are considering teams in decline at the moment.
    You say declining, I say Liverpool are improving... as the stats prove. I don't know the stats of Arsenal and Man U's start to last season but I'd wager they started better or equal to this season's corresponding fixtures. So Liverpool may have gone some way towards closing that gap.
    Well tbh, it would shock most of the footballing world.
    Yea the whole world would sit down in amazement if the European Champions fluked their way to 2nd place in their domestic league.

Oh dear god. Did you factor into account the oppisition?

dropped points against boro and bimingham aswell as liverrpools traditional 3 points at white hart lane not a great start for a season that pool fans have / had great expectations for I'd say

dropped points against boro and bimingham aswell as liverrpools traditional 3 points at white hart lane not a great start for a season that pool fans have / had great expectations for I'd say

and there was me under the illusion that 99% of liverpool fans were expecting us to finish comfortably in 4th and competing for 3rd and 2nd. thats what i was/am expecting from this season.

i wouldnt rule out liverpool retaining the cl either tbh. wouldnt shock me to see them get to the final at least

growler wrote:

My point precisely.
    Played 6, Won 1.............can you (el rabitos, et al) honestly say you're happy with that?

i can say i'm happy enough for what we're aiming for this season.

its 6 of our dodgy teams down and points picked up where they were lost last year. its improvement, and thats what i expected.

• Advertisement

growler wrote:

on the results of last season we have gained 3 points from all of those fixtures.

Thats what most fans wanted, an improvement on the results we got last season. And so far we have done that.

Ok PIE and Chucky the tree seem to want to assume im saying things that im not so this post is just for those two to clear up a couple of thimgs
    PiE wrote:

Please point where I said this? I said Liverpool are an average side which they are. Why are you not including the likes of Spurs wh could finish ahead of Liverpool? If they win both their games in hand Liverpool would still only be in 7th position. I already said on current form this season I would put Spurs ahead of Liverpool at the moment.
    Can you please find me a post where a liverpool fan has said we have a good chance of winning the EPL

Where did I say that any Liverpool fan said this? el Rabitos thinks they should be aiming for 2nd. Im telling him to wake up and realise Liverpool are simply not good enough to challenge for 2nd. If they come 4th it will be a successfull season but they certainly wont find it easy to do that. All Liverpool fans suddenly think they are a good side.Your not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

growler wrote:
    Boro is not an easy place to go, sure they only finished six points of 4th spot themselves last season. Given Liverpools record at the Riverside in recent year I didnt see it as points dropped, more a point gained.

And as for Liverpools "traditional three points at WHL", how about you do some research and then come back to me and tell me how many times Liverpool have taken three points at WHL in the last ten years, and then also how many times have they left with nothing. Definitely a point gained.

If Liverpool dont get beaten away from home against teams that will probably be in the shake down for 4th, and beat them at home, they will be home and dry for the CL place. They will also close the gap to 3rd in comparison to last year. These are games that Liverpool lost last year. So their results so far have been more than satisfactory.

Im not unrealistic enough to think that Liverpool could get 2nd place, but I see no harm in them aiming for say 3rd. Now before people go on a rant, I never said they would get there, but its not that unrealistic as a target. If they get 4th Id be more than happy, once they weren't streets off 3rd place.

To say Liverpool have had a bad start is wrong. To look at it in terms of points on the board does not tell the full story. They've played against some top opposition in league terms, and in Europe, and only been beaten once. Liverpools problem last year was that they lost too many games, this year they are demonstrating a change in that.

Can I suggest fans of certain teams refrain from being to cocksure, think of EVERTON! :)

Liverpools season has thus far being mediocre rather than bad, no points have been dropped where it was'nt likely except in the Brum game which should have been a win. If matters don't improve over the next 6-8 games (two points per game average the absolute minimum required) we will have a crisis.

I honestly think all thats needed is to drop this damned one up front formation. Until we can get a fresh CB and a right winger this would be my prefered Prem line-up and formation.

Reina

Finnan
    Carra----Warnock

Ham/Siss
    Alonso

Flo
    Gerrard
    Kewell

Crouch----Mori/Cisse

It would require the wingers to back track and learn to tackle but would provide good attack options from wide. Hamann or Sissoko can offer protection to the 3 central defenders, Alonso can get the passes flowing from the centre to the widemen, to Gerrard through the middle or straight to Crouch for knockdowns to Cisse. If Mori plays then either can take the ball down and set up Gerrard or the other striker.

Mike.

Kingp35 wrote:
    . All Liverpool fans suddenly think they are a good side.Your not.

So because el rabitos said we have a chance of coming 2nd it means all liverpool fans suddenly think were a good side? hmmm right so...

So because el rabitos said we have a chance of coming 2nd it means all liverpool fans suddenly think were a good side? hmmm right so...

wtf? does anyone actually read each others posts on the bleedin thread?....i said liverpool should be aiming towards 2nd! key word aiming. as in that should be the target.
    All Liverpool fans suddenly think they are a good side.Your not.

man u got a leeds flag on ur sig....now correct me if i'm wrong, but did leeds not invest big time into getting into the champions league and when they failed to win it go trickling into relegation??

liverpool came 5th last year, and call it a fluke or what ever, but they played a whole champions league tournement and won it PLUS the played every round of the carling cup.

liverpool played alot of games last year with a largely depleted side, so to be honest they did alot better than most teams would do in their postion.

so if liverpool are an average side, what does that make spurs and the rest of the teams that are supposidly going to finish above them?

el rabitos wrote:
    man u got a leeds flag on ur sig....now correct me if i'm wrong, but did leeds not invest big time into getting into the champions league and when they failed to win it go trickling into relegation??

What has that got to do with anything?
    liverpool came 5th last year, and call it a fluke or what ever, but they played a whole champions league tournement and won it PLUS the played every round of the carling cup.

I dont think the champions league was a fluke. They tactically got it right but is a totally different kettle of fish to the premiership which is ultimately where liverpools weaknesses are shown.
    liverpool played alot of games last year with a largely depleted side, so to be honest they did alot better than most teams would do in their postion.

As did Everton who manage to come 4th. Dont be using injuries as an excuse. Every team faces them.
    so if liverpool are an average side, what does that make spurs and the rest of the teams that are supposidly going to finish above them?

Its amazing that you give out about people not actually reading what is posted and then you do the same thing. I never said Spurs WOULD finish ahead of liverpool I said they could and on current form I would pick them ahead of Liverpool. And yes to answer your question Spurs are an average side but they are playing better than Liverpool at the moment and look more likely to finish higher than Liverpool.

What has that got to do with anything?

it has to do with people not taking into account what kinda toll competing in the champion league has on a club.
    I dont think the champions league was a fluke. They tactically got it right but is a totally different kettle of fish to the premiership which is ultimately where liverpools weaknesses are shown.

maybe it was the fact that they were playing more games than the other teams that they were losing to? ....of course along with benitez adapting to a new league aswell
    As did Everton who manage to come 4th. Dont be using injuries as an excuse. Every team faces them

yeah but evertons depleted squad wasnt playing as many games as liverpools depleted squad.
    Its amazing that you give out about people not actually reading what is posted and then you do the same thing. I never said Spurs WOULD finish ahead of liverpool I said they could and on current form I would pick them ahead of Liverpool. And yes to answer your question Spurs are an average side but they are playing better than Liverpool at the moment and look more likely to finish higher than Liverpool.

its people already writing liverpool off and not taking into account the oppostion so far and the improvements that have been made, thats whats bugging me tbh

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Kingp35 wrote:
    All Liverpool fans suddenly think they are a good side.Your not.

I think thats a bit unfair! Liverpool are a good side and most Liverpool fans have always thought that, won a fair bit over last few years with maybe not the best side we have ever had but still 'good'.

Definitely one of the top 4 in the premiership, which position out of 2nd, 3rd or 4th will likely come down to which of us, man u and arse go further in the champs league as without the massive money all 3 are lacking the squad to do well in everything in the same year...

• Advertisement

2000-01 UEFA Cup Winners, League Cup, FA Cup
    2001-02 Champions League Quarter Finals
    2002-03 UEFA Cup Quarter Finals, League Cup
    2003-04 UEFA Cup 4th round
    2004-05 Champions League Winners, League Cup Finalists.

Not too shabby over 5 years for a such a crap team.

On a different note I see Cisse is threatening to pack his bags in January, Marseille already being mentioned. Or was it Monaco?

Mike.

Advertisement