Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Chelsea Round Two.

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

daveym wrote:
    Definitely one of the top 4 in the premiership, which position out of 2nd, 3rd or 4th will likely come down to which of us, man u and arse go further in the champs league as without the massive money all 3 are lacking the squad to do well in everything in the same year...

I totally disagree with this and I think the 5th place finish last season and current league position are enough to back me up on this one. You have absolutely no proof whatsoever that Liverpool are one of the top 4 sides where as there is plenty of proof to say they arent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

mike65 wrote:
    2000-01 UEFA Cup Winners, League Cup, FA Cup
    2001-02 Champions League Quarter Finals
    2002-03 UEFA Cup Quarter Finals, League Cup
    2003-04 UEFA Cup 4th round
    2004-05 Champions League Winners, League Cup Finalists.

Not too shabby over 5 years for a such a crap team.

Why do people post such pointless stuff. What Liverpool did in 2001 etc is totally irrelevent on how their current team is. they are not a crap team but also not one of the top 4 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Why do people post such pointless stuff. What Liverpool did in 2001 etc is totally irrelevent on how their current team is. they are not a crap team but also not one of the top 4 imo.

its hardly irrelevent, it will take a major shift in power to take liverpool/man u/arsenal away from consistantly competing in the top 4.....spurs, everton, boro, and the like just dont have the finances to compete season after season with them

liverpool finished 5th, so they lost out on some money, but they won the champions league and made up the money they lost out on.

if you want to argue about it just look at where liverpool have finished over the years. might not have won the league, but have constantly fluctuated between the top 4 postions.

now for a team that dominated english football and are now in a low period for the club, what liverpool have achieved in a low period is more than any of the teams you think will knock them out of the top 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

this is all crazy talk IF (i said if) Liverpool win there game in hand it only leaves them 3 points behind Arsenal and 4 points behind United????? so does having those extra 4 points make Arsenal and Man U so much better then Liverpool a average side??? All this talk is bull!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Kingp35 wrote:
    I totally disagree with this and I think the 5th place finish last season and current league position are enough to back me up on this one. You have absolutely no proof whatsoever that Liverpool are one of the top 4 sides where as there is plenty of proof to say they arent

There is no 'proof' of either thing, what is your 'proof' that liverpool aren't a good side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

el rabitos wrote:
    its hardly irrelevent, it will take a major shift in power to take liverpool/man u/arsenal away from consistantly competing in the top 4.....spurs, everton, boro, and the like just dont have the finances to compete season after season with them

when the list of how much each club has spent on players since the start of the PL was released at the start of the season spurs were 3rd/4th and well above arsenal so its not fair to say that they cant compete with arsenal financally....

daveym wrote:
    There is no 'proof' of either thing, what is your 'proof' that liverpool aren't a good side?

Last seasons league campaign, this seasons league campaign and their current form compared to other teams ahead of them and that includes all teams not just the big three

el rabitos wrote:
    if you want to argue about it just look at where liverpool have finished over the years. might not have won the league, but have constantly fluctuated between the top 4 postions.

yes but what a team did a few seasons ago has no reflection on how good their team is now.Its pretty simple really. Look at my team leeds and what we achieved for 4 seasons in a row. That does that still mean we are a good side because of what we did then? No it doesnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Kingp35 wrote:
    Who are the top 4 in your opinion? - shouldn't take you too long to post :p
    First three there isn't any debate over but the 4th place is quite an interesting one. I'm a Liverpool fan so I want it to be them but to be honest it's a top 3 at the moment (or a top one followed by the next two followed by a few others who fancy themselves for fourth) and not a top four.

Everton were top 4 last season, that just proves the point that it's a top 3 and not top 4 - the gulf from 3rd to 4th was plain to see and now Everton suck (Everton fans have told me they sucked last season too :p).

Any claims that Liverpool are doing poorly this campaign are rubbish - I'm sorry but 6 matches are not a campaign and considering we've already played the 2 of the top 3 in those 6 matchs there's not much information to go on.

For me Spurs are looking the 4th best team but I'm not convinced they've strength and depth to last the season (anyone say that about Everton last year? :)) but we'll see. Middlesborough are worse then last year so far and I expect both Liverpool and Newcastle to start pushing up the table in the next 5 - 10 matchs. Overall to be honest I don't see much merit in looking at the table so far except to point to Chelsea crapping all over every other team.

I agree with you that it is a top 3 really and 4th place is tough to call but I would give it to Spurs at the moment. They are playing good football and I just feel they are a better side than Liverpool are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Kingp35 wrote:
    I agree with you that it is a top 3 really and 4th place is tough to call but I would give it to Spurs at the moment. They are playing good football and I just feel they are a better side than Liverpool are.
    Yup, and I forgot about Charlton. So that's probably Spurs, Charlton, Liverpool and possibly Newcastle holding the top three up. To put the cat amongst the pigeons you could say that neither Arsenal or ManU will necessarily be in the top 3 by the time the end of the season comes. Neither are particularly impressive so far to my mind.

Anyhu, way off topic and the threads probably in danger of being shut soon - no loss to Liverpool fans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

yes but what a team did a few seasons ago has no reflection on how good their team is now.Its pretty simple really. Look at my team leeds and what we achieved for 4 seasons in a row. That does that still mean we are a good side because of what we did then? No it doesnt

what team did a few years ago?....liverpool won the champions league in this calender year. not a bad consolation prize for a dip in league form

leeds are not even an issue here, they borrowed more money than they had to sustain 4 seasons of relative success that ended with no silverwear anyway and ultimatly cost them their place in the premiership. leeds are not liverpool.

as i said before, they league is a marathon not a sprint. maybe spurs are doing well now, but i dont think they have the squad or the ability to sustain current form for 38 games, nor do charlton or bolton. boro maybe, and newcastle with a good manager.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Last seasons league campaign, this seasons league campaign and their current form compared to other teams ahead of them and that includes all teams not just the big three

thats what I mean, what kind of 'proof' is that, a pile of rubbish. They came 5th last year with half the team injured and a full complement of champions league games, oh yeah they won that too, beating plenty of top sides on the way. By your reckoning that's 'proof' that they are at the very least a good side, maybe not a great side but a good side..

Well there is more proof to suggest that they arent a top four side than there is to show that they are a top four side which is what you said. So how about you tell me how they are a top 4 side despite not finishing in the top 4 or currently being in the top 4? Doesnt make much sense to me

Kingp35 wrote:
    Well there is more proof to suggest that they arent a top four side than there is to show that they are a top four side which is what you said. So how about you tell me how they are a top 4 side despite not finishing in the top 4 or currently being in the top 4? Doesnt make much sense to me

You can't say there is 'more proof', there either is proof or not, maybe you feel there is more evidence in your opinion.
    I said I had no 'proof' you said you could prove the aren't a 'good' side and you can't.
    You said yourself that past seasons mean nothing and this fair into the season being in the top 4 means nothing, or do you feel the current top 4 is indicative of the top 4 at the end of the season? Hardly.

My point was that there is no such thing as proof, it's a matter of opinion.
    I guess we can see who's opinion was correct at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Kingp35 wrote:
    Stop talking.

PiE wrote:
    Stop talking.

why? Point out where what I said is wrong?

daveym wrote:
    You can't say there is 'more proof', there either is proof or not, maybe you feel there is more evidence in your opinion.
    I said I had no 'proof' you said you could prove the aren't a 'good' side and you can't.
    You said yourself that past seasons mean nothing and this fair into the season being in the top 4 means nothing, or do you feel the current top 4 is indicative of the top 4 at the end of the season? Hardly.

My point was that there is no such thing as proof, it's a matter of opinion.
    I guess we can see who's opinion was correct at the end of the season.

I never said I had "proof" that Liverpool werent a good side but you must admit there are more stats to suggest they arent top 4 than to suggest they are. I guess it is opinion at the moment but i would gladly take a bet with anyone Liverpool wont finish in the top 4

Advertisement