Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A big "NO THANK YOU" to the hackers

Options
  • 10-09-2001 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if it was spurred by Digi_Tilmitt's ("silly") thread (- the one entitled "Take the war to heart of the enemy!"), but we've had a number of offers of 'help' through our feedback form on the web site from hacking and cracking groups, who are only too eager to pull sites down on our behalf. :mad: ... muppets, essentially ...

Let me state categorically and unambiguously here and now that we do NOT require this so called 'help' from these types of people. Anybody doing any such thing and saying that they do it on our behalf is talking out of the wrong orifice.

IrelandOffline does NOT advocate, condone or support the cracking/defacing of ANY web sites. Anyone who does anything like this is not working on our behalf.

I hope that's clear. While support is appreciated from (practically) anywhere and anyone, we do NOT require such 'services' or 'assistance'. That's not our style.

End-Of-Transmission :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Uh, I'm not sure calling them "muppets" is very constructive Bard. The words "Steve Gibson" spring immediately to mind...

Oh, and calling them "hackers" is also offensive to hackers. They're not hackers, they're crackers. Even they know that. (The popular press don't, but hey, what do the popular press know?)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

ok - sorry for using the word 'hackers', - I should have known better ... but they're an unhelpful element that we will not want involved as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

There is the whole 'net sit in' element to this.I cant excatly remeber who organizes these but they are essiently a denial of service attack on a website..ive seen examples that were protesting for human rights etc against places like cambodia .

I could not see it being benificial at all in with respect to what ireland offline is trying to achieve..the net boycott is a far more interesting idea..would have to be done on a weekend though and would involve alot of publicity im sure allot of dublin radio stations would promote it.

Baisically why use a service that is unsatisfactory i.e. Eircom or Esats excuse for no limits.Surely you could do without the Internet for a day :) The irony of it all would be though...the people that remained online would have better access times as the service wouldnt be as overloaded..could you draw yourself away from that kind of temptation ? ;)

For some reason also..the poll that was on ireland.com/technology about the gov intervening as regards net access doesnt seem to have been published on their site nor any comments..i find that bizzare...unless im looking in the wrong place

Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Oh, and calling them "hackers" is also offensive to hackers. They're not hackers, they're crackers. Even they know that. (The popular press don't, but hey, what do the popular press know?)

adam

I believe "s<r1pt k1dd13" is the correct term.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

i dont think its a good idea to call them muppets, ive not problem with Real Crackers/hackors. a simple no thank you would be all you had to say on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I have hired a team of 200 elite Chinese hackers, they are waiting in former Soviet nuclear submarines off the Dogger Bank, I only have to give the signal etc

So hurry up do you want them or not? Otherwise I have to feed the buggers and theres only so many crates of pot noodles I can afford on my income

I believe "s<r1pt k1dd13" is the correct term.

Well, if we're going to be anal, they actually prefer to be known as l33t hax0r's. I tend to refer to them as "little boy".

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

you like little boys do yea, theres allways one in the group:eek: :eek:

Yes, there is, isn't there little boy?

[Yes, I still occasionally read your posts. Usually I wonder why shortly afterwards.]

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

any group that is vocal about this are liars.
    if you guys are so good then "hack" me .
    the comp i surf the net is a windows XP machine, i dont run a firewall on it.
    so do it, if your that good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

It's true. Mostly anybody who could effect the network would be making better use of their time phreaking and getting free calls anyway.

Or does does posting few l33t comments and changing a few pictures on a public website by "hacking" IIS count as hacking these days ;) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I believe I've made my point.

These hackers/crackers/whatever-you-want-to-call-them have offered their "services" to IrelandOffline to bring down certain sites.

Our response is a sharp "NO!" - as that's not in keeping with what we're about.

end of story :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement