Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advise me on haircut, please

• 01-10-2005 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Okay, quick question. This is me. (those with sensitive stomachs may wish to skip). I usually geta haircut in the local barbers. I want something a bit less nerdy and so on. I'm gay, and would prefer to look it (I may get flamed on that one a bit....) I have absolutely no idea about getting haircuts, tho, and the whole subject scares me a little. So, any advice for me? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh you just want to change your appearance so that Smeggle's lawyers can't find you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Oh you just want to change your appearance so that Smeggle's lawyers can't find you.

Damn, they're onto me. Are you undercover? You're obviously not Vince himself, as you speak English.

Am I not getting a serious answer on this, then? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

why not try toni &guy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

depends what you're looking for. A move away from what you call the nerdy cut to the more trendy metrosexual/gay/stylish look would probably be gotten in Toni and Guy. Ask for one of the guys and ask him to improvise with a cut an colour. They're in Dundrum Shopping Centre and also off Grafton Street in town(cant remember the STreet name, somewhere near the Clarendon. My girlfriend had hers done in Toni and Guy. She's gone from reddy/blonde to purple and pink. She's a fashion student and extremely style conscious and was looking for what some would call a more "trendy" haircut and i have to say it looks amazing on her, so i'd highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

rsynnott wrote:
    Okay, quick question. This is me. (those with sensitive stomachs may wish to skip). I usually geta haircut in the local barbers. I want something a bit less nerdy and so on. I'm gay, and would prefer to look it (I may get flamed on that one a bit....) I have absolutely no idea about getting haircuts, tho, and the whole subject scares me a little. So, any advice for me? :)

Maybe get the top cut shorter (have your hair even length on all sides and top) and spike the hair with some wax. Thay may look cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Leave it growing for a couple of months then get it cut into an indie/Oasis style cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Leave it growing. End of story.

Leave it growing. End of story.
    I agree. I haven't had a hair cut or a shave at all this year and it's great!

I can't even remember the last time I combed my hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I agree. I haven't had a hair cut or a shave at all this year and it's great!

I can't even remember the last time I combed my hair.

Ok, I'm with you on the hair cut and shave, but not combing? That's just not cricket man, you need to look after your hairs. They are you ariels. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald headed men are uptight.

• Advertisement

I don't need to comb it. It's perfectly trained by this stage and just falls right all the time. Sure, I don't get a very neat parting, but neat partings are a bit strange looking on people with long hair.

I bet Jesus never used a comb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Get yourself into the likes of peter marks and ask for a stylist it will cost you a few euros but at least you will get a great hair cut to your satisfaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Just let it grow.

I haven't had my hair cut in about 2 years and it's wicked.

Granted, occasionally some ppl (Zane, the b*stard) say I look like a homeless person, but tis all in good fun. Plus, as a self-titled "Bum", I have appearances to keep up...

So grow it long and lovely!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Quick get some homos in here now before the rockers take over! :p

T&G might be a leap to far to start off with so I suggest going for something more conservative at first. You can go into any barber and ask for a 3 blade at the back and sides and a scissor cut on top. If the barber is any good he will ask a few more questions about how u want it styled, but thats a good starting point. (btw if the barber doesnt ask you questions i think you should use a different place the next time). Once you have the hair cut you can prob mess around with gel in your own time spiking it up and stuff to see what suits you and what you like. Its important it get your hair cut regularly (may be changing barbers to see who you like best). Don't let it grow back too long, the minute it starts getting unmanageable get a trim. You look like you might have a bit of a calf's lick thing going on there so a spikey/messy job at the front could work.

The expensive option is to into somewhere like T&G or Knights of the Green or wherever and ask what you asked here and the hairdresser will ask questions and do his/her thing, with sexy results. Personally too much hassle for my liking, and maintaining the style could be bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

SebtheBum wrote:
    I haven't had my hair cut in about 2 years and it's wicked.

ROFL Sebastian! :D
    SebtheBum wrote:
    Granted, occasionally some ppl (Zane, the b*stard) say I look like a homeless person, but tis all in good fun. Plus, as a self-titled "Bum", I have appearances to keep up...

Go back to the streets where you came from you homeless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Go to David Marshall on dawson street pain in the arse though expensive and the cuts look AMAZING when you walk out but look like **** a week later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

I recommend Toni and Guy also. When you say you want to look gay, it's hard to differentiate these days as lots of gay guys go for shaved heads and straight guys are going for more funky looks etc. The Toni & Guy on Dame St is good, most of the stylists in there seem to be blokes as well. Don't go too mad at first and remember that you must be able to manage it yourself, otherwise it will look naff.

Also, have you thought about getting contacts? Not being funny or anything, but they're helpful if you're trying to get away from the nerdy look. And before anyone starts, I do think people can be attractive in glasses, but there are nerdy glasses and "cool" glasses.

Ooh, cool, lots of replies :)
    *Sassy* wrote:
    I recommend Toni and Guy also. When you say you want to look gay, it's hard to differentiate these days as lots of gay guys go for shaved heads and straight guys are going for more funky looks etc. The Toni & Guy on Dame St is good, most of the stylists in there seem to be blokes as well. Don't go too mad at first and remember that you must be able to manage it yourself, otherwise it will look naff.

Shaved head? Ewh, nope, wouldn't be going for that at all.
    *Sassy* wrote:
    Also, have you thought about getting contacts? Not being funny or anything, but they're helpful if you're trying to get away from the nerdy look. And before anyone starts, I do think people can be attractive in glasses, but there are nerdy glasses and "cool" glasses.

Yep, I've considered that; however the idea of poking things in my eyes terrifies me.
    Go to David Marshall on dawson street pain in the arse though expensive and the cuts look AMAZING when you walk out but look like **** a week later.

That's not really overly encouraging, you know :)

Eek, thanks for all the help, everyone. I will quite likely continue going to my local barber tho; most of those places look fairly intimidating :( (I'm a coward, really)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I knew a guy in work who had similar facial features to yourself and he looked really good after he got a bit of colour added to his hair. It really lifted his face. Also I heavily recommend contact lenses. Everyone feels squeamish at the thought of poking themselves in the eye, but really it's one of those "do it once, think nothing of it ever again" things. You can get disposable ones which are quite cheap and you can wear them just on nights out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

get lazer eye surgery and wear a cap backwards!

• Advertisement
Advertisement