Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charcoal availability

• 01-10-2005 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

OK. So the wx has passed it's sell-by date but there are so many meat dishes that taste so good only from the BarBi.
    Finding charcoal is a problem. I have some stocks remaining but was too late for the last bags from B&Q and I cannot find it anywhere else.
    Can anyone direct me to a source of good HARDWOOD charcoal (not briquettes).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got some from the supervalu near me, distributed by bord na mona i think?
    Try lighting hardwood sticks ash, oak , etc and cook over the coals.
    thats the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Potchumkin

Thank you for the reply CJ. I have tried the method you suggest - very popular in S Africa. Getting proper wood here is not such an easy task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hey if you are going to the trouble of cooking a boere than the least you can do is to go to the local park and get some oak sticks:)
    You must be in a desert if you cannot get oak/ash sticks.
    even in Dublin you can go the Phoenix park and get some fallen branches or any waste ground has some ash trees , Ash burns well even when green and gives great heat.
    It is worth your while, if you cannot get charcoal.
    You are right to stay away from the Briquettes they are mainly sand anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Potchumkin

......... that large N Dublin estate buffering you from the rest of the world.
    In reality, that was a great idea - scavange for larger twigs and smaller branches. I set off the other day and had as much as I might need for a fire or two in only about .15 mins.
    A really big bag is next on my list. Thanks.
    Still can't find any charcoal though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

.15 minutes was fast, there must have been no kryptonite about that day ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement