Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i get to college?

Options
  • 01-10-2005 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

eh i want to go to college but i failed my last christmas and summer exam really badly i got only 3 percent in 1 subject and only past one. i know if i worked hard this year theres a possibility i can get to college but my mum says theres not a chance and id be better getting a trade. i have done plastering and stuff and i like trades.. but its a miracle im still in school i hardly ever went to school last year i was always dossin stayin wit my friends and smoking joints and workin. but i realised that life outside skool is hard and i want to make the most of the fact that im still in school. i want to do music and production in some college. but another problem is the lack of money its meant to be expensive 2 go to college. what estimation of a price wud it cost to go to dublin and what kinda points will i need to do music and production does any1 know a site where i can check this stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

first of all fair play to ya! if u really are determined and focused i think theres no reason that u cant go to college!! jst be sure to start working now and carry on all the way up coz like you said you haven't really been doing much like!!

to check points go to www.cao.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭R.D

Yeah man, it's cool that your willing to at least make a go at it this year especially. It can be tough, I should know but it'll be worth it when you get those points in August next year and prove everyone wrong. College can be expensive but you could be entitled to a government grant to help you out there. But you don't need to worry about just yet, as your Guidance teacher will go over that with you and your class mates in a few months. Anyway, good luck man, hope it all works out for you! And if you ever need help with anything I'm just a PM away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

There is no rule says you have to go to college straight from school. It's great you have reached a decision to try and work this year following the messing about you did, but maybe to try and catch up in what's left of this year is too big a challenge?
    Talk to some of your teachers - it might be a better idea for you to switch into fifth year again and start it all properly.

Of course you won't be 'with your mates' etc., but if you can choose to break away from them, then you possibly have the right attitude towards getting what you want.

There are many routes to college. If you don't meet the initial entry requirements, consider a PLC course in a relevant area - many colleges will allow for this.

Just as a point of information, college attendance forms part of the apprenticeship for many 'trades' nowadays, and has done for some years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A PLC course is probably the way you should go. Ballyfermot College of Further Education (Dublin) do a PLC in sound operations and production and a couple of other music courses.
    Kylemore College again in Dublin all music courses http://www.kylemorecollegemtc.ie/

or try the CDVEC website http://www.cdvec.ie/

Obviously moving to Dublin will be expensive so if you really are intereseted in coming to Dublin to do a course dedicate some time into looking at how much it would cost you now. In about June or July of next year you'll recieve a letter from the Govenment with an application form for a HEI Government grant to continue your studies and you'll probably be eligable considering you go into full time education...you'd probably be able to look into that now to see if you can afford the move.

FETAC courses i.e a PLC are always a good option http://www.fetac.ie/ might be able to give you information on courses closer to where you live.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement