Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing OL games

• 01-10-2005 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

well can ya in the labs if ya have swipe cards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

What is OL? If its online, then the answer is not really... most of the labs have firewalls which will block most games on the internet. Of course you can play the webgames like tetris and all them, but technically theyre not allowed by the policy. People play Unreal Tournament and sometimes quake 3 on the LAN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

OL is online yesh, hopefully we'll get some UT so, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

We got a very angry email from the cs helpdesk last year for playing UT and watching music videos on the lab computers in college so i'd say not, Ut was found in the system folder on dell 03, dell 04 and dell 13 last year so if they're not fireing out emails yet than let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

How long ago was that Dmitri? I haven't been in the labs since March, but the UT was going strong back then.

Dimitri wrote:
    We got a very angry email from the cs helpdesk last year for playing UT and watching music videos on the lab computers in college so i'd say not, Ut was found in the system folder on dell 03, dell 04 and dell 13 last year so if they're not fireing out emails yet than let us know.
    they didnt kick you off for a few days days no?

• Advertisement

Illkillya wrote:
    How long ago was that Dmitri? I haven't been in the labs since March, but the UT was going strong back then.
    Came out on the month off they were complaing about gaming, watching music videos and watching films because they used up too much band width.
    They didn't kick anyone off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

We used to play UT and Quake on the LAN in the BIS labs last year and the year before.

They eventually noticed the spikes in network traffic and removed the games. Might be put back up at some stage.

Unfortunate theyr'e gone, we just got brand new machines with proper graphics cards. Even the old UT used to run like pants on the onboards in the old machines. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Dimitri wrote:
    Came out on the month off they were complaing about gaming, watching music videos and watching films because they used up too much band width.
    They didn't kick anyone off though.
    really where taking the piss tho :) it was happening during the actual timetabled labs too, most people where playing UT99 great fun. :D
    1st cs computers where completely shi.te cud just about play it, others wornt much better all onboard graphics...

/edit
    also there was 1000's of mp3s on one of the servers and i think they were pretty quick to stop that :cool:

another angry email :o

Ya good times pity second year aint as good, netsoc are going to set up some lan parties for the classic games such as ut and quake 3, there trying to get people to play who haven't gamed in a while as oppose t css players who are nearly ready to take over the world! So i should be sniping again in no time!

1st yr cs, and the comps are rubbish. running on a bad pentium 3. can install **** on em no? WORMS WORLD PARTY!

• Advertisement

there r ways to get games on them :D and 2yr+ computers r much better

what are these ways xmas?

As a cs student you should be able to figure that out...the rest of us did!

jacksie wrote:
    what are these ways xmas?
    the helpdesk people mightnt b too happy and probably breaks your AUL (But who reads them neway) so i better not say anything.

schgood just pm me will yah too lazeh!

Advertisement