Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Heel of all time?

• 01-10-2005 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Since we've had alot of greatest ever threads and since PWInsider are running a poll on this question, I thought I'd ask it here - who is the greatest heel of all time?

I would go for Ric Flair myself though I think Vince McMahon's character during the Austin era deserves a mention.

Comments

Vince was the first name that sprung to mind.

Others worth mentioning imo are Angle, HHH, Flair, Jericho, and Bischoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Mr. McMahon was great during the Attitude Era

Kurt Angle would be my favourite atm though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Flair as the best Heel wrestler, Paul Heyman was a better heel then McMahon he was someone you just loved to hate. (I wish Paulie was back on T.V. ) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Flair for me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

McMahon or Di Biase for me. But any wrestler who is naturaly good on the mic can pull off heel well. See HBK, Angle, Jake Roberts for good examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Probably McMahon. I was watching some old promos he did the other day. Some great intensity in some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Honourable mention to Bobby Heenan in the late 80s to early 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I dont expect too many people will agree with this.

For me, JBLs reign was outstanding. When he won the title at GAB 2004, people wrote him off straight away, saying Guerrero would win it back very quickly as JBL doesnt have the credentials to be a champion.

Boy did he prove people wrong. Everything about his reign, for me, was perfect heel. His promos annoyed the piss out of people, all the while being funny. His arrogance of thinking people actually liked him, his little questions in interviews "hows your family"?. Brilliant.

His matches werent as bad as people made out. He won, or indeed retained the title, by any means necessary, which again was classic heel.

I am just very disspointed in the way he dropped the title. it was such an anti climax. That said, i think it was about the right time for him to drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Moogle

I liked JBL as champion. He was great on the mic.

My favourite would have to be Flair. Just look at all the promos on his dvd classic stuff.

Best heel announcer is Bobby Heenan. Heel manager as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Yeah just look at JBL's lateset performance on Smackdown, coming out with the Poncho and donkey, classic heel crowd bashing.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with you on JBL. It think he's a great heel but best of all time? Maybe further down the line and hoping he doesnt get stale. So long as keeps his fantastic off the cuff witt he'll do fine.

Id like to mention Right To Censor. They pissed everyone off. Even the music bugged the hell out of me. It also holds the record of worst selling merchandise last time I heard.

JBL is a very fun character. I think his run as champ at least at the start was seen as being negative beacuse 1. it stopped eddies run as champ way too early at least in my opinion and 2. for 5/6 years he was a tag team guy going nowhere so it was hard to beleive in him as a credible champion. I think he did quite a good job in the end though particuliarly on the mic. But the best ever heel? No way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Brow wrote:
    Id like to mention Right To Censor

lol
    they really got on my nerves

|Ya, he isnt the best of all time, but probably the best at the moment.

Of all time, well, there are quite a few spring to mind

1. HBK after leaving The Rockers. He was a cocky arrogant piece of crap, and that bugged the life out of people. His play acting in the ring helped the cause no end.

2. Hogan when he turned heel and joined the NWO. This was so radical, no one saw this coming. He cut some amazing heel promos and went against everyting Hogan ever stood for. "You fans can stick it brother!"

3. The best heel of all time is probably a no-brainer though - VINNY MAC. His feud with Austin was arguably the greatest feud in sports entertainment history. What better heel to be than a mega rich one, who always gets his own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

The Vinnie Mac of 1998 wins the vote by a distance for me. That Austin/Vince fued was probably the most enjoyable piece of TV of my childhood.

Also a mention to The Rock. The ultimate lovable heel!

JBL best heel? Worst more like it........... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Has to be Vinny Mc overall, i remember sneakin up in the middle of the night all those years ago when Austin was number 1 in the Royal Rumble and Vince was number 2, purely just to see vince get his ass kicked for 2 minutes!!

Jbl's been one of the greatest in recent years, winning by hook or by crook and really knowing how to work a crowd.

HHH deserves a mention as well because of the pure "real" heat he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Foley played a really brilliant heel in ECW. His anti-hardcore promos were the best promos I have ever heard, and were so damn convincing that you'd totally see his point. I have never seen a character like that before or since; a heel he won't give the fans what they want, but is right not to do so. Genius.

Wacker wrote:
    Foley played a really brilliant heel in ECW. His anti-hardcore promos were the best promos I have ever heard, and were so damn convincing that you'd totally see his point. I have never seen a character like that before or since; a heel he won't give the fans what they want, but is right not to do so. Genius.
    There the best promos I've ever seen.

Shame he wouldnt do one for one night stand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Flair by a mile - and not just the best heel - I'd have him as the best all round character in wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

wtf is a heel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

CiaranC wrote:
    wtf is a heel?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 markhyland1

The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase, Bobby Heenan and Ric Flair

CiaranC wrote:
    wtf is a heel?

Bad Guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

first and for most heels flair, v mac, hbk, WTF 2nd JBL great timing in a lack luster arena, but THE BEST HEEL EVER "ECW" RAVEN he was hated by the crowd he was hated by the viewers and even made tommy dreamer a star by making him wait about 3 years for a victory. just look back he didn't do much, he'd slump in a corner but come promo, angle, whatever he'd ilicit the most gut wrenching reaction no matter what angle he played. sandmans kid & wife, dreamers old summer camp teasing target, cruxifiction of sandman, amongst others [which he had to apologise to a phildelphia crowd for] plain & simple greatest heel = RAVEN. hell he even made steven richards seem bearable

Advertisement