Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

going to college!

• 01-10-2005 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

eh i want to go to college but i failed my last christmas and summer exam really badly i got only 3 percent in 1 subject and only past one. i know if i worked hard this year theres a possibility i can get to college but my mum says theres not a chance and id be better getting a trade. i have done plastering and stuff and i like trades.. but its a miracle im still in school i hardly ever went to school last year i was always dossin stayin wit my friends and smoking joints and workin. but i realised that life outside skool is hard and i want to make the most of the fact that im still in school. i want to do music and production in some college. but another problem is the lack of money its meant to be expensive 2 go to college. what estimation of a price wud it cost to go to dublin and what kinda points will i need to do music and production does any1 know a site where i can check this stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

the cao site has points for courses on it. Your school may have a guidance counsellor. S/he will be better able to advise you. Having a trade is a good way to make sure you'll have decent income for the rest of your life.

It's VERY expensive going to college away from home. Check if you can get a grant and decide if you're willing to work a job (like waiter / whatever) to keep the money rolling in. College is great fun though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

All the points are on www.cao.ie or go to your Guidance Councillar.

The most expensive place to go would be Dublin, cheaper places would be in the country or college towns like Maynooth or Carlow.

The leaving cert rewards you if you work, simple as that. Get cracking and you`ll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Music and production courses arent taught as undergraduate degrees. The decent ones are you will need a degree first and also some musical experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Determination will get you to college if you really want to go. If cut down on the hash and do some consistant work in school you can get there with ease. As for the expence, it shouldn't be a problem if you really want it and you get a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

University is expensive? :confused: I was payed by my local council for going and the admission fees were all free for me :) I though 3-rd level edu is free for pretty much everyone? You don't have to come to Dublin UL is pretty good from what I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

No it aint free damn it , I have to pay reg fees every year. God damn free loaders get it free make me bloody sick.

Apologies for my one line rant. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not try Ballyfermot ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

WDK wrote:
    God damn free loaders get it free make me bloody sick.

Why? You should be more mad at the government for increasing the reg fees so much in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I have no problem paying reg fees because I am getting an education, but it makes sick when I hear ppl dont have to pay or ppl continually free ride the bloody system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

to the OP

mike

First off you will need to spend the next nine months or so studying and studying hard. Going out with your mates and smoking blow will have to be stopped. that **** will rot your brain and affects your memory.

See can you get extra help from the teachers in your school on subjects you are having difficulty with.

I would also suggest that you find out if you can join the homework Clubin Our Lady of Lourdes, Last I heard they were running that from the Scout hall. I think they accept secondary school students, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Try not to slip into sylibus C in any subjects. you won't get any points for any sylabus C subjects.

The way the CAO system works is you get points on your six best subjects depending on your grade in these subjects and whether or not they are Higher or Ordinary Level subjects. The most important of these subjects would be Maths and English. Some colleges will disqualify your application if you do not pass Maths.

In October your school will distribute College Application Forms. Fill them out and apply for the courses you want to do and then concentrate on study. You will need to put a few euro asside for the application fee.

If you do fail the Leaving you can always repeat it, and apply for college again.

Another alternative would be to ask your teachers about Leaving cert applied

And one more important thing, ignore people who tell you that you will never acomplish anything. nothing is impossible if you put your back into it.

As for production, you might pick up some production experience in LIT if you qualify at their radio station Wired FM.

PS if there are too many distractions at home i sugest that you go down to the Grannery Library on Michael Street and join up. at least it will be somewhere quiet to study.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

My advice is to never, ever, ever listen to people who tell you you cannot do it.
    I failed pretty much every test I sat in school and nearly every teacher I had told me I should not be doing Honours and should drop down to Pass.
    In my Junior Cert, I did 10 honours subjects and honoured them all.
    In my Leaving Cert, despite 5 out of my 7 teachers saying I was going to fail, I got 6 honours, 1 pass and 355 points. My Biology teacher thought I was ****, I ended up doing pass but I'm now a 3rd Year Science student and will be taking Biology as a degree.

Don't listen to people saying you can't do it! Persevere and you'll get there.

And cut the hash, it wrecks your memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Don't ever give up on college if you think you might be interested. Don't just take up a trade because your mother thinks that would be better.

Colleges like UCD ect would be too demanding if you don't have a good leaving though there are many many I.T's and PLC colleges that have excellent courses.

College away from home is very expensive especially if you are going to Dublin. You can get a grant from you local council and some colleges offer access programs for disadvantaged students. Basically if your combined family income is below €44,000 gross then you may not have to pay any fees, may get a place easier and will have special support services during college.

If possible try to locate a PLC college in your area. It would cut down your costs and give you an excellent introduction to further education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The expensive part of college is living for the year. Rent + bills + travel + food + living. You also need to budget for books, etc.

Look for something (a) that you are good at (b) that you like (c) that will pay your way. I may burst your bubble with this but does music and production fit this bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MikeTyson

thanks for the help. i went to the guidance counseller she gave me a form on FAS and on the Limerick Senior College. i like the look of the Limerick Senior College its usually just a 1 yr coure and u dont need high points 2 get in there either. she said i could get around 170-190 points. its a situation where i never studied in school so i dont want to go 2 college for too long becus im not into reading books and that. so kluck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

I'm not sure if you've heard of Learning Ireland. They offer a range of websites specifically catering for those in search of a course, be it a college (Third Level), Evening Class, Postgraduate or Corporate Training.

I found it useful last year when I was looking for some night courses to fill up my time.

www.nightcourses.com
    www.daycourses.com
    www.postgrad.ie

They have forums as well and there is a section about cao as well.
    http://www.daycourses.com/cao/

In general, it is never too late! If you want to go to college .. get working on it. If you don't get in this year, then repeat your leaving and work your ass off.

It is worth it to do that. I did it! I got into college. I know it looks daunting at first, and staying out with friends, skipping school is pretty easy to do, but think about your future before it is too late!

The job market is pretty competitive and gaps on CVs can be hard to fill. But most importantly, realise that it is not easy for anyone to attain a college position without applying yourself to your books, sacrifice a little and you will gain a lot.

It is an important time for you at the moment .. and time to make a decision that will affect you for years to come. Choose carefully.

Hope this helps

B

Advertisement