Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelandOffline moving to San Francisco...

Options
  • 01-10-2005 10:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

...for better connectivity. 300k WiFi free city-wide in fact. Is this the future of Internet access worldwide? Will Google use Ireland as a testbed for Europe?
    Google Plans to Offer Free WiFi in San Francisco
    jacksonwest writes "What's been rumored for some time has now been confirmed -- Google has made a bid in response to Mayor Gavin Newsom's request for information. The details of the bid include citywide access, for free, at 300kbps. The plans dovetail into their location-based advertising and services strategy, and come on the heels of their recent VPN service rollout."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Thats great an all.

But Google alreadys know what I search for and whats in my emails.

I don't like the idea of what I do on the internet being added to their profile too.

Call me paranoid, but they aren't just doing this for the good of their soul, maybe minority report-esq (Does that even make sense?) holo ad's targetting me directly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

How far can "dont be evil" get you? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Much as I dislike the sentiment, it's hard to argue with Sun's Scott McNealy: “You have no privacy, get over it.” Of course it's been taken out of context and used nefariously, but on the whole, until a majority of people get wise, that's the road we're going down. I don't hold much hope of a majority of people getting wise tbh. If anything we're going in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Ken Shabby wrote:
    ..Will Google use Ireland as a testbed for Europe?

And future maps showing us as "Ireland Sponsored by Google" ? :D

John

Advertisement