Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smods & Cmods... Too much work?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yeah I get you

/me goes off to figure out new analogy or even amend and alter an old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

amp wrote:
    It makes you look corrupt
    Being accused (occasionally as an individual, but far more often under "t3h modz are corrupt! fight t3h powah!") of being corrupt has affected my sense of humour. I will answer such accusations when they arrive, but I don't think I could stop thinking them funny. Really the jokes along the lines of "I am a power-mad mod, ph33r me" are going to keep coming to mind
    amp wrote:
    if it meant you stopped banning people for fun.
    I've already said I will no longer do so on The Cuckoo's Nest. I suppose since you're a mod of Dr. Demento these days I should do so there any more.

I will still ban people comically from LUBNiP if a context that would make it funny occurs, but really, at this stage it's going to be hard to make that seem fresh.

The joke's been done to death (not just by me) on the moderators forum.

There aren't any other forums where it would be appropriate (I suppose there's the humour forum, but I don't think I've ever found anything funny there).
    parsi wrote:
    I think that Mods should stay out of arguments in other fora
    I disagree, though it can cause difficulties. There are some things best kept to the moderators forum, but really if someone has a difference with how I'm doing things I'm happier for it to be dealt with out in the open, especially since amp and wwm are disagreeing with how I've done things as an smod, rather than as a mod.
    parsi wrote:
    I think (idealistically) that the behaviour of mods should be seen as an example for the rest of us.
    Well, I have at least tried to be civil here when arguing. I will call someone I think is a moron a moron, but I don't think that either amp or wwm are morons just because they have criticised me, and I hope that in answering that criticism I haven't been disrespectful (saying I don't find amp's jokes funny could perhaps have been seen as that, but that's just that we don't have similar humour).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

an interesting analogy indeed, but what do you think with regards the topic?
    I rarely see much muppet behaviour on any of the forums i visit so it would appear to me that its all in hand. The 'Report bad post' function is something that i will use as well when incidents pop up without mod action being taken. I can also understand though that without the search options, modding can be a little more time consuming atm.

On the other topic of abusing power, i suppose that its a case for every 50 good calls there may be the odd bad call. I can understand it happening, but i rarely see anybodying fessing up on making a bad decision.

I was online on the night of the 'Post here get banned' thread and tbh i thought it was ridulous as soon as i saw it. TCN's version was funny but Gordan's made a mockery of the Feedback forum tbh. The idea for which came from here in case anybodys interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Now THIS is a real feedback thread. Far better than the usual spam. Pity its dropping into more of a Amp + WWM v Talliesin rather than depating the Baz_H's original issue.

POTM goes to MADJ btw....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

<--- is not now, nor has he ever been BazH.

That is all.

<edit>
    Although by a funny twist of coincidence we did attend the same college at the same time without ever seeming to come into contact.

I say seeming because although he doesn't know it, I used to watch him.
    </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Baz_ wrote:
    I say seeming because although he doesn't know it, I used to watch him.

Creeeeeepyyyy...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and it was a tpost 107, that the power finally left the thread and it was left to wither away and rot....

and it was a tpost 107, that the power finally left the thread and it was left to wither away and rot....
    Whitewashman's been drinking, it's true, check his last few posts.

In summation though, I think the original question has been fairly conclusively answered by most people who posted, except Gordon strangely enough withheld his own opinion.

It is felt by all except wwm that no indeed the cmods and smods do not have too much work to be doing, and that they are happy enough to carry the mantle of their cmod and smodship as well as their regular forums.

When wwm accepted his cmodship he then yielded his regular forums to empower him to carry out his cmod duties that much better (personally I still think that that would be the way to go, but what do I know).

I was a little disappointed that no opinion was given from any of the admins, perhaps they have given them privately, but it would have been nice to see what they thought on the subject.

As for the whole roles of the mod subject, I think that I might start that little discussion next saturday evening to give myself plenty of Sunday afternoon reading.

This thread was indeed an excellent discussion, even if it did go far offtrack (I think at that stage most people had given their points of view on what I had asked about). I think the fact that the thread went off-track and was still quite a good dicussion puts pay to Talliesins assertion that threads should be kept on topic more iron fistedly, because sometimes you only learn things once you've strayed from the planned route.

I hope everyone enjoyed the Sunday matinee, and I hope you will all be around to join in next week. :)

In a more grave summation though, I think it's plain for all to see that there are still some issues which need to be addressed, but not the type of issues which should be addressed in a thread enquiring as to whether cmods and smods are overworked.

Baz_

P.S. although I do believe wwm has been drinking, I think his point about the power leaving in post 107 was almost very accurate.

• Advertisement

No problem Mercury_Tilt, I typed it with you in mind too you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Talliesin wrote:
    Being accused (occasionally as an individual, but far more often under "t3h modz are corrupt! fight t3h powah!") of being corrupt has affected my sense of humour. I will answer such accusations when they arrive, but I don't think I could stop thinking them funny. Really the jokes along the lines of "I am a power-mad mod, ph33r me" are going to keep coming to mind

I've already said I will no longer do so on The Cuckoo's Nest. I suppose since you're a mod of Dr. Demento these days I should do so there any more.

I will still ban people comically from LUBNiP if a context that would make it funny occurs, but really, at this stage it's going to be hard to make that seem fresh.

The joke's been done to death (not just by me) on the moderators forum.

There aren't any other forums where it would be appropriate (I suppose there's the humour forum, but I don't think I've ever found anything funny there).

I disagree, though it can cause difficulties. There are some things best kept to the moderators forum, but really if someone has a difference with how I'm doing things I'm happier for it to be dealt with out in the open, especially since amp and wwm are disagreeing with how I've done things as an smod, rather than as a mod.
    Well, I have at least tried to be civil here when arguing. I will call someone I think is a moron a moron, but I don't think that either amp or wwm are morons just because they have criticised me, and I hope that in answering that criticism I haven't been disrespectful (saying I don't find amp's jokes funny could perhaps have been seen as that, but that's just that we don't have similar humour).

I'm bowing out of this thread as I've said all I want to, and I feel that you've taken the criticism well and seem to be open to the idea of changing your approach on this. This restores my opinion of you somewhat, which, tbh, was quite high before all this crap got started.

I just want to say that I have no personal issues with you. I never have, I merely react to things I feel are wrong. As far as you not finding my jokes funny I don't feel any disrespect whatsoever. I do think that you're quite witty and intelligent. The problem with deadpan humour is that it can be taken quite seriously. I will endeavour not to take you quite so seriously in TCN and elsewhere in the future. :)

\0/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

wow!
    to get back to the topic of this thread
    thanks for your concern Baz, but I'm quite happy to still mod my one forum and if I couldn't manage, I'd say so, but as you've probably noticed, PI has quite enough mods to handle the forum

as for the rest of this thread
    there seems to be some real hostility towards the smods! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

there seems to be some real hostility towards the smods!

/me gets out pitchfork!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

bangwagoner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The management of Boards is much the same as management of any other organization I've every come across in real life.

Workers (posters) they do their thing, sometimes they mess up.

Junior managers (mods) usually do their jobs with enthusiasm; it hasn't yet been knocked out of them yet. They oversee and guide the workers (posters).

Middle managers (cmods) have new-found extra power and like to flex it from time to time. They oversee and guide the junior managers (mods). They sometimes ignore the chain of command. Sometimes they directly discipline workers (posters) just because they can. This intimidates the workers (posters) and undermines the junior managers (mods).

Senior managers (smods) have lots of power but have grown into it as they have had it for a while and in general use it responsibly. Sometimes however they allow junior managers (mods) or middle managers (cmods) to abuse their power and don’t discipline them. Senior management (smods) usually show solidarity with middle management (cmods) even when it shouldn’t. This undermines their own position as they are not seen to be carrying out their duties in an impartial manner. This is a frequent cause of dissent and unrest among the lower oreders. At this level people sometimes spend more time playing politics rather than doing their job.

All workers (posters) and managers (*mods) are human. They make mistakes. Allowances for mistakes must be made. Repeatedly making the same mistake however should lead to sacking (banning) or demotion.

The directors (admins) are usually to far from the BS to get involved with it; they are usually too concerned with the big picture. If they do get involved heads usually roll. Usually as a result of situations that should have been handled more professionally by their managers (*mods).

I don’t think there’s too heavy a workload on management. I do however think there is a distinct lack of professionalism shown in this thread by many, not all, *mods who posted. If any managers behaved in a boardroom the way some of *mods have behaved in this thread they would be looking for new jobs.

That’s all I can say, I am not going to quote anyone, you can all read.
    I’m only a pleb here and am all too aware of the shítstorm I may be bringing down on myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

amp wrote:
    Accusing me of defending the banning of someone just because they're female is nothing to do with calling someone a ****. And if you think I'm anti-alternative sexuality then you really are retarded (no offence to retards!)

There are people laughing at you right now, I'm one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hagar wrote:
    I’m only a pleb here and am all too aware of the shítstorm I may be bringing down on myself.[/color]

In order to create a sh1tstorm, you need to post something legible enough to be read, radical enough to be controversial and offensive enough to be troublesome.

...first hurdle, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Some things should be kept behind closed doors .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The last embers are dying out. Time for the padlock tbh.

LiouVille wrote:
    There are people laughing at you right now, I'm one of them.

I'm done arguing with you in Feedback. Please see the thread in the Thunderdome.

LiouVille wrote:
    Some amp stalking...
    Take it to the Thunderdome Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Ber says, thanks for the concern Baz_, but if I find it all becoming too much, or that I'm not interested in a certain forum anymore, than I'll let the admins know to pass the reigns over.

I've already done it with one forum recently, but I'm quite happy with my lot at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Baz_ wrote:
    I think the fact that the thread went off-track and was still quite a good dicussion puts pay to Talliesins assertion that threads should be kept on topic more iron fistedly, because sometimes you only learn things once you've strayed from the planned route.
    IMO I would have liked to have split it some time ago. Some of the posts should have been left dealing the original query. Some of the posts should have been in a separate thread concerning amp and wwm's criticism of me, and some should have been split into a thread where amp and boston went at each other (and this then moved to the Thunderdome). The policy as it stands wouldn't allow me to do that. But that's a matter for a fourth thread.
    Baz_ wrote:
    I hope everyone enjoyed the Sunday matinee, and I hope you will all be around to join in next week. :)
    I won't be around next Sunday, so it'll have to be someone else's turn.
    amp wrote:
    I will endeavour not to take you quite so seriously in TCN and elsewhere in the future. :)
    Hurrah. I got that one. Maybe I can only get your jokes when they are at my expense :)

Um, I wasn't joking... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

amp wrote:
    It's hard to debate with you when you can't even use the english language.

Irony.

Advertisement