Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solid fuel stove with boiler

Options
  • 02-10-2005 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

anyone know what detail is involved in installing a new solid fuel stove with boiler for heating water only. I'm replacing an oil stove non-boiler .originally when house was plumbed ,the plumber left a pipe from the hot press underground to this area . I'm thinking that all I need is a return line up through the attic to the immersion ( dual cylinder) in the hot press with a circulating pump.and maybe some sort of expansion tank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

probably you'd have two pipes connected to a coil in the copper cylinder.maybe a circulating pump and then a pipe stat to bring on the pump wired from a 13 amp switched spur.i'm guessing this pipework is connected to a feed/expansion tank.
    i wired an oil stove there a few weeks ago similar setup but there was no circulating pump.i must ask about this or maybe someone can explain it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

There are two 1" pipes that run from the boiler to the cylinder heating coil, off this circuit there is a 1/2" expansion and a supply pipe. This is called a primary circuit. Where central heating is in use a circulating pump is typically used and called the secondry circuit. When the pump is switched on the rads heat uo, When off the water in the tank is heated.

that would explain it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gerrykkkdanbury

trying to get this right ,,
    does this mean that natural circulation is enough when just heating hot water ???

i think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I do hope I have missed something in the above posts, Natural Circulation ?

I Think So ? and that's from someone who fitted a boiler ?

Sorry but I have not yet come across the recognised course "Heating 101" or the book Heating For Dummies.

The reason is simple, interfering with boilers that can explode at worst or if lucky blow off at the expansion valve is a trade that takes a little more than a day or a few night courses.

It appears that you need a properly qualified installer, I honestly don't know who is worse the people who sold the appliances or the ones who fit boilers without the basic knowledge.

And homeowmers wonder why insurance premiums are so high.

i think 'gravity circulation' is what he's trying to say.no need for a pump for the cylinder as convection does the job itself.of course he should get a plumber to do the job but it's no harm to know these things pete

Hi dave,

Sometimes, a little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing, that is why I often keep replies very short and never reply to any topic that refers to electricity.

My knowledge of electricity is very basic because I refuse to learn anything more than I absolutely need to need.

As for oil boilers many will not run properly on a gravity system due to in built safety measures.

For your own safety I recommend that you check out the manufacturers detail sheets on both pumps and flues, oil fired appliances are completely different to solid fuel.

I presume the plumber maked the flow and return for the installation of both units and has marked the expansion and feed pipes seperately.

I'm not trying to create work for the plumbers who post in here or myself for that matter, I want to see everyone posting long after their projects have been safely completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

anyone know what detail is involved in installing a new solid fuel stove with boiler for heating water only. I'm replacing an oil stove non-boiler .originally when house was plumbed ,the plumber left a pipe from the hot press underground to this area . I'm thinking that all I need is a return line up through the attic to the immersion ( dual cylinder) in the hot press with a circulating pump.and maybe some sort of expansion tank

If there is a pipe "underground", gravity will not work.

Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gerrykkkdanbury

Perhaps my original question should have been phrased, I'm getting a plumber to install…. And I'm doing some research before he does.
    Rooferpete:
    You should be able to find "Heating For Dummies" at your local book store next to "CONDESCENDING Roofers" and when you do you might find the definition of Natural circulation something like this:
    Natural circulation is the circulation of fluid within piping systems or open pools that is due to the density changes caused by temperature differences. Natural circulation does not require any mechanical devices to maintain flow.

• Advertisement

as james pointed out though your pipework must be rising.pete's alright he's
    'old school' that's all .a little knowledge or information can also be a good thing these days.

Hi Gerry..........

A "CONDESCENDING Roofers" well at least it's original ;)

Everytime I log in to Boards I find something new, the reason is I have probably posted twenty > thirty times outside this section.

As to Roofer well that's a title I am proud of but it doesn't mean my experience or business interests are limited to roof works or Ireland for that matter.

If a person begins a post with something like :

I have a plumber coming in next week and would like a few opinions or some guidance as to how he should approach this job.............

The chances are you would have got a P.M. from me with all the guidance you would need to supervise a tradesman fitting a solid fuel combi stove / boiler (as we call them in the retail business).

Now if you had asked should a thermostat controlling your hot water supply that question I would have answered.

From your reply I take it you bought the book ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Rooferpete, Gerry,

I was under the impression Gerry, from your first post, that you were doing the plumbing. Maybe I am wrong in that assumption. :confused:

Then you go on to say " I have a plumber coming next week, and was looking for advice on how he should aproach the job" :confused:

If he's a plumber , he should know his job, or you have the wrong man. And if he is a plumber , its doubtful he would take advice, or need any from an unqualified person. And if you feel the need to look for advice for your plumber, does that mean you don't trust him. :eek:

I would always advocate from a safety point of view, if there is a safety issue, and if you are not qualified to deal with the topic, then always get a professional opinion. I think that the previous safety advice was given in good faith to advise you about messing with potential dangerous elements.

It is your choice how you take such advice. And at the risk of upsetting you again. Get in a pro plumber, you wont be able to learn enough in a week.

And just in case you are looking for my book, it will be found next to Condescending Roofers, called Jolly Joiners, and I would be proud to be in such knowledgeable company. :D

Chill out Gerry :D:D

kadman :)

Advertisement