Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP : Games to avoid

• 02-10-2005 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Seriously have come across some games that are awful awful. It would be a tradgegy to pay 50 for any of these.

1- Smart Bomb[er?]
    this game is just awful, no its not another name for bomberman in japan, its just a puzzle game where you change wires [rotate angles] to disarm bombs etc, very very weak game. Terrible
    smart-bomb-psp.jpg

2-Frogger
    Good concept, the graphics look good but handling is awful , no anolog support either, only get 4 lives so if you jump in water, start again, frog collecting coins and jumping from platform to platform, could have been good.
    Frogger_5_250.jpg

Personally, i dont like
    Coded Arms
    Ghost in a shell [SAC]

Guilty Gear XX reload, is obviously an exact port, if youve played it before then nothing new here, youll be bored before they can say Heaven or Hell .

Games i would recommend.
    Lumines for one, this game is completley hypnotic and addictive, definatley worth the money, it may seem simple at first but it is absolutley magnificent, i think its by the same maker of REZ.
    lumines-20050317094513250.jpg

Burnout Legends + Wipeout pure + Virtua Tennis = thumbs up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

yea i have virtua tennis and its great, its my favourite game out of thug 2 and rr which i thought i would have liked better,
    games which i am hoping will be brilliant
    sw battlefront 2
    gta lcs
    godfather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tiger woods is awesome and Fifa soccer is also very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Untold Legends is also good if you're into the RPG hack and slash genre. I like it anyway :) But 90% of my time is taken up with Luminies. Ridge Racer is also great fun. I don't think the graphics have been surpassed yet by any other PSP title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Metal Gear Acid.
    The demo parts are annoying to skip through. The game is fantastic looking but is basically a card game. It grows on you but I nearly brought it back because of the intro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

After playing Ridge Racers into the ground, I found Burnout quite crap. The graphics are awful, and the gameplay is only fun for a short while. I only had it for a few days and brought it back. (Free trial! w00t!)
    So yeah, avoid Burnout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Surely Pro Evo will kick ass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

I thought this was games to avoid!
    Avoid Coded Arms at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I couldnt get Coded Arms to .. "work" so to speak so have yet to play it.

I enjoy Mercury and I have to say Burnout is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Guilty Gear XX... Oh my I do love you... where can i get it you sweet prince among beat 'em up titles?! I want to see my beloved Zappa carreen around a widescreen. Has anyone seen it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

only out in japan.
    coded arms is horrible. [works with fastloader winters]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

cormie wrote:
    Surely Pro Evo will kick ass?

i got winning eleven 9 for the psp and it was a bit of a let down. just doesnt feel as good as on the ps2. still early days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Agreed on Coded Arms. Crap :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamie_jj69

do not buy metal gear acid....

it is absolutely sh1t....

i'm bringing mine back, what a waste of money

Its not sh1t.. however it can be very annoying in places and if you didn't realise you were getting a card game. The graphics are excellent.

Annoying part is having to pass through dialog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

metal gear acid is ****e so is formula 1..

vitua tennis is saveage and mercury is one of them 'oh look its gettin bright,time for work' games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

Metal Gear is absolutley Rubbish. Good graphics do not make a good game...especially on a handheld. I'm waiting till they bring out a real MGS game. I'd settle for post of the PS original something like the Gamecube got.

Wipeout was decent but just got fed up after a while....traded it last week...that said i did have it since May.

Got Pro Race driver and was dissapointed. I can handle them porting the game but they haven't even taken into account that the buttons aren't analog. They just toned down the graphics a bit.

Want to get either Lumines or Mercury...any recommend one?

How about Colin McRae?

As I said MGA is a card game. If your not into that sort of thing then yea its crap. So far I'm up to "Le Clown" game room. Apart from stepping through the conversations the game is pretty addictive.

Mercury, good graphics but is insanely hard to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

I'm all over mercury like a wet towel as soon as I get paid and get my own copy ;)

I'm also desperate for Roco Loco. If you've not seen the official website went live in japanese this morning. That said I can't remember the link. Google it, of the two big white buttons the one on the right is a video showing the game. Take a look, that and we love Katamari are my big anticipations for the PSP.

Anyone want to get me a copy of Guilty Gear for all my wonderful news? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spritey

I found Wipeout Pure a bit... slow, almost, by comparison with Ridge Racer

(which gets thumbs up from me!)

I've also heard Everybody's Golf is meant to be ace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I found world tour soccer a seriuos letdown.
    Lumines is good but I havent got hooked on it yet, virtua tennis is class aswell
    I must get mercury to see what it all about..

Also, is ther any good platformers out yet?
    Hakko

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

Ape Academy isn't that bad. Kind of like Wario on the psp, lots of little mini games

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thegogz

I'm Playing MGA at the moment I really like it but I like card type games anyway... As for games to avoid Darkstalkers chronicles is not fantastic the fighting style is so... clunky i suppose is the only way to say it its slow and not fluid at all. I'm going to keep at it though and see if i can get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

SSX Tour is really good [visually and gameplay wise]
    tried socom beta online, i think we should throw out FPS completley, too hard to control, no fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I dunno....I liked Smartbomb....it's hard though, majorly challenging.

IMO avoid Ape Escape.....especially if you liked previous incarnations....it sucks without the PS2 dual analog sticks.
    Dead to rights I found to be a little crap as well.
    Spritey wrote:
    I found Wipeout Pure a bit... slow, almost, by comparison with Ridge Racer

Have you opened up the Rapier or Phantom Classes? Pure is a lot of things; slow isn't one of them....that said I've not bothered trying to progress in RR (damn you Lumines addiction!).

Someone above mentioned C McCrae....likely be my next purchase as I've always been a huge fan of the series...anyone played it or is even out yet?

Advertisement