Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private number prank calls

• 02-10-2005 4:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

private number prank calls..

anything can be done to trace the number?

Im not completely bothered by them, but would love to know who it is and call them back.

Another thing- why do girls think its ok to do it to guys when if the situation was reversed it would mean the guy is a psycho?

Its not ok to do it to guys? It can be very distressing and frustrating and I have in some cases felt threatened.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

To the best of my knowledge, it has to be done via the Gardaí. It was a few months ago when people would ring and just hang up on us.

Although I seem to recall something ComReg had in the pipeline about operators being able to offer that service soon enough. Maybe I'm miles off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

ty..

ill probably not call get the guards involved.

Im seriously pissed off tho. 4am and 4 calls - whoever it is knows my name. its not nice at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

your phone might have an option to reject hidden number calls
    or you could just turn your phone off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If your on vodofone there is a way, dont answer the phone let it go through to message minder and then select the option to dial last recieved call or something to that affect i never had to try it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

that wont work if its a private number

• Advertisement

Im probably just gonna change my number. In some way that means the prank callers have won. But at least they wont be getting thru to me any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

MiCr0 wrote:
    you could just turn your phone off

Now this is sorta the sensible option,especially if there at 4am,do you rea;;y need your phone on then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

womoma wrote:
    Im probably just gonna change my number. In some way that means the prank callers have won. But at least they wont be getting thru to me any more.

Unless they know you and you give them your new number whish is usually the likely way.
    Airhorn tbh solves all.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Airhorn tbh solves all.

What a good idea,never thoght of that one before!!!

If people are ever pranking me I just leave the phone down and let them waste there credit,dont pay any attention to them! Its so funny when it takes them five minutes to realise that nobody is listening to there s**t!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

your neighbours mightn't appreciate an airhorn

i'd contact vf/o2/meteor if you're getting these calls
    its a lot of hastle to change your number - and its best if these people get caught

• Advertisement

MiCr0 wrote:
    its best if these people get caught

To be honest I dont think they will care unless you are receiving threats or something. Especially since if they were to check it out for everybody that received a prank call,they would never be finished checkin prank calls,instead of dealing with real important problems!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

someone put my name and number on back of bus and said contact me for good time, been inundated with calls for last three months, most dont even have the brains to restrict number, pi**ed me off too after a while and changed number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You should contact Dublin Bus about that. Maybe they could find it and scrub it off. Well too late now I suppose... :(

nobody has mentioned my second concern. that its ok for women to make messed up calls to guys but not the reverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I did the airhorn thing and it worked believe me , try it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

depends on what type of a phone you have but on my ngage i have i program to block private number calls, and you can set it up to allow certain numbers, etc.
    the airhorn idea sounds like fun :p

womoma wrote:
    nobody has mentioned my second concern. that its ok for women to make messed up calls to guys but not the reverse.

Who ever said that it was ok???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i keep getting these calls every day at 12 from a private number and they keep asking for John???, i roared at one of them today and he threatened that he would cut my balls off and rape my mother, so i contacted o2 and they are investigating, i informed them that its the same person every day at 12pm, so i dont know what they are going to do, but since my number is a buisness account they are giving me priority, or so she told me anyway.

I may try that airhorn thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Had this a while back myself... unless you're really willing to push it the guards and your operator will do nothing - from experience.

Changing your number gives in to the twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

As far as I understand things the only official way to follow this through, so that its not an individual operators responsibility (what if the call originates from a land line) is to contact the Gardai, they are able to request information from the operators on originating calls , especially if they have caller id switched off.

It might sound heavy handed but operators pretty much have their hands tied from a data protection aspect with regard to investigating complaints like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement