Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

burning linux disks - keep getting failed media errors

• 02-10-2005 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

ive downloaded the iso's for suse mandrake and redhat, all latest ones

i cant get pass the first few minutes after booting from the cd / dvd

the installs say my media has errors

the problem must be how i burn the disks

im using nero in windows, with default settings, is there some special settings / applications i need to use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Have you hashed the files and checked against the MD5 number? It could be a dodgy download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

i dont know how to "hashed the files and checked against the MD5 number"

so, theres no special settings needed to burn linux isos?

i considered the downloads could be bad, but there was no errors during unpack, all 9 downloaded cds gave same errors during install, but i'll grap one from another source jsut in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

hashing = checking the files for consitency.i.e. that they are the same as the files that are hosted (no differences occurred by modification or download issues).
    Nero-no special settings. Just "Burn Image".. Does Nero report any errors?
    Have you tried different CD/DVD brands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

bounty wrote:
    there was no errors during unpack
    Unpack?
    bounty wrote:
    i dont know how
    HashCalc. You should find the numbers you need to compare against on the downloads page of your distros site, or in a read me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

i got the files in WINrar archives, so i had to unpack them

nero reports no errors, im using good media, verbatim datalineplus cd and datasafes dvd

thanks guys, i will let you know how i get on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

bounty wrote:
    i got the files in WINrar archives, so i had to unpack them

nero reports no errors, im using good media, verbatim datalineplus cd and datasafes dvd

They're probably iso images of cd's/DVD's which WinRaR will let you view. You don't need to unpack these files just open up Nero and use the Burn Image option under the Recorder menu in Nero. Pick the iso image you want to burn and Nero will go ahead and do it for you.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

bounty wrote:
    i got the files in WinRar archives, so i had to unpack them/QUOTE]

I'd say that's your problem, right there. Winrar has probably registered .iso extensions as it's own and you're un-raring them before burning the contained files to the CD.

As rmacm, the .iso files are CD images - just do a File/Open in Nero, point it at the .iso file and it'll do the rest.

Advertisement