Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veggie Dating

• 02-10-2005 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi folks, whats your views on dating? I personally find if a girl is a big meat eater I go off them pretty quickly.

Do you folks actively seek out veggies, or do you just try the old strategy of trying to convert them?

I own the dating site spark! but I was toying with the idea of doing a veggie dating site for UK & Ireland. Not sure if there would be the demand thou, what do you folks think?

Plan B was to just do a general veggie site with directory, forums, dating etc There is not many good veggie sites out there so this could be interesting.

Let me know your views :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

leftofcentre- your sig is coming dangerously close to advertising, as is this thread.

Pimping yourself is frowned on on Boards.ie. Contributing and having a few links to your business is fine, but Boards does not exist solely to supply you with custom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

I don't see where you are coming from. I am vegetarian myself, and am i just asking would other vegetarians like a site where they could meet other veggies. Its a general query, nothing exists at the moment its only an idea I had.

I do take your point about the sig, I have toned it done.

That's fine. I just don't want this forum to be nothing but market research to you :)

On a practical note, would you not be better off having a OkCupid style of question answering, so people could select a partner who is a vegetarian as mandatory?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Shabadu wrote:
    That's fine. I just don't want this forum to be nothing but market research to you :)
    To be fair to him/her,he/she has contributed well and i don't believe he/she is here for some research from previous posts.My two bit cents/sense.

To be fair to him, he was pushing a line with his sig, which he has since toned down nicely.

To be really fair, if you'd bothered to read my original post properly, you would have glanced at his sig, and seen his name. (Male)

To be fair to you, thank you for telling me he is a good contributer.

• Advertisement

I know Shabadu is only doing his job, the forums need moderation or it would be full of all kinds of mad stuff, I am happy to comply.
    Shabadu wrote:
    On a practical note, would you not be better off having a OkCupid style of question answering, so people could select a partner who is a vegetarian as mandatory?

Well being single myself I am a member of a lot of sites like match, yahoo etc. All have an option to select that your veggie. The problem is that there is not a great amount of veggie people listed. Maybe a veggie only site would be too niche.

Its only an idea at the moment, i might never get around to it but I do think that there is not to many good general websites for us veggies. I had a quick click around the web the other day and there is not much out there.

I would like to do a site that is modern and stylish, to get away from the image that veggies are all hippy sandal wearing lentil eaters.

This would not be a commercial thing, I just like the idea of having a site for the veggie community to get together, and to act as an information point for people thinking of becoming veggies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Shabadu wrote:
    To be really fair, if you'd bothered to read my original post properly, you would have glanced at his sig, and seen his name. (Male)
    I did read your post properly and well I have signatures turned off because boards is slow,so I didn't realise that his name was in his sig and I just used him/her so as not to randomly guess.Sometimes people can get it wrong.
    I know Shabadu is only doing his job
    (:
    Shabadu wrote:
    To be fair to you, thank you for telling me he is a good contributer.
    No problem,my intent was to just let you know that so you wouldn't think he was one of those people that just come here to advertise.

Grand so Tar :)

btw leftofcentre, i'm a girl.

No big deal, most people presume i'm a guy. Tis an internet thing. What with all the dating site talk, and gender confusion, this thread has turned into a bit of a Rom Com.

'would you only consider going out with someone if they were a veggie/open to the idea of becoming one?'

Well I would prefer a veggie but obviously there is not many of us around. My past squeezes have been meat eaters.

Thats why I was thinking of setting up a veggie site. The good thing about the web is that is allows niche groups to get together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I wouldn't care whether or not someone I dated was veggie, as long as they respected my decision to be one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

Gadgie wrote:
    I wouldn't care whether or not someone I dated was veggie, as long as they respected my decision to be one.

Yeah, I agree. Usually it takes people (in work, mates, etc) a while to cop onto me being a veggie. It's just not something that comes up, unless your having food with them.

As long as they arent obnoxious about it and drooling over big steaks to try to annoy you (like my brother! :mad: ), it shouldn't make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

or you could just fall for a veggie... i did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

Awh! Lucky thing, they are few and far between, fella veggies that is.

Ye that's true.It seems like 10:1 ratio..(:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

lol, yeah. even better; he doesnt smoke or drink either. quite a rare find i'm sure!! i admit... i know 3 veggie fellas, and i can honestly say, they're all real sound :)

aw shucks,these people sound really cool (: i sometimes wonder about this third mystery man!
    Do you folks actively seek out veggies, or do you just try the old strategy of trying to convert them?
    I don't seek them out and i never try to convert any of my friends,some have done it on their own-asking me questions but that's it.
    I personally find if a girl is a big meat eater I go off them pretty quickly.
    It doesn't matter to me, she can eat what she wants as long as her personality is good...and if she looks good,that's fine with me too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

Ye that's true.It seems like 10:1 ratio..(:

Oh, that reminds me. This might be better on the thread about why you should be or are a vegetarian, but something occurred to me today, after I popped into Cornucopia for some soup for tea this evening.

For some reason, there seems to be a very high proportion of superhot women among vegetarians, especially in that place. Also, the guys are all weedy who I'm sure I'd definitely be able to take in a fight (not really).

Apologies for my temporary shallowness.

Please continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

... after I popped into Cornucopia for some soup for tea this evening.

For some reason, there seems to be a very high proportion of superhot women among vegetarians, especially in that place.

ehh dunno about that, but I get the impression a lot of French go there for some reason :confused::o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

I'd prefer to go out with someone who was vegetarian, but it's not high on my list of priorities tbh.
    I'd like to be able to cook food that both of us enjoy, instead of always having to cook my food separetly. Also, I think it'd be nice to live in a meat-free house. You wouldn't be concerned about any meat contamination!

How could there be meat contamination?
    It's not on my list of priorities whatsoever,personality and any sort of attraction whatsoever is the complete list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

There's always meat hanging around my house. In the fridge etc. My family aren't always as conscious of keeping meat separate from everything else. My dad sometimes when making soup would throw a chicken stock cube in without thinking. I've to be careful.
    I'd like not to have to think about it.

Oh i see, If worried just always cook for yourself.My roommates all eat meat, I don't see how them having it in the fridge could lead to 'contamination' though but if you want, just put everything of yours on one shelf or keep your food covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Imagine my disappointment when I opened this thread and found out that it was not about amorous situations involving different vegetables. :(

I must sate my turnip fetish elsewhere :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Try and convert them, How would you like if you "meat eating" partner was tring to convert you??

Any way, I'm not a veggie, I'm onmiverous, love meat. My partner is a veggie.

I keep my meat in the freezer, taking it out as necessary.
    I probably do most of the cooking. It helps that I make the most amazing ommmlettes and scrambelled eggs, to the delight of my gf.
    It's not that difficult to cook for a veggie and non-veggie at the same time. We "meat eaters" eat vegatables too. It just takes a little thought, but cooking should take that anyway.

As for contamination. If you are in a relation ship with someone who couldn;t be bother to keep their food seperate to yours, then you prob should dump them not because there a meat eater but because they don;t care enough to make an effort.

Slight off topic, what is the secret to a good omlette? Do you add milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

I do add a bit of milk, but I've tried different amounts and it doesn;t seam to effect the ommlette so while a bit is important it's not really crcial

I think though the key is to beat it really well, getting air in helps it get all fluffy,

don't overdo it too much either, there should be a little bit of egg still liquid, not running, or maybe just a little bit running, it will have stopped running by the time you take it up and serve it anyway. what you really want is a moist layer . a slick if you will of egg around the ommlette by the time you start eating, so you probably need that little bit still running. most people over cook an ommlette

of course ingrediants are important, and are akin to the icing on a cake. Experiment, Add in what ever you want ( except stir fry veg, that one went wayy wrong) Broocilli is suprisingly tasty in an ommelette. but if you want a banker you can;t beat mushrooms and cheese( and ham if your not a veggie)

If you want more ommlette advice pm me though or the Mods might get angry for off topicnicity

Yeah, I agree. Usually it takes people (in work, mates, etc) a while to cop onto me being a veggie. It's just not something that comes up, unless your having food with them.

...which can cause lots of friction...

tbh I'd have to go with leftofcentre on this one, don't particularly like it, but can't help being put off by someone eating a load of chicken or whatever in front of you.. bleagh :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It doesn't bother me if my partner eats meat. My current girlfriend eats meat and when I cook dinner she has no problems eating veggie and actually wants to. Some times I would cook for her I would cook meat for her though. I don't think it makes a difference if I cook meat even though I'm a veggie. Either I cook it or she cooks it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

I really don't care if they are veggie or not, it's not such a big part of my life that it would effect me in that way, and I don't like the thought of trying to convert them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Hmmm... I don't discriminate by weather my girlfriends are veg or not, but it makes me real happy to be around people who don't eat meat, N I really don't like being around people while they are eating meat, so a vegetarian girlfriend is a real pluss! I'm big into conversion, but that's another topic really.

On the subject of the website, option B sounds really cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Slight off topic, what is the secret to a good omlette? Do you add milk?

Right, I sound like a total cookbook bore this evening, but here goes!

I was wondering the same thing myself the other week- I wanted to make a spicy Western omlette but I couldn't remember how to... usually my omlettes start out with great intentions but end up a big sloppy, runny, watery, scrambled mess!

My trusty Delia Smith book said to beat the eggs gently and just add salt and pepper to taste. I did, and it was just all right.

Tried it again this week, and this time I added a splash of cream ... which made the best damn omlette ever! Nice and puffy, nice and airy - really yummy ;)

Right back on topic....

As for veggie dating - it'd be a plus if I was dating a vegetarian as not only would pretty much rule out those drunken trips to Abrakebabra/hot dog stands, but it would also mean I wouldn't have to say "Are you SURE you don't want this BREATH MINT?" before I got my goodnight kiss ;) But it's not the be all and end all; insisting that the "vegetarian" box is ticked would be kind of like insisting that you only date left-handed men, or men who wore size 11 shoes or something.

I used to date only veggies, as the thoughts of kiss a meateater turned my stomach, but then I feel in love with something worse than a meateater, a farmer!The man has no conscience he brings these creatures into the world, nutures them and then slaughters them and laughs all the way to the bank.
    It was a bit of a kick in the teeth but honestly it doesn't bother me, it's his happiness in life, and it makes him the man I love, so I just have to accept it.
    But obviously the kids will be veggies or else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 calam

ha i find this so funny coz i'm a veggie but like when boyfriends love meat! i mean its kind of natural right? i have great respect for those meat lovers. they are usually very passionate and fun, not pasty and dull like me!!!!!

As a woman with a vegetarian fiancé, I'd have to disagree about passion and fun being exclusively meat eating traits. ;)

calam wrote:
    ha i find this so funny coz i'm a veggie but like when boyfriends love meat! i mean its kind of natural right? i have great respect for those meat lovers. they are usually very passionate and fun, not pasty and dull like me!!!!!
    Right... sure!
    I don't think meat eatage or lack thereof is particularly relevant to a passionate personality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement