Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.308win?

Options
  • 02-10-2005 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

I've had my eye on getting a Sprinfield M1A Scout for a while now. Just wondering if anybody else has a similar Firearm? in .308WIN... I love the look of it and it's grown on me. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Mans got taste& money to burn! :D:D
    Dunno if anybody has got one of these here,somone has got a HK SL8 on the board,but as to a M1A or the more "traditional" semi auto rifles,it might fall under the "idontlikedelookodat" Superintendant Garda policy.Depends on your Super,wether he doesnt mind or is a bit of a paranoid niiny on firearms. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

On a recent goat cull, one of the park rangers had an M1, and an ATV, managed to shoot 30-40 goats in an afternoon!!, very nice peice of equipment, there is an article in rifle shooter this issue on the scout.

I would guess that it could be a lot of hassle to get in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FAB24

So far the Super's ok. I have a semi auto at the mo. (Only .22 though).
    I love target shooting and want that extra range. I go to Tullamore now and again with a lad who's a member there (Midland Rifle club). He uses a 6.5X55 Sweedish Mauser.

The Auto is good fo me because of a Broken right wrist (No wise cracks!) It give me terrible trouble with a bolt action after ten rounds or so.

If I do get it. i'll post the details.
    Cheers for the info. :D

P.S. Where was the Goat Cull?

In South Australia, I am a member of a conservation group and we volunteer our services to the national parks and farmers , We generally go for a week as its an 8-10 hour drive to the areas
    we camp or stay in shearers quarters, anything from 12 to 40 hunters and generally have an area of about 400 square Kms for 4 hunters. Last cull we went on we got 450 goats between 12 of us and over the last 10 years the group has culled over 80,000- aswell as foxes, rabbits, pigs, sheep (yes I have shot a sheep) camels, donkeys cats, dogs.
    its having a major impact on the native flora and as a result the fauna so we are getting a lot of good press - they have now started sporting shooters conservation groups in the other states .

There is one other Irish lad - originally from glenbeigh, Kerry hes over 70 and had 3 hip replacements but goes on every cull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Traumadoc wrote:
    hes over 70 and had 3 hip replacements but goes on every cull.
    Woah, you know Jake the Peg!-
    e87o95.jpg
    He must have a hell of a steady stance!

Sorry doc, I couldn't resist :D

Here are the lyrics- http://www.rolfharris.com/music/lyrics_jakethe.htm,
    and more pictures- http://www.rolfharris.com/photos/jake1.htm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FAB24

Oz sounds great. A lot of hard work too!.. If there is booze at the end of the Cull you are sure to have one of us Paddy's there.

It'll be next year if/when I get it. Can't see a problem based on what firearms I've seen. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Thought all those nasty semi autos were nowadays illegal down under???Or you in NZ?

Semi autos are permitted if you have good reason- such a primary producer ( farmer ) or related to work ( national park ranger) there are strict conditions that effectively confine semi autos to the farm on which they are bing used and AFAIK they cannot be moved from those farms unless there are special circumstances. (.22 semi autos and pump action shotguns also)

http://www.ssaa.org.au/newssaa/securitylegislation/lawindexclass.htm

Jake from Glenbeigh - The Aussies call him the tractor - has already worn out the first hip replacement , hence the three hips :D

This is the site for the conservation group the newsletters are good reads

www.hunt-cons.asn.au

this is the sporting shooters site - at the moment they are running a good publicity drive to encourage more shooters into the sport.
    www.ssaa.org.au

Advertisement