Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a new Hard Drive...

• 10-09-2001 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Oky doky, i'm getting a new HD and i just want to make sure i know what to do. I've fitted a fair few HD in work experience back in forth year but that was over 2 years ago now.

I know how to physicly fit the HD and connect it but when i boot the computer up i'm abit unsure want to do.

So after i've fitted my new 40 gig hard drive and i have a boot disk with Fdisk on it standing by, what do i do from there. I'm not sure how to use Fdisk, will i have to format and is there anything else i should do ?

Thanx
    BoB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If your using NT, W2K then don't bother with FDisk. instead partition the disk within the OS as it will do a better job of it.

As for FDisk, just select the second drive and set it up as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

You'll have to format any partition you want to use at some stage (although if you're installing an OS on it, this will more than likely be part of the setup).

If you're just gonna use the new 40gigs for storage, then you've more than likely got Windows on your current drive... use that to format the partitions (right-click on 'em in My Computer) once you have them created with Fdisk.

Also, don't forget that you might need to redetect you IDE settings in the BIOS once you've installed the drive.

HTH,
    -Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭TARE

Thanx for the info lads but i'm still not sure how to use Fdisk. After i type fdisk what do i do from there, it probably very simple i just want to make sure.

It's going to be my Primary drive and i will be using Windows 98.

Thanx again,
    BoB

Fdisk has a pretty simple range of options.

The first thing you'll want to do is switch to the second disk. This should be option number 5.

Then to see the partition configuration for that disk, option number 4.

To set up a primary partition on it, option 1, etc.

It's very straightforward. Just make sure you've changed to your second fixed disk before you start doing anything. There isn't going to be any data on that one anyway, so don't worry if you don't partition it right the first time...

-Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Presumably youve set the master and slave jumper settings on the drives ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Hmm if you are running this disk as your master drive then choose option

?Hmm please excuse errors ok?

1. Create Partition - Option 1 ?
    2. Create Primary partition - Option 1?
    3. Use all disk space - Or hit enter
    4. Once finished exit fdisk & reboot - Choose exit option?
    5. On reboot format partition , or something like this?

/rant
    windows98 has detected you have moved your mouse, you will have to reboot for the new settings to take effect
    [aside]
    "quid proquo"
    [/aside]
    /rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

heya BoB
    When we were doing that work experience we used WIN 95 1st edition... They were messy OSes...

But WIN 98 is capable of doing all the work for u...

just set up the HDD as Primary MASTER adn tehn go into your BIOS and Auto-Detect IDE devices... once u have done that save and exit.... then slap the WIN 98 boot disk in and start your install... the installation program will notice that the drive is UNformated and unpartitioned... it will set it up for u.....
    Usually as One large partition...

If u don't have the WIN 98 start up disk and u still have your old system running. Go into the control panal "Add/remove programs" then "MAKE START UP DISK"....

now u got the boot disk and r ready to rock.... :)

Good Luck BoB
    And have fun in Comp Sci this yr :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

if your installing the drive as a slave make sure the jumpers are correct (this is SOO a common problem).

a: [type] fdisk [return]

if you have five options then your sorted cos the drive has been seen. pick option 4 and delete the current partitions. choose option 1 and pretty much hit return all the way home (dont do this)

reboot and it should be swanky

j

Originally posted by jaarius
    if your installing the drive as a slave make sure the jumpers are correct (this is SOO a common problem).

a: [type] fdisk [return]

if you have five options then your sorted cos the drive has been seen. pick option 4 and delete the current partitions. choose option 1 and pretty much hit return all the way home (dont do this)

reboot and it should be swanky

j

If you're installing the new drive as a slave, you might actually want to consider using the abovementioned Option #5 as otherwise you're going to be performing operations on your first disk...

Also, AFAIR Option #4 just lets you view the current partition configuration...

-Ross

Advertisement