Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strengthening your legs.

Options
  • 02-10-2005 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Whats the best way to improve the strength in your legs? What gear should I be cycling in to improve my overall performance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Cycle - a lot. Up hills. Enter a few races. Go cycling with people faster than you. Go to the gym and do weights if you're inclined. Cycle some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Your best bet is to devise a programme varying uphill and flat sprints and longer endurance cycles which increase in intensity and length as your muscles adapt and strengthen...one of the cycling mags should have more info about the finer details.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it also depends on your age - IIRC younger riders shouldn't use high gears something to do with expanding the heart

don't forget to make sure your seating position is correctly adjusted before you start and remember "no pain, no having to stay off the bike for six weeks till your knee gets better" and if you do damage to something stay off the bike until it's fully healed not until it feels ok. Know people who just wouldn't wait and they destroyed their knees. Check up on exersices off the bike as cyclying muscles arent the same as walking ones so you may need to balance them,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks very much guys. I dont think I'd be interested in intensive exercising, I was just wondering what way I should be cycling on commuting trips, in order to increase my overall efficiency. Ie, how hard should I be making it for myself.
    Check up on exersices off the bike as cyclying muscles arent the same as walking ones so you may need to balance them,

This is one thing I have been wary of. I probably spend more time cycling than I do walking, and when I do walk for any length of time it can feel a bit weird :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Cianos wrote:
    Thanks very much guys. I dont think I'd be interested in intensive exercising, I was just wondering what way I should be cycling on commuting trips, in order to increase my overall efficiency. Ie, how hard should I be making it for myself.

This is one thing I have been wary of. I probably spend more time cycling than I do walking, and when I do walk for any length of time it can feel a bit weird :confused:
    When I'm commuting (on my mtn bike) I try to cycle fast - try to keep the average at or above 15mph. Lights and other slowing keep it down.

I'm lucky in that I can take the train (great for when weather crap). One day a week I get the train most of the way and run the remaining 2miles in. It's amusing on the packed train wearing shorts, while everyone else is wrapped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I cycle about 6 miles a day and Ive just joined a gym and I obviously thought that my legs didnt need any work, Its actually quite the opposite, because of the elliptical nature of cycling, certain muscle's are not used or fully stretched, Ive been put on a routine of weighted squats and weighted lunges, and muscles that I didnt know I had in my legs are coming to life, its pretty rough at the start, but Ive noticed a HUGE increase in power in my legs. also if you do go to the gym stay away from the bikes, instead use a step machine or just use a treadmill.

Good luck.

Advertisement