Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlevania

Options
  • 02-10-2005 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I just recently got Castlevania : symphony of the night for the PSX. It's really good - a bit like metroid. Anyway what other games in the Castlevania series are good? I've never really gotten into Castlevania before but I really like this one, I was thinking of getting one of the GBA games. Anyway if you haven't played it before try out symphony of the night!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a new DS one out like yesterday if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I hadn't realised it was out yet, thanks! I might just get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

A bit like metroid .... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Tusky wrote:
    eggsplain youself young Tuskers...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ddint know sotn was the 2d one. I suppose I see the similarities now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Did any irish retail outlets get Castlevania DS in at all? I looked everywhere on Saturday and didnt find jack, same with Advance Wars DS.

Seems psp has relegated ds to a 1' by 1' shelf in the staff toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's about 5 copies in Game in Tallaght :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

well GAME dawson st got in about 40 advance wars and were sold out by friday afternoon. only got in four copies of castlevania though. unfortunate as it is an amazing game that more people need to play

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tusky wrote:
    Huh? Of course its like metroid. Exact same format, Tusky. Explore a part of a map, beat a boss, get a powerup that will let you access another part of the map. Knife/whip instead of blaster, castle setting instead of space, but its the same format.

Don't be so elitist. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Castlevania DS is fantastic. Was late this morning because I was playing it in bed until 2 in the morning :)

All the castlevania games are fantastic except for the N64 games. Castlevania 1 and Castlevania 2: Simon Quest are a bit dated but from 3 onwards there is nothing but classics. The Castlevania games didn't have the Metroid type gameplay until Symphony of the night but were some of the best 2D platform games available. Probably the best in the series is Rondo of Blood for the PC Engine console. It's a prequel to Symphony of the Night. It's expensive but very easy to find on sites of questionable legality. The GBA castlevania games are all fantastic but are hard to find in Europe due to Konami Europe always under supplying Castlevania games. They should be pretty easy to find on ebay.

BTW there is a Saturn version of Symphony of the Night that is better than the PS1 version. It has an expanded map a a new playable character along with the secret one in the PS1 original. The only problem is that the transpaency effects of the saturn are horrible and there is a little bit more slow down.

Another thing is to read a walkthrough after you finish the game
    There is a second castle to explore and you get the proper ending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Tusky wrote:
    Ddint know sotn was the 2d one. I suppose I see the similarities now :)

The similarities between the Castlevania and Metroid games have long been talked about, especially after the Castlevania series took the map system straight out of Super Metroid. They're both exploration action platformers that involve unlocking new abilities to reach new locations and they're both very good :)

On the GBA, I'd recommend Circle of the Moon by Konami's now defunct Kyoto division. It was criticised for being too dark to see on the original GBA screen, but that's not important if you're playing it on an SP or DS. The fans of the series seem to prefer the later two GBA games, which are by the same guy as symphony of the night (Iga's actually removed CotM from the series timeline), but having played a bit of harmony of dissonance, I think its graphics, sounds, combat system and overall atmosphere aren't as good as CotM.

Returning to the above discussion about Castlevania and Metroid, if you're looking for a decent Castlevania game for the GBA, you could of course get Metroid Fusion or Zero Mission :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found Harmony of dissonance too easy. Aria of Sorrow is guilty of the same sin but was a better game. Circle of the Moon on the other hand was bastard hard. I still have nightmares about the 2 headed dragon boss. Great game though. The new DS castlevania is a little bit harder than the last 2 GBA games but seems to be getting a little bit easier now that I have got some really useful souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i had circle of the moon and tbh i thuoght it was terrible. i just couldnt get into it. this one is great thuogh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Perhaps the Gamecube Metroid games point the direction future Castlevania titles should be going in, particularly in 3D, the organic enviroments, the emphasis on platforming and exploration, the feeling of wholeness to the large structures you explore in the modern Metroid games, not just eploring a bunch of prettily textured boxes linked together. The use of newly found powers to unlock further features of the game world, could be just the ticket and a way to distance themselves from the Devil My Cry style of game it is currently in on the PS2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I found Harmony of dissonance too easy. Aria of Sorrow is guilty of the same sin but was a better game. Circle of the Moon on the other hand was bastard hard. I still have nightmares about the 2 headed dragon boss. Great game though. The new DS castlevania is a little bit harder than the last 2 GBA games but seems to be getting a little bit easier now that I have got some really useful souls.
    Aria of Sorrow was annoyingly easy, and short. I felt cheated.

Circle of The Moon was just brilliant. Perfect level of difficulty in my opinion.
    "Oh God! I'm so dead. I'm actually about to die. It's incredible how almost dead I am, I really couldn't be more almost dead! Oh, please let me kill this Wind Armour quickly!.... Yes!.... Okay, still almost dead though. Oh thank God! A door! Please be a save room, please be a save room, please be a sa...... Score! In your fayce..... game! Who's ya daddy!? Who's ya daddy!?

I've completed it on every mode but the last and that's only cos' I need to become a bit stronger (and that I haven't played the game in more than a year).

Good to know that the new Castlevania is harder than Aria. Very good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Oh God! I'm so dead. I'm actually about to die. It's incredible how almost dead I am, I really couldn't be more almost dead! Oh, please let me kill this Wind Armour quickly!.... Yes!.... Okay, still almost dead though. Oh thank God! A door! Please be a save room, please be a save room, please be a sa...... Score! In your fayce..... game! Who's ya daddy!? Who's ya daddy!?
    Spot on :)

Advertisement