Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Games company releases in-dev screenshots of 2 New games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Looks pretty cool, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I've seen FAR worse. That's not to say its not good.. err that came out wrong.

Looks good, demo?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Any more info?

Target release date?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

defo worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 starfire2

I will post more info in about 2 weeks time (we are showing off our games and the LAN gaming at the Indie Games Conference in OR, USA at the end of this week). After that i expect (tho its not 100% certain yet of when the date will be) that Illumina will go on release as a closed beta. Terra on the other hand won't be in beta until the end of the year or early next year.

Illumina uses the Torque Game Engine while Terra uses the Torque Shader Engine (which is not complete yet) which is technology a few years old and the licence of these engines are affordable for a startup.
    But we did recently get our hands on an engine that rivals Unreal 3 (its 2nd best to it pretty much) engine, Reality Engine. This will allow us to develop (which we are starting) our "AAA" title for Xbox 360 & PC.
    Don't expect any release dates on that title til early 2007 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

good stuff, its good to know games are being developed locally. You probably cant say but does it really cost millions to make a console game these days? and is development for the next-gen consoles going to cost that much more?

silverlining: Yes & Yes
    It costs alot as you mentioned which are norm for the last 5 years and the next gen costs have gone through the roof on an amazing scale with many developers closing their studios or being brought out over it.
    We are doing things slightly different to others regarding development cycles, budgets, teams, designs, etc. Very competitive industry & harder cause we are located in Ireland with limited support, however we are marching on pretty decent so far on a smaller scale.

thanks for the reply, it sounds like you've got a lot of work on your hands but I liked the character models, really professional, I guess more and more game developers will be focussing on one particular aspect of the process rather than doing everything themselves. I have another question, seeing as EA (I think) are bringing out a Gaelic football game shortly by modifying an australian rules game, have you ever considered 'doing' or assisting the development of a hurling or football game?

Middleware.

The link will give you our new posters, do check them out ;)

http://www.gamedevelopers.ie/forums/viewtopic.php?p=18815#18815

Hope ye like them, feedback always welcome.

• Advertisement

starfire2 wrote:
    The link will give you our new posters, do check them out ;)

http://www.gamedevelopers.ie/forums/viewtopic.php?p=18815#18815

Hope ye like them, feedback always welcome.
    yes very nice (particularily the Terra one) but they'd be even better with hurleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

lol

They are both nice, but I'd say the Terra one is better.

Any connection between starfire and Cavenet? I remember hearing something about game developers in connection with it, but I forget the context.

SycPax: yes i was involved with Cavenet & thats the connection (apart during July when we had our Interns all working in there for the month since there was about 15 of them and we needed alot of spare comps)

There are only 2/3 PC - Consoles developers in the whole country, one of them are here in Galway. StarCave.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

TERRA poster is class, I think a bit more variation in the ILLUMINA poster would look better if you are using a few models.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Get Kelly Brook over here! (And do the shoot in Galway)

Yes. Ms. Brook is a nice girl.

Thanks for the feedback & to celebrate the released news of our summer Internship program (5 Interns are now full time and they successfully completed a little 3d action puzzle game during the program), here is the link to download the day in the life video of StarCave when we held our official launch back in August in the Eye Cinema.

http://www.starcave.com/SCSlaunch/CG_Launch_V04_Xvid.avi

StarCave recently has become Ireland's leading PC & Console content games developers & before the end of the year we will release tease screenshots of our "AAA" Xbox 360 action game.

For anyone interested to hearing how the Internship program went, check out the following link.

http://www.gamedevelopers.ie/news/viewnews.php?article=231

Let us know what you think, your feedback is always good to see from a local level.

Keith
    CEO - Producer

Star Cave Studios - Ireland

Advertisement