Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got NTL Digital yet?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gibbo

I called NTL last night and they said an engineer would be with me within 2 weeks, I live in the City - Dublin 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Sigh - I rang them last week; they told me I could be waiting for ages - no idea how long; I also live in Dublin 1. (Mountjoy Square) This of course was totally at variance with what they told me when it was first launched! (advertised) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Huh. Called them again today. Told to call back again in two weeks. My areas not "DTV enabled" yet. I can see their office from my kitchen window!

Ever feel like you're getting the runaround?

K

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Originally posted by Ayashii

If you look at their press releases and also their submissions to the ODTR they guaranteed that by end of Sept 2001 after Ms Doyle granted a 6 month extension (they still have 5 days to pull it off) they would be supplying digital TV to the following Dublin areas:

Leixlip Finglas Tallaght
    Ballyfermot Castleknock St. Helen's
    Clondalkin Clonsilla Santry
    Lucan Navan Road Coolock
    Baldoyle City Centre

and to top it off the entire Waterford and Galway licensed areas!

Those installers (who are charging 25 quid by all account) will be busy....

I live in the Clonsilla area and when I rang to enquire I was told that the service is not available in my area yet !!

5 Days to go !!!

What can do we do ? - complain to the ODTR / ASAI like the guys on Ireland Offline are going to do with regard to Eircom's i-stream ?

Any other suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by gibbo
    I called NTL last night and they said an engineer would be with me within 2 weeks, I live in the City - Dublin 1.

I live in Dublin 1 and was originally told that I would be connected within weeks. Phoned last week to be told that I could be as long as the end of next year. Does anyone know what is going on? Has anyone in Dublin 1 or 2 actually been connected?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ayashii

This is funny.... found this on the net from an English website dated July this year. Just substitute Dublin for Norwich below:

"TELECOMMUNICATIONS giants NTL like to portray themselves at the cutting edge of the digital age with an advertising boast of “Where technology is tamed”.

But for some disgruntled subscribers to their digital TV service in Norwich, their name stands for something altogether different — Nothing, Try Later.
    Consumer Watch has been contacted by several NTL customers who are still wondering when the interactive TV service they signed up expecting is likely to be “tamed” enough to actually arrive on their screens.

The NTL package offers a digital phone service, internet access and a host of TV channels together with the cutting edge interactive service, which allows viewers to choose different options and cameras angles.

However, the interactive service has yet to arrive in Norwich despite promises it would be available first in March then, when it failed to appear, in May.

NTL is now refusing to say when the service will finally appear despite an increase in the subscription fee. "

Subscription fee increase and no show on the product being advertised..... sounds familiar! Looks like our good friends at NTL are trying the same trick at our expense. Suppose you have to service a 10 billion pound debt somehow
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

charles ... friends ok, but don't adopt such a funny tone with me in future - right!:p

to quote you mountjoy mugger .. if you don't mind ...
    "Out of curiousity, is anyone aware of anybody who has got NTL digital with cable modem access outside the Tallaght area which has had c/m access for quite a while now?"

I may be taking this wrong way and forgive me if i am .... but the digital box does have the ability to act as a cable modem, not yet anyway.
    As for cable modem outside the tallaght area, not really, as far as i am aware it would only be the areas of tallaght that it would be available in. :mad:

Spanner head - if i was you i would definetly be signing up for cable modem esp with the crazy prices are eircom are mentioning for there! ntl have a good deal - sadly i am not in the tallaght area and can't avail of the cable modem deal - but a friend of mine in the uk has had cable modem installed for over 1yr &half and he said he would never look back. loves it. :cool:

infomat - as far as i am aware dublin city centre should be ok. well wasn't that on the odtr site that us in the centre could get digital - have to say i never rang ntl to find out if i could get it installed. things to do list tomorrow. ring ntl and find out.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Ayashii
    Subscription fee increase and no show on the product being advertised..... sounds familiar! Looks like our good friends at NTL are trying the same trick at our expense. Suppose you have to service a 10 billion pound debt somehow
    :rolleyes:
    Yup. They promised the earth to get the franchise. Paid over the odds using freely available finance in 1999 to purchase cablelink. Further borrowed to purchase C&W franchise in UK. Now they are up to their eyes in debt and are not fullfilling their promises here. Instead they are giving us a limited one-way digital package of 35 channels. The set-top boxes have cablemodems but NTL have no plans to use them.

Now they want a price increase above what they would get under the existing price mechanism.

The annoying thing about this is there is nothing the consumer can do except take it or leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

As far as I'm concerned NTL suck. I have the MMDS system and if you think the cute little SKY Minidish is ugly you should see the big monstrosity on top of my house supplied by NTL. I have the MMDS service because it is the only one available to me from NTL. I live in the D15 area. Except for RTE1/2, TV3 and TG4 the picture quality is not very good and I do not even get a Nicam reception on UTV. As I have a dish and a decoder it should have been relatively easy to upgrade the MMDS system to digital but no chance. Like others my phone calls to NTL resulted in conflicting information, in fact I have given up ringing. As soon as I can afford it I'm going Sky. There is no point in having a cheaper system if its sub-standard.

Advertisement