Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pigsback.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭thebiglad

glanman wrote: »
    I remember before they raised the price and then for some reason lowered it again and repaid the difference... maybe that might happen for anyone who does order

For a marketing research company they are pretty crap at knowing what their members want and feel like...

But I think last time wasn't it 2,300 points or something like that level?

I know their argument this time was that they were trying to negotiate a price with their supplier - well if they have to charge €30 for a €20 voucher then they need to negotiate a fair bit harder.

Perhaps this is the thin end of the wedge and they expect demand to tail off following which they will drop phone vouchers altogether.

Don't like being tied to one supplier when trying to search for travel - will just waste up my remaining credit for 2 phone vouchers and close the account.

Pity points aren't transferable, I am sure there will be plenty of residual points around when/if people throw the towel in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I just got an email there informing me that the €20 call credit reward now costs 3000 PiggyPoints.

I had 2100 points and was looking at getting a CD or something to get the extra 100 points for a top up but they can fúck off now! :mad:

The site has been on the slide for years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Raekwon wrote: »
    I just got an email there informing me that the €20 call credit reward now costs 3000 PiggyPoints.

I had 2100 points and was looking at getting a CD or something to get the extra 100 points for a top up but they can fúck off now! :mad:

The site has been on the slide for years anyway.

Is this the one, which tells you how wonderful they are?

"Over the last year we have broadened our catalogue notably with about 40 popular CDs at any given time and about 10 popular books too. These new rewards are proving to be very attractive to many members and we are negotiating with other new partners who we expect to bring on in the coming months in the areas of beauty products, gadgets and film.
    We hope you will understand that we must buy our rewards at an acceptable discount to be able to issue and administer PiggyPoints as we do.
    In this regard, our most sensitive issue has been call credit where we have not been able to sustain acceptable supplier terms. As a result, we have been in and out of stock in the course of negotiations with our suppliers and unfortunately, we have no option but to put the PiggyPoints price on site up from today. A €20 call credit reward now costs 3000 PiggyPoints.
    We regret this action but at least by doing this we can sustain call credit as a reward item.
    We hope that you understand and will continue to earn and spend PiggyPoints. We are working hard so that you will find attractive alternatives in the new ranges of rewards we have brought to the site and that we will be bringing to it.

Kind Regards

Curly and the team"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

I think this thread should be removed from Bargains Alert as well as sticky... They aint no bargains any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Wow €20 credit for 3000 points...that is mad!
    Just looking at their rewards page now - they have a 265mb usb key for 900 points.
    How can they justify that? And as well, it should be 256mb :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,783 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A €20 call credit reward now costs 3000 PiggyPoints :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭jc77

I heard an ad on TodayFM for them this afternoon. They're trying to get in new members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

That increase is crazy. It's bad enough that they got rid of the €10 credit, without doing this. There is no way I'm spending 3000 piggypoints in €20 credit. They have barely anything good anymore. I can't believe they had the cheek to start of that email by telling us about all the wonderful CD's they added, which are also cost too many piggypoints compared to their actual worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jc77 wrote: »
    I heard an ad on TodayFM for them this afternoon. They're trying to get in new members.

Probably trying to replace the ones who've taken a hike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

They don't have anywhere near 40 cd's to coose from:confused: Should that email have read 20?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Time to have this thread moved to Rip-Off Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Time to have this thread moved to Rip-Off Ireland

Amen to that. Like others have said, this is the final straw( or perhaps the straw that broke the Pigsback :) ), I remember when a €10 top up cost 1000pts and a €20 cost 2000pts, they were on a slippery slope when they added a 'handling charge', now they've gone too far. Will just use up the points I have and close out my account, as the top-ups were the last remaining reward of any interest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Duffys circus tickets for 250 points, bargain!!

My first time clicking onto their site was because of Today FM 10 mins ago.. Glad I checked this thread before joining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

sunnyside wrote: »
    They don't have anywhere near 40 cd's to coose from:confused: Should that email have read 20?

Theres a second page of CD's if you look at the bottom.

Another thing that annoys me, apart from the rip off credit is that they dont do 3 credit . . .and there are quite a few 3 customers.

I will stay using the site, as I have gotten a lot of CDs off it. Themain problem with them is that the CDs take up to 4 weeks for delivery, as they send them from singapore. And maybe its meant to be ironic, but on the label of the envelope when you get the CD in the post, it gives the value for customs , usually around €7 or €8 . . .and it costs 1500 piggypoints!!!:eek:

Basically what theyve done is completely devalue the piggypoint!!! Their way of getting around the recession . . .

Basically what theyve done is completely devalue the piggypoint!!! Their way of getting around the recession . . .

They've gone away from 10 piggypoints = 10 cent in the past year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Has anyone ordered Roomex Vouchers recently? I've just requested one and wonder if theres a delay like the phone credit or will it be delivered in the advised time
    Electronic rewards are delivered to your 'Collect Rewards' page within three days of ordering. An email is sent to you once the code is ready for collection along with a link to 'Collect Rewards'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JohnWhale

I got the same email during the week. 3000 points for €20 credit. Shocked and disgusted with them!

I'm with the rest of you. I'm gonna use up my last 1000 points or so and close the account. They can get lost!

We should all boycott Pigsback until they sort this out!

My brother has a Pigsback Credit Card and with the new price of credit he will now have to spend €6000 to earn €20 of credit! What a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Things have gone pretty bad but I wouldn't go so far as to say I was "shocked" or "disgusted".

They try to negotiate deals for members and I wouldn't be too surprised if the companies are tightening up themselves - which'd leave pigsback in a difficult spot. I've nothing to do with pigsback btw and since H&H has closed down there is literally nothing left that I want to spend by points on - I'm just saying I don't think they're trying to pull a fast one on the members.

• Advertisement

if you delete your account, you canrt start a new one from the same email address, i did it before . . .so instead i mmade a new email addres . . .i actually have 4 accounts on pigsback, so its 4 times the amount . . .but they're not transferable!!!

if you delete your account, you canrt start a new one from the same email address, i did it before . . .so instead i mmade a new email addres . . .i actually have 4 accounts on pigsback, so its 4 times the amount . . .but they're not transferable!!!
    They are known to delete multiple accounts from one user, so mind yourself with that, especially if you have a lot of points on a few of the accounts, as you will not get the points back. They check IP addresses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,783 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

At end of day its a free even if they do take too many piggypoints ;)

I did this when I was in uni. I had a spreadsheet containing log-in details for loads of accounts I had - 1 per computer. I would log into each account occasionally & click on ads, do surveys, etc. At one stage, I had 15 accounts, each with a unique IP.

Kept me in 'free' credit for ages. Credit is the only thing I've ever taken from pigsback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

I did this when I was in uni. I had a spreadsheet containing log-in details for loads of accounts I had - 1 per computer. I would log into each account occasionally & click on ads, do surveys, etc. At one stage, I had 15 accounts, each with a unique IP.

That doesn't give you a unique ip on the internet, just on the internal network.

I hadn't noticed the devaluation of the piggypoint, I've stowed away alot of points since I switched to billpay, so hoping to get the gorillaz album next week if it gets into their chart.
    Is their chart linked with the Irish album chart or do they just make it up out of thin air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

steve 0 wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered Roomex Vouchers recently? I've just requested one and wonder if theres a delay like the phone credit or will it be delivered in the advised time

i ordered one last week, for the first time, and it came through in about 48 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JohnWhale

Things have gone pretty bad but I wouldn't go so far as to say I was "shocked" or "disgusted".

They try to negotiate deals for members and I wouldn't be too surprised if the companies are tightening up themselves - which'd leave pigsback in a difficult spot. I've nothing to do with pigsback btw and since H&H has closed down there is literally nothing left that I want to spend by points on - I'm just saying I don't think they're trying to pull a fast one on the members.

At the end of the day they can negotiate deals as much as they want. I would imagine they are still getting the same payment for when I get my 10 points for clicking on their ads. But rather than continue to offer the same reward to their members, they have devalued the piggy points to maximise their profits. The 20 euro credit still costs 20 euro but they are charging 30 euro for it.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that its the only thing people get off the website. I imagine it must be 90% of the rewards requested.

So when your revenues are low, screw your customers with a 50% increase in what you charge for the most popular product!!!!!! Thats what they're doing! If any other company did that they'd be left with no customers.

I know it still costs nothing and you'll probably say that 150% of free is still free, but its bloody annoying!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, maybe you're right. I think Tesco did that with their card too though if I'm not mistaken (changed from a point per euro to a point per 2 euro). Either way, they should notify their members of the changes.

edit- actually Tesco changed it to 3 points per 2 euro spent: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=100102 looks like the Tesco credit card is the way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

JohnWhale wrote: »
    At the end of the day they can negotiate deals as much as they want. I would imagine they are still getting the same payment for when I get my 10 points for clicking on their ads. But rather than continue to offer the same reward to their members, they have devalued the piggy points to maximise their profits. The 20 euro credit still costs 20 euro but they are charging 30 euro for it.

You would be wrong. There has been a collapse in Internet advertising revenues since the recession started. They are probably earning much less now for the points they are awarding you, and are finding far fewer companies willing to advertise in the first place. I imagine any margins they may have had on reselling credit have also been slashed.

• Advertisement

ectoraige wrote: »
    You would be wrong. There has been a collapse in Internet advertising revenues since the recession started. They are probably earning much less now for the points they are awarding you, and are finding far fewer companies willing to advertise in the first place. I imagine any margins they may have had on reselling credit have also been slashed.

That is for ads on webpages, eg when you go onto RTE.ie and there is an ad for some broadband company etc... also that article is nearly a year old and US.

Pigsback is a site where people go to look at the ads and deals, not news content.

I do know that pigsback have a lot of debts and as far as I know the UK expansion hasn't worked out for them and is draining them, but they have good revenue streams in Ireland with a lot of household blue chip brands on board.

Nollog wrote: »
    That doesn't give you a unique ip on the internet, just on the internal network.

I hadn't noticed the devaluation of the piggypoint, I've stowed away alot of points since I switched to billpay, so hoping to get the gorillaz album next week if it gets into their chart.
    Is their chart linked with the Irish album chart or do they just make it up out of thin air?

They pull them from thin air, usually several weeks/months after they are first released . . . .you could be waiting a while for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just got over 3000 points so got the credit and said my goodbyes to pigsback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

They pull them from thin air, usually several weeks/months after they are first released . . . .you could be waiting a while for that.

Baw, well thanks for the heads up.
    Have some disposable income this month anyway, and it's not like cds cot the earth anymore. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭south

Gambled a thousand points on the Oscars jackpot and won only forty points. the site is just a waste of time now so will be deleting my account now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

south wrote: »
    Gambled a thousand points on the Oscars jackpot and won only forty points. the site is just a waste of time now so will be deleting my account now .

Obviously you didn't gamble very well? Did you bet in one particular category or several? Did you get them right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭south

christo82 wrote: »
    Obviously you didn't gamble very well? Did you bet in one particular category or several? Did you get them right?

i bet a thousand on one particular category that won.

Can't really blame them for that; it's a jackpot. If nearly everyone else picked the same result yous wnt have many points do divide between the winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I bet 50 points on best picture and got nothing even though my choice won :confused:

south wrote: »
    Gambled a thousand points on the Oscars jackpot and won only forty points.

I was told that the jackpots were a waste of time ages ago (on this thread) - I too had a crap return on a wager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

I'm sick of them with their ever decreasing cc benefits and going to cancel my one with them and use a Tesco one instead. Just haven't gotten around to it yet because it'll mean changing all the monthly stuff that comes out of my cc too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

steve 0 wrote: »
    sam34 wrote: »
    i ordered one last week, for the first time, and it came through in about 48 hours
    Thanks, I can confirm the same. Happy days.

ordered a CD at the start of dec, it never came. I complained at the end of january, got my points refunded, re ordered it and six weeks later, still no sign. site says delivery within 4 weeks.:confused::confused::confused::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭valc

Spa Ireland vouchers also "out of stock" now.

Points refunded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭davehey79

i see CD's are now removed completely from the site got my points refunded for the CD i ordered about 2 weeks ago went to order different Cd and nada nothing not a trace of them on the rewards section :(

no cd's, phone credit ridiculously overpriced, Hughes and hughes gone . . .I'm giving up on this site!!!

There's too much moaning going on in this thread. However I went on my weekly visit today and there was only half the amount of points. One ad only carried 5 points! Things must be bad.

Can we move away from "Pigsback is rubbish" posts and post good points offers, although I doubt there are any these days :D

But they are causing us to moan and groan...

I took out travel insurance through AIB, finally got credited points today, 600... thought that was a bit odd as I had contacted them a few times as it was late and showed them the terms, low and behold:

"Offer of 700 PiggyPoints open to Pigsback.com members only, who purchase an AIB Travel Insurance policy online on aib.ie or through their profile as a registered user of AIB Internet Banking."

They are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I made a purchase recently that gives points per € spent and they credited me the same points 3 times so nearly 1000 points extra :D only if there was something worth to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭thebiglad

nava wrote: »
    I made a purchase recently that gives points per € spent and they credited me the same points 3 times so nearly 1000 points extra :D only if there was something worth to get.

Me too with airport parking - sure its only a matter of time before they realise and reverse all the entries though.

And they will find out & take the points off!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement