Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a phone as an xmas gift

• 02-10-2005 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on getting my girlfriend a new phone for xmas, but before i get into that here's the background: Shes studying in the states at the moment and will be home for xmas for 2 weeks, then moving back to live here in may when she graduates.

She has a phone in the states so having the one i get her here work over there is not that important, but it would be nice if it did.

So i'm thinking if i get her an unlocked triband for xmas can i be sure her american sim will work with it? My plan is to get her a speakeasy pack or similar then get it unlocked. shes not really into phones, but would like a flip top type, so my last question would be what flip top phone would you guys recommend with the following features that doesnt cost a packet?
    • camera
    • MMS
    • triband
    • bluetooth

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

blahblah06 wrote:

That phone is to big. Didnt like it when I had it. Mind you it does have some nice apps (if you would ever use them!)

Go for the SOny Eircsson K750i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

he asked 4 flip.samsung e720 or e730

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I personally would just buy her the phone in May and get her something else in Xmas. May is still ages away in phone terms. But nih, that's just me...

Anyway phone that suits what you want now:
    Sharp GX 25,
    Samsung Z140v, Z500v
    Sony Ericsson V800.
    All I can think of right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

If I were in your shoes I would get her the quad band Motorola V 3.

It looks cool and will work on 850/1900 frequencies in the US. It is a flip phone and it looks cool, and has all the features you want and more...

You can pick one up here on boards for a reasonable price in the FS Mobiles thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

id personally go with the nokia 6101 they're quite small and can be bought on o2 or meteor for around €199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

oh and nokias are very easy to unlock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

id personally go with the nokia 6101 they're quite small and can be bought on o2 or meteor for around €199
    Yes but they don't have bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Thanks for all the advice, i've a bit of reading up to do now, I'm now considering a nokia as i can unlock it myself, i actually met a friend with a V3, and while i only got a quick look, it impressed me (esp the progress bar during bluetooth exchange) so i'll be looking into that too. I may just forego the flip option and get her something like a 6230i which i have myself and quite like.

Advertisement