Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tall strikers, Donkeys or Geniuses?

• 02-10-2005 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Watching Crouch today and now Ibrahamivich and pondering are big tall strikers just plain old donkeys or skillful brazilians trapped in a huge body :)

Drogba bit of skill today but fell over a lot, Niall Quinn still falls over but sometimes subline volleying skills, Crouch heh , Ibram , Koller, Gilzean, Glynn the list goes on. At times i wonder how they are pro footballers and other times i wonder if they "meant " it.

kdjac

Do they "mean" it or are they just licky by sheer attempts? 15 votes

Skillful brazilians in huge body.
    0% 0 votes
    Something to aim for with a long "pass".
    0% 0 votes
    Donkeys of the highest order who are just bloody jammy.
    60% 9 votes
    Every team should have one.
    40% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the only donkey is Drogba
    what did he cost again over 20 million :confused:
    thats chelsea for ya over spending as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

It depends, ye cant just generalise.
    Some of the best strikers have been tall, Ibrahomvic(spelling?), Gentle Jim(think this was his name, played for Leeds and Juve during the 50's, died last year)
    So I dont think ye can do a poll on it.
    It'd be like me doing a poll on small players, wasters or skill merchants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

They can have their moments and uses, but mostly donkeys.

Zlatan is a notable exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

On todays evidence what does that make Crouch then? pure bred I will take any donkey that sets up 4 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

the only donkey is Drogba
    what did he cost again over 20 million
    thats chelsea for ya over spending as usual

Twenty million and he plays a vital role for Chelsea. He's a huge part of their gameplan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Stick Drogba in that Liverpool team and he wouldnt be setting up 4 goals... Alternatively, stick Crouch on that Chelsea team and have the likes of Robin, Duff and Lampard coming into the play and see how many goals he sets up..

Liverpool do not have any out and out wingers so there is no one to cross the ball to Crouch.. That removes one of his greatest strengths.. He is currently restricted to winging long balls, holding off 1 or 2 defenders and trying to lay it onto 1 good and 2 mediocre attacking midfielders..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Like most things it depends on the individual tbh.

Class
    =======
    Ibrahimovic
    Koller
    Crouch

Donkey
    ===========
    Kevin Francis
    Carsten Jancker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Zlatan really is one of the best at the moment, my favourite player to watch!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Roddy23 wrote:
    Gentle Jim(think this was his name, played for Leeds and Juve during the 50's, died last year)

John Charles

Of course one name not mentioned is the legendary Lee Chapman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Crouch is a decent player......the problem is all the clowns he actually has playing beside him....as pointed out numerous times yesterday crouch knocked the ball down and no 'Pool player in the same half.......Liverpool are sh*t.....said it before the season when everyone was going on about great they where and still sayign it.....

Was good on Today FM on Sat how they where talking about how good Liverpool would be if they had sold Gerrard.....thats what f**ked up the seasons buying for Bene!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Crouch is muck, doesn't look like scoring anytime soon, the new Heskey if ever I saw it................

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

zaph wrote:
    Of course one name not mentioned is the legendary Lee Chapman!

LOL yeah a class act he was!

I dont think you can generalise. You can have a very good and effective tall player in Ibrahimovich and then have a completely useless player like Gary Doherty. It totally depends on the player involved. As was said Crouch is a good player but the players around him are mediocre and dont help him play to his strengths. I think teams do need a good physical striker up there capable of winning headers and holding the ball up. Thats where Arsenals problem lies if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

After watching/enduring Niall Quinn for many years i would say they are all donkeys "Crouch included" aside from the odd gem "not Crouch".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's a radical idea I know, but tall strikers are tall strikers, and whether they are a donkey or a genius depends entirely on the player.

Small strikers - midgets or geniuses?

Advertisement