Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Special Topic

Options
  • 02-10-2005 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Anyone decided theirs yet? I actually dont have a clue, everytime I think of one I just go "nah thats crap"! Im a big self-doubter!
    On another history/geog note, the lack of sample papers is a bit of a pain :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Pyschopath666

I'm doing mine on the Land Wars in my local...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm the exact same, every few days I think I have a flash of inspiration and find something I definitely want to do, then a few days later I've gone off it. At the moment I was to do it on Stephen Ambrose, but I'm sure that will change in a few days. There was a big thread on it a few weeks ago, I'll try and find it

Edit: Here you go, http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291372

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

you should do d-day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

slightly big apecial topic to cover, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Jesus, in a way I'm glad I finished before the new course came in, I didn't do a special topic and got on grand without it but it does seem easier when it comes to the actual exam.

Here's a topic I thought about doing but never got around to - the history or some aspect of the history of An GArda Siochana. That has rarely been done if ever and I was encouraged to do it by my teacher so it must have some relevance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

GDM wrote:
    Jesus, in a way I'm glad I finished before the new course came in, I didn't do a special topic and got on grand without it but it does seem easier when it comes to the actual exam.

Here's a topic I thought about doing but never got around to - the history or some aspect of the history of An GArda Siochana. That has rarely been done if ever and I was encouraged to do it by my teacher so it must have some relevance.

Interesting....will look into something like that...its a good idea

i did mine on sean macDiarmada!it really easy to prove that he and tom clarke were real leaders of the rising!got an a1 too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

What do you think guys NO ONE COPY ME PLEASE!!

The death of John F Kennedy?! I'm going to tell my teacher tomorow! Better late than never! Hopefully I'll finish it during Xmas! Good Luck all!

Heh, well I left history two weeks ago and joined Technical Drawing. Much happier with TD.

The death of JFK could be good, but I presume with that you wouldn't get away with giving an account of what happened, you might want to explore the various versions of what happened and draw your own conclusions.

There was an excellent programme on the shooting about a year ago on BBC. It pretty much destroyed all the conspiracies. I'd definitely try and get my hands on it if I were you, and also there's tons of literature on the event, so sources will be no problem. It would be great if you could find newspapers announcing the death or something, see how the public reacted

Aww you left history good on you!! I am such a twat I picked up Accounting for a day and then left because having eight subjects was just too much for my timetable! I wish I could drop history bit to late now! grr! I was so excited about my special topic! I was going to explore the theories etc...! Stupid History teacher said too many people would do that! I'm really annoyed! I was passionate about that! Now I get to do the Suffragetes WOOHOOO! not!!

• Advertisement

Tell him to **** off, it doesn't matter how many people are doing it, if yours is good enough it will stand above the others and you'll still do well, regardless of how many people picked the same topic. The Suffragetes sounds quite boring tbh, if you really want to do JFK go to your teacher and state your case, explain how you plan to make it an A1 level topic, what view you're going to take and how you'll go about it.

If you answer all the grievances he has about it he can't really stop you from doing it, know what I mean?

And also, you think 8 subjects is bad? I was doing 9 until 2 weeks ago, and I'm stil stuck with 8! Stupid UCD and the science requirement for architecture!

:eek: u were doing 9!! How are ya going to manage with even 8! :eek: Im findin 7 hard! lol! Good luck! I don't know about the special topic i'll ask him tomorrow or I might do Rosa Parks she died this week and she was amazin! I would love to just do my special topic on the whole bus incident like go into in depht detail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

Does anyone on here do Early Modern History? from 1450-1650? It's a right pain in the ass at the moment and I'm really kind of alone in terms of ideas for special topics and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

I'm doing Henry Kissinger's involvement in the Vietnam war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

I did mine on Muhatma Ghandi, but then I dropped history, so he's up for the taking! He was a deadly dude, he liberated two countries from British and racial oppression without harming a single person on either side! What a genus! And there's a movie of his life and he has tonnes of his own writings + writings about him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

You know what's really interesting is the tenemants in Dublin, because of those tenements, Dublin had one of the highest mortality rates in Europe, reallly interesting stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm doing Robert Halpin, lad who laid the transatlantic cable from Valentia in Kerry to Newfoundland. He is local to where I live(in Wicklow) so its quite cool. Read plenty on him and just have to read it again except with taking notes now. Nothing too hard and I like it as it was the first ever time communications were made between Europe and USA. Imagine, it took an hour for the message to be sent between here and there and look now, 2 seconds.
    I did mine on Muhatma Ghandi, but then I dropped history, so he's up for the taking! He was a deadly dude, he liberated two countries from British and racial oppression without harming a single person on either side! What a genus! And there's a movie of his life and he has tonnes of his own writings + writings about him!

Brilliant. According to the Simpsons calendar, I have the same birthday as him. I class him as a hero to me. That film, I made three of my friends watch it while we aere all hungover on dat after Easter. Couldnt believe that we watched a five hour film on him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Way to resurrect a dead thread..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 unreg54756987

I did propaganda, and its efffect on the german people.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 joema

I did Lord Haw Haw (William Joyce). It was very easy - Id reccomend doing him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr Guy

hi, finding this info great for my special topic ideas thanks... but, any tips on how to narrow down my searches for sources and info to keep it factual/primary or safe secondary??

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

how should you write the extended essay?

can you say stuff like insert name, a member of the group wrote in his memoirs ''blah blah blah blah''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

I did propaganda, and its efffect on the german people.

lol. possibly one of the main themes of the syllabus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

lol. possibly one of the main themes of the syllabus

Not if it was as part of the old course.

Advertisement