Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help needed taking off wheel

• 02-10-2005 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Got a slow punture today so I was taking off the wheel, took out the 5 nuts etc but the wheel wouldn't budge. I noticed someone in two of the holes and i'm guessing they're stopping the wheel coming off. What are they? How do I get them off?
    This is the thing

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Cucullan wrote:
    Got a slow punture today so I was taking off the wheel, took out the 5 nuts etc but the wheel wouldn't budge. I noticed someone in two of the holes and i'm guessing they're stopping the wheel coming off. What are they? How do I get them off?
    This is the thing

never seen these but guessing they are some kind of retention washer, can you grab them with a grips and pull them off?
    or they way they look like strands maybe you can prie each strand to the left and loosen them?

if this doesn't work you could try lowering the car a bit and let the weight of the car drop onto the wheel which might pop these off, but this is a bit dangerous so be careful..

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

daveym wrote:
    never seen these but guessing they are some kind of retention washer, can you grab them with a grips and pull them off?
    or they way they look like strands maybe you can prie each strand to the left and loosen them?

if this doesn't work you could try lowering the car a bit and let the weight of the car drop onto the wheel which might pop these off, but this is a bit dangerous so be careful..
    Abit dangerous, I have visions ringing some lads to help me lift the car to put the wheel back on :D I never had Alloys on a car before so I guess they are some sort of deterant. I didn't go messing with a grips yet thought I'd check here first and see if anyone else came across them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Maybe they are cross threaded? anyway maybe break dust etc has welded your wheel on, put the nuts back on most of the way, leave a little play, drive it slowly giving a few turns to loosen the wheel off, obviously not on a main road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

If the wheel won't rattle with the nuts off it could be a hub flange used for lining up the holes for mostly non stud/nut types{like Golfs} steady the car on a 9" block and give it a good kick ass on ground with your heel on the tyre.
    as those washers don't seem strong enough to hold the wheel firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

The wheel is stuck to the hub, all that holds it on are the bolts.
    once the bolts are removed the wheel is free.
    What has happened is that the wheel has bonded to the hub due to eltrolytic action, because of two dissimiliar metals in close contact. in wet hot enviroment.
    There are a number of ways of breaking the bond, one is to drive to a car park ,loosen the bolts off a little(I stress a little just enough to let the wheel seperate from the hub), drive around in a circle, until the wheel lets go of the hub.
    Another is to jack the car up, place it on axle stands so it can't move, deflate the tyre, and using a piece of timber as a gaurd whack the wheel with a hammer.
    This usualy happens with alloy wheels so be carefull, alloy damages easily.
    When you replace the wheels use a barrier gel on the hubs so the wheel doesn't stick again.
    hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement