Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation from US to Ireland

Options
  • 03-10-2005 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi folks,
    I am going to be relocating from the US to Ireland in the next couple of weeks and I'm trying to decide what stuff i should take home with me and what stuff to leave here.

My question to ye is how easy it to get US electronics (110v) to work back home in Ireland? Is there something i can buy back in Ireland that i can plug gear into and not have it reduced to a soggy, melted mess? I’m a musician and I’ve accumulated quite a bit of gear over here that I really don't want to have to get rid of. The mains things are my H/D multi-tracker, f/x pedals and a couple of amps.

Any help greatly appreciated,
    Cheers
    Vaulter

P.S. Please move this thread if this isn’t the best forum for this question – Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You can get adapters for most of the plugs, I'd say. Also, check the back of the amps, and see if there is a switch to another voltage. Some of the stuff may be made for both sides of the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You'll need 230/110v transformers which tend to be big and ugly, but will work fine. They will be rated for certain amount Watts so you will need to calculate the total wattage being driven and buy and appropriate transformer(s).

As syco says, a some electrical have transformers on which you can select 110 or 230v, and if you have this then you can just switch to 230v and change the plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Vaultman

Thanks a lot for the feedback folks...

Just a follow up, The main thing I'm worried about getting back is the H/D multi-tracker - after all it has the last 2 years of work on it!

Being a total luddite, I'm blissfully ignorant when it comes to electrical stuff so i've attached a pic of the power supply - Can you tell anything from the image regarding whether it would work at home with just changing the "plug"?

pH, that 230/110v transformer sounds like just the thing - any ideas where I could pick one up in Dublin or maybe a link to somewhere that stocks them?

Again, thanks for the info, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yes, that one can deal with Irish voltage, so the only thing you need to change is the plug.

See the part where it says "Input 100-240V" - that's what you are looking for on all your equipment.

When I came back from the US (a year next Tuesday :( ) the only problem I had was with my wireless router. It needed an transformer that would convert the 240V to 12V - I got a multi-output adapter in Dixons in Liffey Valley.

As for the higher wattage stuf the others are talking about, I believe Peats on Parnell Street in Dublin may have what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Vaultman

Great stuff altogether - Thats a load of my mind knowing that i can get the multi-tracker home at least!

Thanks for all the great advice - Cheers lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Yeah, I believe Maplins do heavy duty 110-240V transformers up to 300VA (say 250w). I know that Amazon.com have some good high-powered adapters if you're using certain appliances for short periods of time, for example -

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000028F42/qid=1128671454/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-5262570-2064605?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

I use one of them for things like battery chargers and the like and it'll do heavy use appliances like irons and that (as long as you don't keep it plugged in all day :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

I was in Maplin today idly looking at some transformers for some hifi stuff. They had a small range only but you should find something to meet your needs. They have got a good catalog also and their sales assistants are very techy so they should be able to sort you out easy enuf. Maplin are on or near Jervis Street.

Peats Electronics also nearby may have a small range in stock . (Ask in Maplin)

Welcome to Oirland

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

I was in Maplin today idly looking at some transformers for some hifi stuff. They had a small range only but you should find something to meet your needs. They have got a good catalog also and their sales assistants are very techy so they should be able to sort you out easy enuf. Maplin are on or near Jervis Street.

Peats Electronics also nearby may have a small range in stock . (Ask in Maplin)

Welcome to Oirland

Advertisement