Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My BT B/B experience & some questions.

• 03-10-2005 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

A short summary and some questions to follow. Any help appreciated.

Ordered my BT B/B online on the 22nd. Rang to confirm details.

Recieved my modem on the 29th. No solid light.

Rang tech support, went through what seemed like a standard checklist. Socket, filters, cables etc.

Was told I needed a "line check", which could take 3-5 days.

Question: Anyone had this prob? If so what took place?

I'm just afraid of an Eircon line release saga taking place. It's a pity because of the speed of the order, I would only end up paying Eircon something like 20 euro for installing a new line !!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Its the DSL light is it on the Zyxel router?

try testing your line here http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_dsl_index.asp?i=1&i2=4&i6=34
    see where the line tester area is, just to check if your line passes.

afaik, they dont issue out Broadband because they check the line before the router is sent out.

another thing is have you made sure that you have put the router line cable into the modem side of the microfilter, and is their any other phones in the house off the same line? because they will need filters aswell (for some reason they do, i had the same fault aswell untill i put my digibox through a filter).

Other causes could be line noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭federerfan

Hi Sparky,

Sorry, yes its the DSL light on the Zyxel. It just flashes 6 or 7 times every minute or soo.

I havent gone near the PC with it yet. Filter is connected properly, and line passes.

I've tried it direct in the wall also, no joy.

Fed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Perhaps the line is not enabled yet at the exchange.

yeah line probably not enabled yet in exchange, maybe bt are being arses again and have lost a request for service to be enabled on your number.

federerfan wrote:
    I've tried it direct in the wall also, no joy.

Fed

If you try it direct in the wall without a filter it still wont work, afaik i done that the minute i got my modem and discovered i need the microfilter
    Other cause could be a faulty microfilter. but thats a one in a thousand chance if you get me.
    you have your username with @iolbb at the end of it do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Sparky_S wrote:
    If you try it direct in the wall without a filter it still wont work, afaik i done that the minute i got my modem and discovered i need the microfilter
    Actually, it works perfectly well for me - until I get a phone call which interferes with the DSL signal, and the net dies instantly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You sure you've got it set up correctly? If you don't have username, password and all other settings, it probably won't connect properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The exact same thing happened to me. I tried changing the filter, plugging the router directly into phone socket, etc,etc. BT got an eircom engineer to inspect the line at the exchange and apparently it was working fine.
    They sent me out a new modem and all problems were fixed.

Eircon engineer called, said everything was hunky dory. Nice guy, said he'd put it down as a faulty socket to save me being charged anything..

Got a solid light on his modem.

Called back to BT. Sending out a new modem.

Hope its the same as lafortezza, faulty modem.

Its a pity, cause if it had worked first time, I would have been up and running in a week from the order.

Though if I get the replacement tomorrow, it will only be 2 weeks. And judging from some of the threads on here I should be well happy.

Thanks for all the other replies..

Fed

Update:

So whadda you know, my modem didnt arrive.

So I duly spend my 25 minutes holding for tech support/cust care, whatever it is.

Connected to a snotty b**** called Michelle. She proceed to explain my modem had not been dispactched because of "internal ordering problems" and the guy who handles that "is not in yet".

This is 11am by the way.

Before I can get a word in she makes sure I have the address to send the faulty modem back !!

So I say I forget it I want to cancel and go with Eircon cause I know their modems work.

"if you feel like that then ring 1904" she says.

No apology
    No attempt to resolve the problem
    No attempt to hold me as a customer

So I ring 1904, on hold for 41 minutes. Had to hang up and have something to eat, was fading fast.

Rang back. Holding again. Got through and cancelled the lot.

It pains me to go back to Eircon....pains me...

What can we do when the other option is a bunch of underpaid amatures??

Fed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I havn't sent the faulty modem back. Makes a handy paperweight.

It would be hard to script it. My modem arrived this morning....

The day after I cancelled my order....

So once again, on the phone for 45 minutes.

Told nothing they can do. The cancellation has gone through.

I have to order all over again.

Took 3 weeks to get to this stage, and the cancellation goes through in a few hours. !!

Actually spoke to some nice people on there for a change, but god knows when I will be online.

At least I have a solid DSL light !!

Will probably end up with 3 modems...I mean paperweights..lol

If only I had waited another day, if only...

What a saga...

Fed

Advertisement