Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What dictates fashion?

• 03-10-2005 9:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Who dictates what the current fashion is?

Is it mass producers ie Topshop or Penneys

Or is it hip expensive designers ie gucci, D+G etc

or is there someone else controlling our fashion?
    Pighead worries about this question so much hes having trouble sleeping lately.
    I think fashion is influenced by us youngsters mostly(28 is still young isnt it?). Many street looks are adapted by designers, refined and made enormously expensive. Then they are "knocked-off" by more mainstream companies like "blaggers-(Pigheads faves)" which make them less extreme and more palatable for the masses at which time fads become trends and almost everyone who shouldn't starts walking around with a bare belly hanging over her jeans. Put those bellies away girls.Pigheads going to vomit soon.People get sick of this, reject the trend, and designers start casting about for new material.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Pighead wrote:
    Who dictates what the current fashion is?

The idiots who buy the stuff! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

AlienGav wrote:
    The idiots who buy the stuff! :rolleyes:

troll ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Lunar cycles methinks. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

You control your own fashion !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

A few things really.
    You have the big fashion houses showing off their wares - and then the highstreet copies them.
    The success of the likes of Topshop and Next is how fast they can recreate the catwalks style for the mass market.

There's also trendsetting and trendspotting.
    Bascially, seeing a fashionable trend from somewhere (like some music band or sports group (skaters etc..) and then bringing it to the masses.
    Baggy jeans anyone? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sarge wrote:
    You control your own fashion !
    Ah Sarge c'mon buddy get real.I have a great opinion of myself but i cannot claim to have dictated what clothes are in my wardrobe.Lets be honest here,in the 80's we all wore ordinary jeans because everybody else did and we didn't want to stand out.
    Thankfully in the 90's the Bootcut look became cool and everybbody looked good again.If that change in fashion hadn't arrived Sarge i guarantee you wouldn't own a pair of bootcuts today
    Disclaimer:Pighead guarantees will not hold up in a court of law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Hmm strange that . The question should of been who influence your decision to buy certain clothes.I know that only me gives the shop keeper my money to buy certain clothes. I see something i like in teh shop i buy it , otehr people ask where i got it and same with my friends also , If they wear something i like ill ask them where they bought it.My point is that i dont look at the cat walks, boy band members etc for my fashion sense i get that from within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Ones own style choices!!
    Many of us have the same style choices but there are millions out there. You have those "knacker" folk who all dress like they are going to the gym. You have skaters who like loose fitting baggy clothes, trendy folk who like old school..........list goes on :). There is not 1 high power influencing what we wear :rolleyes: .
    People dress differently in every corner of the globe, there is no dictatorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jothee

it's the sheep mentality i guess, more than anything. most people (myself probably included) have no sense of fashion or style. they wear what everyone else wears. how good they look depends on how good the current seasonal line is at river island, j&j etc.

the same guys you see walking around in pink polo shirts are same guys who would have called you "gay" for wearing pink a few years ago.

people are morons.

it's the sheep mentality i guess, more than anything. most people (myself probably included) have no sense of fashion or style. they wear what everyone else wears. how good they look depends on how good the current seasonal line is at river island, j&j etc.

the same guys you see walking around in pink polo shirts are same guys who would have called you "gay" for wearing pink a few years ago.

people are morons.

Now you see, this^^ is just another "style choice". You have chosen to wear what is in "Fashion", in the high street shops. This is probably the most common style choice, but its a very dull style choice. You have no say in what you wear, you see the hot guy dressed up in the window, and buy exaclty what he has on :D .
    Many style choices to choose from :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jothee

Now you see, this^^ is just another "style choice". You have chosen to wear what is in "Fashion", in the high street shops. This is probably the most common style choice, but its a very dull style choice. You have no say in what you wear, you see the hot guy dressed up in the window, and buy exaclty what he has on :D .
    Many style choices to choose from :).

true. but i don't think there's really that many "style choices".

essentially if we were to make a list i think we'd probably only come up with a dozen main style choices. the high street look, the skater look, the knacker look, the rocker/goth look, preppy look, etc

not much choice really

true. but i don't think there's really that many "style choices".

essentially if we were to make a list i think we'd probably only come up with a dozen main style choices. the high street look, the skater look, the knacker look, the rocker/goth look, preppy look, etc

not much choice really
    Today 13:16

Well maybe in ireland, but if we are talking on a world scale there are many more :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Perhaps there are but in Irish society teenagers and young adults tend to have a choice of 3-4 categorys.Come on Endurance think of your secondary school class
    70% "Norms"
    !0% -Hippy/Indie
    10%-skateboarder
    2%-death metal T-Shirt
    8%-Too cool for school,fashion slaves.
    C'mon buddy i'm right aren't I?

Perhaps there are but in Irish society teenagers and young adults tend to have a choice of 3-4 categorys.Come on Endurance think of your secondary school class
    70% "Norms"
    !0% -Hippy/Indie
    10%-skateboarder
    2%-death metal T-Shirt
    Today 14:06

Yup, sadly this is true in ireland :confused: . People dont seem to like change, and dont embrace it, i no, people thought i had just landed from planet weird and didnt take kindly to that.
    I think as the years go by this will change and people will be more willing to try new things and accept new ways, until then our eyes will have to get used to the Nike and Reebok way of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Pighead,the answer to your question is simple: I dictate what fashion is.
    If the Lady wears a fedora then the world shall wear fedoras!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm wearing one right now!

70% "Norms"
    !0% -Hippy/Indie
    10%-skateboarder
    2%-death metal T-Shirt
    90% of my class were death metal fans which i was rather happy about.
    There was no fashion slaves, some skaters,no indie and normal?wtf is that? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

the current trend for sequined shrugs/capes/cropped boleros came from highstreet chains and didnt feature at all in catwalk collections.
    that is all *me sits back in corner

Advertisement