Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at mars - problem

Options
  • 03-10-2005 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Help please!

I am having trouble looking at mars through my 10" Dobson. All I can see is a blob of orange or white i.e. no detail and can't even differentiate between a white poles and orange areas.. I had no problem earlier this year seeing Jupiter and Saturns Rings. Wondering if collimation would cause this problem and if anyone has a link to a quick way to resolve it.

Thanks in advance

Redman

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks for that, I will try it out

Redman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Redman, it could be colimation, or it was just bad luck at the time you were observing. Even though you should see some sort of detail in a 10" scope, seeing coditions have to be very favourable. Haze down here, light pollution and even conditions on Mars will affect what you see.

But also, don't forget - details you might see in amateur pictures WILL pick up detail the eye cannot. Exposure and processing standards help this.

Seanie.

Thanks for that Seanie M, I await a collimation kit which should be useful anyway and will check on the next clear night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Sounds good Red. And if you get some pics or sketches of what you see, show them off! There's a healthy group of astronomers on www.irishastronomy.ie that would be very interested in what you can see with that nice scope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Anyone get a good view on Mars since?
    Was out saturday night with the Bro's 10" Dob, was getting "hints" of poles and patches on Mars. Didn't have webcam so nada to show for it.
    Got to be the last mild nights observing this year, was very comfortable.
    Nice conditions for getting to know the constellations, bright moon / slight mist took away "distracting" stars!!!!!!!!

BTW Redman are you going for the tectron kit? It's good quality, got a set between my brother and me.

Martin

Hi Teadrinker

Yes I got the tectron set in from the US last week, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.(Lots going on to distract me in the house with DIY...)

Also picked up a Baader Microstage 6030 camera mount(from the ever helpful AndyMcCrea) to take a few more still images

So here's hoping - I will post once I suceed!

Redman

Judging by this morning's weather you would be better sticking with the DIY for now. Although this time of year, you can be sure of nothing.
    Take yesterday for example, beautiful morning, but Woeful by nightfall.
    Like the old saying, Blue sky in the morning, astronomers warning, red sky at night, astronomers smashes street lights.
    :eek:

Without getting a chance to collimate yet, I managed to get a really good view of mars last night. So presume my original problem was the conditions, however I will yet collimate!
    Anyone used a Logitech 4000 webcam for pulling in images - any recommendations on approach to do this?

Are you going to pull off the original lens and replace it with 1.25 nosepiece?
    Make plenty of frames at slowest frame rate, and combine the good ones only, use registax or astrostack. Plenty of options for you to play with... I think there is a guide you can download too...
    I suppose on the night getting your focus spot on is very important. tracking not 100% important, obviously not for you with Dobson, never mind, start on one edge of field let drift to other, so you get a good few frames.
    I think you can make a focus tool from cardboard or plastic, with 3 equidistant holes (like the points of triangle) of same size, mounted centrally over the front of your scope. I haven't tried it, but when pointed at a single star you are supposed to see 3 stars when out of focus, and as you reach focus they converge to one. Again you can probable get a good description of that on the web. Also, remember that the webcam will give an effective increase in focal length, making it harder to aim at stuff: make sure your finder is deadly! Some people say you need a UV filter with larger scopes like yours, try it and see how you go.
    Hope all works well for you....

• Advertisement

Yes, thanks for the advice Tea Drinker

Advertisement