Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Div not fully loading

Options
  • 03-10-2005 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Basically I have a site that imports its text, etc from a database - so the content of the site is dynamic.

However I have noticed, that with a static site, where I can define the height of a div (100%) if I try the same methodolgy with dynamic content, more often then not the div is not loading in fully and the page starts to go a pit screwy (the div could load in, whilst the content length would exceed the div's length)

Does anyone know if this is a common issue with regard to divs and dynamic content

I must point out that this issue only seems to occur with Firefox 1.x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I have seen this a few times with some sites.
    does the text do what it is supposed to do when you refresh the page?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Is there a link where we could have a look? Might be a bit easier to see what's going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

The height of anything set as a percentage should be taken to be a percentage of the viewable space on a browser window. If your div is the same height as the viewable space in your browser window, then that is as it should be. Internet Explorer I believe has trouble rendering (anything) this feature properly.

I believe there is a minimum-height property for a div, which you could try setting to 100%, and which should then grow bigger if necessary. I may be wrong, I recommend you have a look at the w3c standards for css to check this out.

As Serbian said, an auld link would be mighty helpful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Evilhomer, yes when the page first loads in (occasionally) it looks imperfect, however when the page is refreshed it looks fine

http://www.fonezone.com/ctrl/settings/editPhone;jsessionid=A2966C2FF13CA11EAC27589AAE64B18A.power

the above link (if you look in firefox) the grey main panel doesnt totally surround the main content - however if you refresh the page after it has loaded first time around, it works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I have seen this on the newscientist website too. this article suffers from it if you are using 1024 * 768.

I have seen this in all 1.0.x releases but have yet to find a bug report on it in bugzilla.
    Perhaps you should open one?

The only solution I have seen to this problem is removing the 100% height property from the div.

discussed here
    and here

I will have a better nose around for a bug repot on this, but thats all I know about it at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

you could try not defining a height and setting the overflow property to visible. This usually works for me. (can sometimes give problems if the div has a background-color)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

You could try adding a clearing div after the table that ends with "Email feedback with the make and model":
    <div style="clear: both; height: 1px; overflow: hidden;"></div>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

I've had this problem before and thought it was css when I'd actually not closed a </div> correctly. (just thinking of which template it was and the fix for it) .

I noticed this last year when I really started to change everything to xhtml/css and it's one to watch for as you can spend hr's with the css trying to fix it otherwise...(Memory horror ensues :( )....

edit: just looked at your page src. Any reason why you are linking 3 style sheets? I tried the site in i.e. and ff and see what you mean in ff. I tried using multiple style sheeys last year and whilst it works, I found it made the site unstable a bit causing similar problems to this. I now use 1 css to 1 site, makes it a bit long sometimes but the site is more stable.

Also, are you sure all three style sheets are present? only asking as it seems to be looking for a one called microsoft.css? if there missing I've found this can cause problems as well for some reason...

edit 2:

According to your page src you've nested a 'div' inside of a table - seem to remember reading over at w3c that is the wrong way around. Maybe thats whats causing your problem?

Not sure this is a css problem myself...Though for some strange reason ie displays it properly for a change

edit 4: hmm just relooked over the artcle/s - seems I misread some of it. But I'm sure I read something on this somewhere maybe over at zen garden?

Going by a similar prob I had though this was definately a page code problem. Have you passed it through a validator to see if it shows any thing up?

Advertisement