Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Of Leather Warning

Options
  • 03-10-2005 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

If anyone sees their tempting offers.. my advice is.. AVOID!!!!
    I ordered a 3 piece suite in June (bank Holiday monday). I was told 4 - 6 weeks. I was moving to a new house (my first) so i would have been in the new house by the time it was delivered.

anyway needless to say i heard nothing from them. So i went along and was told there was such demand etc etc that they did not know, maybe next week. so 2 weeks later, nothing. Eventually i leave them till near end of August and go back.. STILL no date. Im debating cancelling, i decide another week. Finally i get a call last thursday saying its in. I confirm my address in westmeath, my phone number etc and she says monday.. great..

Monday no suite. Why? Well the deliver guy calls to get directions.. i give them to him, he calls back again asking am i living near athlone? I said no thats 20 miles or so away but im on the Athlone road. He says... "Oh sorry we are doing dublin today not the midlands" they had the wrong address down.. they had my old dublin address down even though the docket has the WH address and it was confirmed right before delivery!!

So i cancelled. I took froday off then, went to mullingar got a suite delivered that evening!!

moral of the story is.. DO NOT buy from them unless you dont mind months over your EDD and lots of fúck ups!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yes indeed i've heard about these cowboys before .They make Shamrock Rovers look a slick professional outfit.
    I wouldnt mind but their shortcomings have been highlighted plenty of times before in the national press.Sort it out lads.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/oyb/goods_services/land_leather.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well i had no problem getting my deposit refunded.. or at least they said they would do it.. I will be keeping an eye on it naturally.

If i had just gone local in the first place. ah well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

i had the exact same problem with them, my brother bought a new house in mullingar and it was his birthday in july so i went in, bought him a suite of furniture he was looking at.
    i got the date for delivery which was meant to be a couple of days before his birthday-no arrival, not even a phone call. i rang them and they said it'd be another two weeks so ok i waited until then, took a day off work to go down so someone would be there when they arrived. i confirmed with them that they'd be delivering on said date and once again no arrival.
    i was then told another date which was cancelled, then another. needless to say i told them where to stick it as it was months after his birthday and i'd missed three days off work waiting on the suite.
    i got the deposit back but who is going to reimburse me for the three days holidays i too off which would add up to E540? this kind of trading is unacceptable. if you cant fill your orders dont take them.

Much better at cancelling orders it seems.. They re-imbursed my card that day :D
    Bunch of Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I bought a suite from them and they said delivery would be 10-12 weeks. It arrived after three weeks - unfortunately the wife was at home for the delivery as they had an extra two seater they were insisting was part of the delivery - she said no.

Also feel though that I could have bought cheaper elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think people have had a chance to read this. I'm going to move it to consumer issues where hopefully it'll get more attention.

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I have yet to get any furniture or appliance delivered on time ever! I have bought furniture for two homes and three rentals. The only way to get something seems to be actually pick it up yourself. The only ones that may give accurate times are the ones that say it will take six months but I never buy from them so maybe that is why they lie. ID Design was the worst experience ever but I luckily got my furniture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

never came across LOL but they are on the BBC Watchlist in NI for good ( as in bad) reason !

Reids are another bunch of complete tossers who refuse to deliver into peoples apartments , remember their ad this time last year ? from the asai.ie website

Complaint:
    A complaint was received regarding advertising by Reid Furniture for pre-Christmas delivery. The complainant visited a Reid Furniture store in October to purchase a sofa for delivery before Christmas. The sofa in question had a sticker on it which read “Order now for Christmas”, however, a shop assistant removed the sticker and told the complainant that delivery of the sofa would not take place until after Christmas. The complainant considered the advertising to be misleading.

Argos are the best of them for CS and after sales service, Reids and LOL have none .. or worse .

Oh consumer issues? Hmm you know i have only now noticed the BIZ section. I was looking for consumer issues type place but damn searching was off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 AnFearDearg

I ordered a suite from these cowboys 14 weeks ago. I was given a delivery time of 10-12 weeks. I sold my existing suite last week and so i went in to cancel the order from Land of Leather in order to buy one with immediate delivery. They are telling me that I can't cancel as I ordered it on finance. Is this true? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gtmail

I feel your pain. I went to there store in Athlone and ordered a suit on the 9th of April of this year. We put it on finance and when my partner had the papers signed I noticed that the guy dealing with us had wrote across them "non breakable" as in once signed there was no pulling out of it. I also wanted the suit which was in the paper for €799 but when we spoke with the sales man he said because of finance it would cost around €1500 and that is NOT including interest!:confused:
    Ok so all this I over looked, said great I will have a lovely new suit in what we were told would be 4 to 6 weeks. And of course it could be a lot soon.
    My god how stupit am I?
    We are now on our 8 week wait. No phone call not as much as a 'I'm sorry its late but...'
    What do I do now. Will I sit and wait? Should I ring store but if I do will the blow me off?
    How good are the if something happens my suit and I need to get it fixed? Will I be left waiting 8 weeks for that as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I went in 4 weeks ago or so, looking for the 3 + 2 recliner offer they had for €799 (maybe the same as above?) but was told it would be up to 16 week lead tme. Saw a different 3 + 2 recliner set for €899 with a 6 week lead time. Guy done it for €799 and ended up gettign a call 2 weeks later sayign the had it ready for delivery the next day. Been reclining in comfort for the last 2 weeks. :)

Forgot to say, the guy assembled the suite aswell (the backs just had to be slotted on, but still, at least I didnt have to do it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Do NOT even go into Land Of Sh1te Leather.

The products are utter CRAP and you are fleeced on the price.

Their "discounts" are made up and it has been proven by many consumer programmes that it is all a sham.

Unfortunately there are far too many people out there that believe the hyped advertising and consumer watchdogs don't give a rats ass about it.

Notice that most of the advertising is xx off the after promotion price. They simply have to put the price up for one day to get around rules. Or its xx of the rrp - they make the rrp's themselves!!!!!!

Scam Scam Scam.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

gtmail wrote:
    I noticed that the guy dealing with us had wrote across them "non breakable" as in once signed there was no pulling out of it.
    Id post in Legal Discussion to get views on the enforceability of this. Usually dont financial agreements have a 10 day opt out that needs an official waiver signed if are specifically doing away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Sponge bob wrote:
    Reids are another bunch of complete tossers who refuse to deliver into peoples apartments
    Is that for health and safety reasons or do the just not deliver to apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Just for the record, ordered off land of leather on a Friday, delivered following Tuesday.... almost 2 years later still happy with product and price...

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

jhegarty wrote:
    Just for the record, ordered off land of leather on a Friday, delivered following Tuesday.... almost 2 years later still happy with product and price...
    Must have got the original poster's, Saruman's, cancelled suite :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gabbygirly

I have to say that some of the comments on here about LOL are unfair. I have no doubt that some people here have had bad experiences with this company for one reason or another. But they cannot all be painted with the same brush. I know someone who works for them and that person is honest and upfront about fees, warranties, delivery times, etc. And if for some reason, if they have inadvertently given out incorrect information, they call the customer to let them know. I have purchased a 3-1-1 from them and have had no problems at all. The delivery came when it was suppost to. And for some who go on about finding furniture places that offer free delivery, please keep this in mind: NOTHING HERE, ESPECIALLY IN RIPOFF REPUBLIC OF IRELAND IS FREE!!!!!! The furniture companies increase the cost of the furniture to be able to offer "free" delivery. Having worked for many years here in retail, my experience with some Irish consumers is that when the slightest thing goes wrong, they either call up or call in and rant and rave and yell, spewing about their "rights" without acting like decent human beings. Mistakes do happen, people are human, as unfortunate as that might be. And to be fair, put yourself in the sales persons' shoes: who would you be more likely to go out of your way for and help with an issue: someone who is dissatisfied for whatever reason but is being firm but reasonable about their complaint or some idiot who gets on their soapbox screaming, shouting, and being unreasonable? If people here search their conscience, they know the answer. Some things in life go beyond someone/company, etc being right or wrong, but about being decent and reasonable. All I can say is I'm so thankful to be out of the retail industry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Gabbygirly wrote: »
    I have to say that some of the comments on here about LOL are unfair. I have no doubt that some people here have had bad experiences with this company for one reason or another. But they cannot all be painted with the same brush. I know someone who works for them and that person is honest and upfront about fees, warranties, delivery times, etc. And if for some reason, if they have inadvertently given out incorrect information, they call the customer to let them know. I have purchased a 3-1-1 from them and have had no problems at all. The delivery came when it was suppost to. And for some who go on about finding furniture places that offer free delivery, please keep this in mind: NOTHING HERE, ESPECIALLY IN RIPOFF REPUBLIC OF IRELAND IS FREE!!!!!! The furniture companies increase the cost of the furniture to be able to offer "free" delivery. Having worked for many years here in retail, my experience with some Irish consumers is that when the slightest thing goes wrong, they either call up or call in and rant and rave and yell, spewing about their "rights" without acting like decent human beings. Mistakes do happen, people are human, as unfortunate as that might be. And to be fair, put yourself in the sales persons' shoes: who would you be more likely to go out of your way for and help with an issue: someone who is dissatisfied for whatever reason but is being firm but reasonable about their complaint or some idiot who gets on their soapbox screaming, shouting, and being unreasonable? If people here search their conscience, they know the answer. Some things in life go beyond someone/company, etc being right or wrong, but about being decent and reasonable. All I can say is I'm so thankful to be out of the retail industry!

So, what are Land of Leather like as employers? Do you like working for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Lillyella wrote: »
    So, what are Land of Leather like as employers? Do you like working for them?

LOL at the above, she may just be genuinely outraged at the slurs against her "Friends" employer and felt strongly enough to register on boards so she could defend them.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I feel I should reply as this thread is a little one sided to date.

I ordered a 3 + 2 Leather Suite in Land of Leather in Newry on Wednesday 31st December 2008, yes last Wednesday, was given a delivery time of 4 weeks, which I was told would be the longest it would take and they would try to get it sooner, about half an hour later my wife got a phone call from the depot in Dublin to arrange delivery, Monday the 5th given as delivery date.

I was nervous after reading on here, but yesterday morning we got a phone call saying it was on its way, I went home at lunchtime to find a nice new suite all set up and in place.

I am sure some people have had bad experiences, but in my mind delivery on the second working day after placing the order is not bad at all. I will now kick back, and recline as it where, and await the accusations of being an employee of Land of Leather then will I? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 System.Web

Gabbygirly wrote: »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm have seen this post on a different message board.:pac:

Advertisement