Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Surf No Limits mixed with common sense

Options
  • 10-09-2001 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Lads and ladders,

There has been an unmericful amount of slagging of Esat and their offering of Surf No Limits being the first unmetered service of any telco/internet kind in Ireland. Remember who made this service a failure...Eircon did and not Esat.

Esat, in my honest opinion ARE indeed trying to help the 'net users of Ireland and are being held back by the big sour-krauts in Eircon HQ's sitting on big fat leather recliners laughing at the miserly ants beknownst as Home users.

If ANYONE is still on SNL,
    **** I strongly suggest to LOG OFF when you are not actively using the service. ****
    I.e. going for food, well then just disconnect and when you come back, reconnect (takes a few seconds and can be automated)

I dont work for Esat, blah blah speech....but am a home-user who wants to be smart in the usage of such a service in order to preserve it that bit longer...

Ba$tard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Ditto that, but praise esat too much, don't forget they're dragging their feet too. (imho, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

disconnect when going for food? are u mental?

altho I cant say much.. I didnt even disconnect when going to the pub or to sleep most nights.. probably explains why I was kicked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

My problem with Esat has nothing to do with Eircom.

Esat decided to disallow my subscription because I was costing them money and I have no problem with that but what did annoy me was the way in which Esat decided to implement their decision.

Their approach was dishonest and unfair and certainly does not inspire any confidence ... therefore I have have no interest in theie attempts to blame Eircom.

Esat made a business decision and introduced a service that was guaranteed to attract many subscribers away from Eircom and other ISPs, when the gamble failed they disconnected 2000 users (including myself), they blamed us by claiming that we were abusing the service and then when we formed a pressure group they jumped on the bandwaggon and started blaming Eircom.

During the IrelandOffline public session they managed to convince some that they were really the good guys because "they put their money where their mouth was" ... well they didn't did they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

they blaimed me, for it, i dodnt like that.

**** eircon and **** esat, thats what i say, allthough esat are a smarter animal while eircon is a big stupid ape like thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Gladiator
    eircon is a big stupid ape like thing

That, of course, is not IrelandOffline's "official" opinion, ... or what we tell the press ;)

Let's not forget, as infomat is saying, what spurred off the formation of this organisation. It's there to read in plain English on the "Formation" page of our web site:
    Although the concept of an Irish internet group has been around since 1999, the group has only recently come into existence - primarily as a reaction to the Esat Fusion decision to terminate its IOL No Limits account for 2000 'heavy users'. This decision by Esat Fusion at the start of May 2001 caused great anger, not only among the users whose accounts were to be cancelled, but also among many other users who saw it as a retrograde step for Internet access in Ireland, which was already in an abysmally bad state.

Esat Fusion gained many supporters through Derek Kickham's excellent little bit of P.R. at the seminar. As the Irish Times article reported, little was actually gained from the seminar apart from our coming of age as an organisation and the telcos, regulatory bodies and government properly sitting up and taking notice of us. That's not saying that nothing AT ALL came of it, of course, - it's just saying that we've still a long way to go before our true objectives are fully met. IrelandOffline are not ready to stop until this happens.

Esat may have tried hard with the SNL product - and fair play to them for doing so. A lot of what Derek Kickham said was completely true and justified, while some portion of it was simply playing to the crowd and/or taking advantage of the situation and publicly improving Esat's image while attacking Eircom's. That's not saying that Eircom DON'T deserve the odd attack (as Pat Galvin insinuated they don't...).

All this aside, Esat are not the pure innocent fluffy ISP that some may believe they are and they still have a lot to do before IrelandOffline's objectives are met properly, and before the Internet using Irish public will be properly satisfied.

Do I hear a "Hell Yeah!"? :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hell Yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Insert "Hel Yeah!" where desired ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hmmm, Hell Yeah!

Advertisement