Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What year carries the best dance memories for you...

• 03-10-2005 12:35pm

...another nostalgic one, but what was your favourite year for dance music?

Don't think I'll ever forget the period between 1989 and 1992, and 1992 was the highlight. While the songs may have been out in 91 in the UK, by the time I got my hands on recordings they were usually old anyway. But starting Uni meant heading to Sir Henrys in Cork, charts full of cheesy but great stuff like Shamen's Ebenezeer Goode, Felix's Don't You Want My Love, Snap's Rhythm is a Dancer, Prodigy's Everybody in the Place, you kinda felt like you were actually part of this new movement in music and things would never be quite the same...great days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Well, there's a few...

That same period is one of my favourites as it's when I first starting going clubbing. Was a poor student the time but somehow managed to have many great nights out.

1994 as it was the year I really got into dance music. Saturday nights in the Kitchen (even though I was stuck behind the bar and not on the dancefloor) were amazing: Orbital, Underworld, Leftfield, Fluke, FSOL, Moby etc.

Also the summer of 1999 (although trance was hugely popular which I'm not as keen on these days). Memories of various house parties and beach parties. Didn't really go out to clubs much that year, but didn't really need to. :)

I've a feeling this year will be one to look back on fondly too, as it's the year I went to Ibiza for the first time and rediscovered house and electro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

1990 id say although any period really between 1990-1995 ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Probably '94 as it was the first year I started clubbing. Many fond memories though too prior to that of free gafs, acid, mix tapes and CD's :D Oh, and swearing we will never touch the evil e :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I would say 1987 to 1989 bring back the most vivid memories esp. of Camden Palace and Ministry of Sound in London when the whole acid house thing kicked off.

But I also remember many good times circa 1992 to 1994 when the whole club thing in Dublin was in full effect with some truly classic tunes.

dSTAR wrote:
    I would say 1987 to 1989 bring back the most vivid memories esp. of Camden Palace and Ministry of Sound in London when the whole acid house thing kicked off.

Was always envious of people who got to experience the start of the scene, at that stage I was still heading up to the local shops for a dan bar and at best we would get a 5 spot at the weekend :eek: ...5 spot actually have not heard that in years let alone type it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

What the hell is a 5 spot? :confused:

Anima wrote:

Presume it's something between a 4 spot and a 6 spot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anima wrote:

Ah bless! ;)

It is/was a £5 deal of hash, normally bought in a field!! ;):D

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Ah bless! ;)

It is/was a £5 deal of hash, normally bought in a field!! ;):D

B.

We used to get it from a guy who sat at the other side of a stream/river at a certain time every Friday night. You had to put the fiver in cig box with a stone and throw it over, then he would put the 5 spot in and throw it back. All very sophisticated :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Hah, did he ever just run off after you threw the money? :)

• Advertisement

No, he was a serious business man ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

99/00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

dSTAR wrote:

But I also remember many good times circa 1992 to 1994 when the whole club thing in Dublin was in full effect with some truly classic tunes.

Whirly Gig per chance? ;) As for the dance scene - 89 when I went to my first all nighter ran by Circus Warp - directions I got were totally wacked

Goto bath/head out to Devices(right out of Bath?)/ Head down main rd turn left at first traffic lights past the Somerset Police HQ and follow the road - oh yeah and just open the window - you'll hear it before you see it lol ..

Been at ever since either going to or putting on gigs in barns, on beaches, woods, marquees - as long as it's all night and Free.... :)

Advertisement